Euro: R16: Wales v Denmark, 6/26/2021

tuozzi

Dec 9, 2011
Turku
Denmark has looked good in all of their games despite losing two of them. It's a real shame about Eriksen. With him I think they could have been a dark horse to go all the way.

Edit.
I normally don't want other Nordic countries to do well in football. It accentuates how much Finland sucks. :laugh: This time I'm firmly on the Denmark band wagon, though. :thumbu:

PanniniClaus

Oct 12, 2006
Fascinating matchup..

Damsgaard's entry changed the Danes game... he is a dribbler and takes people on all over the place.

I wonder of Wales will go with a back 3 again? Page said he went with wingbacks to take the d load off James and Bale... I think the Wales offense runs better though with a front 3 with Moore as the centerpiece and Ramsey floating around in behind.

TheGreenTBer

shut off the power while I take a big shit
Apr 30, 2021
Denmark has looked good in all of their games despite losing two of them. It's a real shame about Eriksen. With him I think they could have been a dark horse to go all the way.

Edit.
I normally don't want other Nordic countries to do well in football. It accentuates how much Finland sucks. :laugh: This time I'm firmly on the Denmark band wagon, though. :thumbu:

I have a totally random and off-topic question: When people of other Nordic countries speak to a Dane, do they do so in English? Because the Danish accent to me (a monolingual English speaker) is almost completely impossible to understand. I can listen to Swedish and Norwegian and pick out some words but Danish? Forget it, it's as if I'm on another planet.

QuietContrarian

May 28, 2008
I have a totally random and off-topic question: When people of other Nordic countries speak to a Dane, do they do so in English? Because the Danish accent to me (a monolingual English speaker) is almost completely impossible to understand. I can listen to Swedish and Norwegian and pick out some words but Danish? Forget it, it's as if I'm on another planet.
Danes are known to not pronounce words as they read, you would never learn it by only reading it, you would have to also hear it spoken - And some of the grammar is non existent, or at least some of the language is not explainable thru grammar.

Danes understand Swedes and Norwegians perfectly fine, but they do not always understand Danes, and often make fun of Danes for their “clumsy” language.

How To Master The Very Tricky Rules Of Danish Pronunciation

Reactions: TheGreenTBer

TheGreenTBer

shut off the power while I take a big shit
Apr 30, 2021
Danes are known to not pronounce words as they read, you would never learn it by only reading it, you would have to also hear it spoken - And some of the grammar is non existent, or at least some of the language is not explainable thru grammar.

Danes understand Swedes and Norwegians perfectly fine, but they do not always understand Danes, and often make fun of Danes for their “clumsy” language.

How To Master The Very Tricky Rules Of Danish Pronunciation

Thanks. While I have a passion for languages I do not have the talent; I'm old and stupid.

Reactions: QuietContrarian

Gobben

Jan 22, 2019
I like 24 teams in principle, but I don't know if a round of 16 is needed. I think 8 groups of 3 were tried at some point in some tournament, but I'm not opposed.

In 82 they had two group rounds. Six groups of four became four groups of three, and then semifinals after that.

1982 FIFA World Cup - Wikipedia

Another way of doing it is having 4 groups of six, but with a round of 16 that means 9 games. And in that format it is possible that some matches will be meaningless. Even so I think it is a better system than the one they are using for 24 teams.

Gobben

Jan 22, 2019

We speak Scandinavian most of the time.

The trick to understand Danish is for us to listen to it when we are not a part of the discussion. Pretty soon you will understand what it is they do, and after that it is easy.

So, once you understand that Råjsbläsn, is really Rådhusplatsen, it becomes just another dialect, and you can then automatically understand it.

In Sweden there are dialects that are far more difficult to understand than standard Danish.

Those who speak English are lazy persons, that probably have problems even with dialects of their own language.

tuozzi

Dec 9, 2011
Turku
To add to the other good responses you got, most of us Finnish speaking Finns speak English with all other Nordics. Swedish is studied in school, but few no it so well that it would make sense to use it over English.

Personally, I can understand the Swedish spoken here in Finland, most of the Swedish spoken in Sweden and some Norwegian. Danish, however, is total gibberish to me.

member 305909

This is undeniably a bit artificial tournament-format but yet much better than the one used in the 1982 WC. The mid group-stage was a fiasco and no wonder they abandoned that system after one go.

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
Bale is looking dangerous. When he plays for Wales he only thinks about football, elsewhere his brain is on the golf course ;)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad