Post-Game Talk: [R1G4 Stanley Cup Playoffs] Colorado Avalanche @ Seattle Kraken - 7:00 p.m. PT / 10:00 p.m. ET

Kat Predator

Nov 28, 2019
Difference between a chicken shit elbow and a more routine, but still illegal, shoulder to shoulder hit along the boards. Cernak is out for his series. Hoping McCann's CC is not severe and doesn't require a multi day protocol.
McCann is out for the rest of the series from what I'm hearing. So the difference is zero.

Kat Predator

Nov 28, 2019
The puck wasn't in the area. Bunting's hit on Cernack happened near the left goal post. The puck was along the boards, not within easy stick reach of either player.

That said, I would have given Makar 2 games because if anything, Makar's hit was the more dangerous, sending a player facefirst into the boards off balance is never a good look and the puck was nowhere nearby as far as I can see. The reason Bunting gets 3 games is because not only was his hit dangerous, it was clearly premeditated, and would have been completely illegal even if it didn't result in severe injury.

Makar's it was still deliberate, but not quite so obvious that it was premeditated. Two guys fighting for ice position and Makar overpowered McCann and shoved him into the boards in a questionable play. Still an illegal hit, but nothing like Bunting's flying elbow right into the face of a defenseless player nowhere near the puck.

Bottom line, the difference between Makar and Bunting is the difference between a reckless hockey play that the league is trying to eliminate, and aggravated assault.

Sorry for any confusion. I know the Bunting hit was when the puck wasn't on either player's stick. What I meant is the puck was in play. As in, the puck wasn't in a fan's hand behind the glass.

Renopucker

Jan 17, 2019
Reno
McCann is out for the rest of the series from what I'm hearing. So the difference is zero.
The result is the same. My only point is I played the game at a pretty high level and I’d rather have a guy run me along the boards than sucker elbow me out of nowhere.

Kat Predator

Nov 28, 2019
Anyway, Makar got a 1 game suspension. Somewhat surprised. Somewhat pleased by that. Not as much as Bunting because DOPS factors in things like previous history, etc. I'm not going to change my mind that Makar's hit wasn't more dangerous nor that he didn't know exactly what he was doing.

Carry on.

Kat Predator

Nov 28, 2019
The result is the same. My only point is I played the game at a pretty high level and I’d rather have a guy run me along the boards than sucker elbow me out of nowhere.
Thanks for the explanation. Appreciated. I think both cases were sucker hits.

The worst concussion I ever got wasn't even playing a game. I was teaching my kid how to skate and some asswipe kid slewfooted me out of nowhere. Hit the back of my head on the ice like a fell out of a 3rd story window. Sucker hitting people is a dick move.

Reactions: Renopucker

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad