Draft R2 #63: Rangers select LW Adam Sýkora (HK Nitra, Slovakia)

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
It kind of feels dirty to have a sykora. I just think Devils when i hear that name.

Kid sounds good though. Heres hoping he can become a solid middle sixer
10367602-large.jpg

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010
This all DOES sound good... but would still agree that he had to drop as far as this for reasons, be they good ones or not, and I'd be interested to know what those were.
we disagree on how much value any of the pundit prospect rankings actually offer,
I truly believe guys drafted between 40 and 160 have about the same likelihood of making it, and that all the Entry Draft rankings are based on too little useful data and too much speculation/projection.

Ranking NCAA college football guys in their '20's, with multiple years playing at that level,offers some genuine basis to project players' performances as pros.

I don't believe that is anywhere near as true re NHL Entry Draft eligible players. Players and leagues are too young.

Riche16

McCready guitar god
Aug 13, 2008
The Dreaded Middle
sometimes the fact are promising
he's 17,
had a contributing role on Nat'l team at (Men's) Worlds,
and was first overall in the CHL Import draft

no one is saying he's 'can't miss'
he doesn't have size, or huge O skills, and plays mostly (it seems) on wing
BTW... don't misunderstand me. Not poking holes, just wondering why he fell and something for me to set my own expectations for him... that's all

Reactions: egelband

Lays

Jan 22, 2017
I’m going to go with a Tyler Motte comparison. I know I mentioned Vatrano too. Had Sykora late 1st/early 2nd (I only really personally ranked the top 15 guys)

My only advice for him would be to switch to a shorter stick to be more effective. He lugs that branch around sometimes

Otherwise, shot blocking fiend. Forechecking beast. Incredible stick work. Shoot first player. I do think he makes the NHL surprisingly quick. Maybe has a strong camp this season and follows it up with making the team in 2023/2024

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
I’m going to go with a Tyler Motte comparison. I know I mentioned Vatrano too. Had Sykora late 1st/early 2nd (I only really personally ranked the top 15 guys)

My only advice for him would be to switch to a shorter stick to be more effective. He lugs that branch around sometimes

Otherwise, shot blocking fiend. Forechecking beast. Incredible stick work. Shoot first player. I do think he makes the NHL surprisingly quick. Maybe has a strong camp this season and follows it up with making the team in 2023/2024
For some reason this post reminded me of Zuccarello playing his whole ass career with a nine-foot lance.

Works for him I guess.

hackeyman

Jun 26, 2018
Sounds like
Few players match Sýkora’s intensity on the ice. He’s all-in, every shift. He bounces from opponent to opponent, barely giving them any time to handle the puck, blocks shots like he’s immune to pain, and attacks loose pucks like the fate of the world depends on his ability to catch them. On the backcheck, he pursues escaping opponents and completely neutralizes them. -EliteProspects 2022 NHL Draft Guide
Based on this description you would think GG picked him.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Black Book had him @ #30.

Thier scouts either loved him or hated him.

Good reviews:
"He's a hybrid of Tyler Motte and Kailer Yamamoto"
"Smart, and works his tail off every shift"
"Pissed off ay myself for not realizing how good he is earlier in this process. The worst part is that he's the type of player I value and absolutely love, especially going back to my coaching days"

Bad Reviews:
"Another said he works hard but ha zero translatable skill. Not really on thier radar."
"Lack foo high end skill will keep him from being a regular on the top two lines"
"Zero transferable skill" is amazing. I love that take.

• Haha
Reactions: SnowblindNYR

UnSandvich

Sep 7, 2017
Iirc the Black Book had him pegged as a 30-35 pt Middle/Bottom 6er. Coupled with his skating & defensive game, I take that with this roster all day long. I’ll post more about the pick when I get home from work lol, but I do absolutely love it.

Reactions: Rangers in 7

Ruggs225

Oct 15, 2007
Long Island, NY
is anyone really strictly a wing? these are the questions that keep my up at night....

You know what kept me up.

Trying to think of where i would want Bedard to end up out of Isles, pens or debbies.

Bc u know its gonna happen that a metro team wins the lottery. Philly has great odds too, but i would clearly rather them than these other three. Same with washington.

Reactions: OriginalLimbo

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
Yamamoto/Motte hybrid is a really, really good player considering that each of those players strengths is the others weakness.

Does it mean that he'll get there? Of course not, but its a fun comp.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad