Post-Game Talk: [R1G4 Stanley Cup Playoffs] Colorado Avalanche @ Seattle Kraken - 7:00 p.m. PT / 10:00 p.m. ET

Scomerica

Aug 14, 2020
Seattle, Wa
Very much feels like Colorado are clearly the more talented team but that Seattle isn't going to go down without a massive fight. Seattle has been in every game so far. The difference has been that it feels like every Seattle goal has been a battle to get so far requiring massive effort whereas Colorado's stars just have that potential moment of magic where they just waltz down without having to beat umpteen people.

I know i'll likely be thinking what if with McCann but i'm still doing more so with Burakovsky. Before his injury at the all star break we were second in the pacific. I know we likely were due a drop but i don't think as far and we really really missed him at points.

Reactions: Renopucker

SImpelton

Mar 1, 2018
What a wonderful win. Coming out s ostrong in the opening minutes of the game paid off in spades, even if the Avs came back. The Kraken have momentuum now. Even if the series winds up going the other way the Kraken have demonstrated to the world that they belong. The team belongs, the fans belong, the franhise belongs.

It generally takes longer than 2 years to declare an expansion a success, but the Kraken are on the cusp of making it real. Well done boys, well done fans!

Reactions: BAdvocate

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Whatever punishment you think Makar should get, be prepared because he will get less. That's the way the NHL works

Reactions: Kat Predator

BAdvocate

Mediocrity is the enemy of any Dynasty
Feb 27, 2003
youtu.be
Very much feels like Colorado are clearly the more talented team but that Seattle isn't going to go down without a massive fight. Seattle has been in every game so far. The difference has been that it feels like every Seattle goal has been a battle to get so far requiring massive effort whereas Colorado's stars just have that potential moment of magic where they just waltz down without having to beat umpteen people.

What a wonderful win. Coming out s ostrong in the opening minutes of the game paid off in spades, even if the Avs came back. The Kraken have momentuum now. Even if the series winds up going the other way the Kraken have demonstrated to the world that they belong. The team belongs, the fans belong, the franhise belongs.

It generally takes longer than 2 years to declare an expansion a success, but the Kraken are on the cusp of making it real. Well done boys, well done fans!
Coyotes fan popping in (thank you) ... last year I was (popping in the Blues forum) rooting for the Blues when the Playoffs started.... I'm seeing a lot of similarities so far between the Kraken/Avs series as the Blues/Avs last year. The big difference however, one a proud battle-tested former Stanley Cup Champion on its last legs/hurrah while the Kraken in only it's 2nd season. Both the way the Kraken responded in game 3 after going down 3-1 was impressive and to lose a 2 goal lead and get the OT win in game 4 are very impressive...even more so given the opponent. They talk about teams having to lose and learn lessons in the playoffs, but it seems as if the Kraken have already received those lessons despite this being their first ever playoff series. That's a credit to the players and the Kraken organization for the roster they've assembled.

The Kraken future looks bright. There is 0 debate....the Kraken Franchise belongs and is strong!

Reactions: The Marquis

RainyCityHockey

Dec 24, 2019
Germany

Saw this stat on twitter.

Obviously missing Makar is a big deal for Colorado but it also gives us extra pressure to win game 5.

I don't think there's more pressure on us at all.
We'll just go out and roll the lines we've got left.

Missing McCann will be tough cause it's the 2nd top six guy we don't have availalbe and now we'll probably have to mix and match with Donato getting some top six looks as well.

I'd also call up Lind or McCormick to have another option for the bottom six.

Renopucker

Jan 17, 2019
Reno
The Bunting hit on Cernak got him 3 games suspension. It was a high hit to the head that injured Cernak, but in the course of regular play. The puck was somewhat in the area. Not in the netting on the other side of the rink. Just as dangerous and intentional though.

We'll see if NHL DPS has different rules for different jerseys. The Makar hit was actually worse than Bunting in that you can see Makar knew McCann had let up from the one angle and went head hunting with his upper arm/elbow to his head anyway.

Makar's excuses (1) he didn't know where the puck was and (2) blame the victim are more like admissions.
Difference between a chicken shit elbow and a more routine, but still illegal, shoulder to shoulder hit along the boards. Cernak is out for his series. Hoping McCann's CC is not severe and doesn't require a multi day protocol.

CascadiaPenguin

Sponsor
Jul 5, 2017
The Salish Sea

Missing McCann will be tough cause it's the 2nd top six guy we don't have availalbe and now we'll probably have to mix and match with Donato getting some top six looks as well.

We're playing with house money. They're a star-heavy team now minus a star. Winning this series may be a reach, but extending it to at least 6 is very satisfying. Last night was maybe the most fun I've ever had at a hockey game.

GrungeHockey

Sep 14, 2021
Well I'm not surprised by it only being one game. Typical NHL double standards but it does provide an opportunity for the next game. Win that game and you shift the entire series. next man up right? That's what playoff winners have to do.

It was a gutsy performance to tie the series. We're still a long shot, because we're just not very deep (as an expansion team) but that game was playoff hockey with all the hate it brings and if we keep bringing it we can take this thing further and the further it goes the more it becomes an anything can happen series.

Scomerica

Aug 14, 2020
Seattle, Wa

If you look at the main board most said Avs in 5. We've already beat that. If we win next game the pressure is on Colorado a ton.

Scomerica

Aug 14, 2020
Seattle, Wa
One thing I was worried about and hasn't happened. Gru hasn't lost us a game. He's been pretty decent, probably player of the game in game 1. Would argue he could do nothing about the goals conceded and has had some big saves. I hope he takes that confidence and form into next season. Would remove a big concern.

Reactions: kihei and Kevinsane

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
There was a time when the news of Makar's measly suspension wouild have upset me. But the Neanderthals that run NHL discplinary punishment have been more consistent than the tides in their terrible and often biased decisions when it comes to egregious violence on the ice. It makes the league look like a joke, but seemingly this embarrassing stupidity is going to be with us forever.

Kevinsane

Kraken up.
Apr 11, 2022
Dawson Creek, BC
There was a time when the news of Makar's measly suspension wouild have upset me. But the Neanderthals that run NHL discplinary punishment have been more consistent than the tides in their terrible and often biased decisions when it comes to egregious violence on the ice. It makes the league look like a joke, but seemingly this embarrassing stupidity is going to be with us forever.
It’s stunning. Add in the new barrage of gambling sites and it raises concerns that the NHL really needs to address.
The DOPS has always been wildly inconsistent, but the scrutiny is greater now than ever before.

RayMartyniukTotems

Jul 8, 2022
Whatever punishment you think Makar should get, be prepared because he will get less. That's the way the NHL works
The p***y Makar got 1 game suspension! Look for Steroid Monkey Brad Hunt to enter the line up! Good to see the NHL showed some Balls(Hanno mostrato alcuni palle)!!!Eat shit to all the Fake "Bobby Orr" fans!!!Mange la merde!!!

Only one game is chickenshit.
Like I said, Makar needs to eat a Kraken elbow to the chops at some point, within the game of course.
Love to see fake"Bobby Orr" get his just "reward"!When McCann comes back in game 6-7 love to see some payback...That would be the civilized way to do it...

RayMartyniukTotems

Jul 8, 2022

I don't understand why Sprong isn't put with Wennberg...I'm not crazy Daniel could pot more goals given more minutes...he has potential for 30-40 goals...Kole Lind could play RWing in a pinch on the 4th line

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
One thing I was worried about and hasn't happened. Gru hasn't lost us a game. He's been pretty decent, probably player of the game in game 1. Would argue he could do nothing about the goals conceded and has had some big saves. I hope he takes that confidence and form into next season. Would remove a big concern.
If that happened, it alone would make our playoffs a rousing success. It probably depends on how well Grubauer plays the rest of the way. If he stays as good as he has been, that could be a big stepping stone to improved play next year. What a big bonus that would be because we are unlikely to be so amazingly successful five-on-five next year.

Reactions: CascadiaPenguin

CascadiaPenguin

Sponsor
Jul 5, 2017
The Salish Sea
If that happened, it alone would make our playoffs a rousing success. It probably depends on how well Grubauer plays the rest of the way. If he stays as good as he has been, that could be a big stepping stone to improved play next year. What a big bonus that would be because we are unlikely to be so amazingly successful five-on-five next year.
I did not see this coming. I pronounced Gru toast mid-season. It is clear I don't know what I am talking about. He has played very solid, very controlled. Most of the shots that have gotten past him would have gotten past anyone (Mac's G3 sprint and rocket, for example). But Holy Hell, the boys are giving it all in front of Gru. Insane amount of blocked shots. Dudes must be covered in ice packs after the game. This type of unselfish behavior can unnerve a team that relies on star talent.

As for next year, I'll take a reversion to the mean for our 5-on-5 play if we can get our PP above 20%. That's not asking too much, is it?

SImpelton

Mar 1, 2018
The Bunting hit on Cernak got him 3 games suspension. It was a high hit to the head that injured Cernak, but in the course of regular play. The puck was somewhat in the area. Not in the netting on the other side of the rink. Just as dangerous and intentional though.

We'll see if NHL DPS has different rules for different jerseys. The Makar hit was actually worse than Bunting in that you can see Makar knew McCann had let up from the one angle and went head hunting with his upper arm/elbow to his head anyway.

Makar's excuses (1) he didn't know where the puck was and (2) blame the victim are more like admissions.
The puck wasn't in the area. Bunting's hit on Cernack happened near the left goal post. The puck was along the boards, not within easy stick reach of either player.

That said, I would have given Makar 2 games because if anything, Makar's hit was the more dangerous, sending a player facefirst into the boards off balance is never a good look and the puck was nowhere nearby as far as I can see. The reason Bunting gets 3 games is because not only was his hit dangerous, it was clearly premeditated, and would have been completely illegal even if it didn't result in severe injury.

Makar's it was still deliberate, but not quite so obvious that it was premeditated. Two guys fighting for ice position and Makar overpowered McCann and shoved him into the boards in a questionable play. Still an illegal hit, but nothing like Bunting's flying elbow right into the face of a defenseless player nowhere near the puck.

Bottom line, the difference between Makar and Bunting is the difference between a reckless hockey play that the league is trying to eliminate, and aggravated assault.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad