World Cup: R16: Spain vs. Russia, 7/1/2018

Who advances?

• Total voters

member 51464

Spain living down to the worst stereotypes of soccer being endless, pointless passing.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
Spain living down to the worst stereotypes of soccer being endless, pointless passing.
av2.jpg

Eisen

Sep 30, 2009
Duesseldorf
Russia didn’t get the penalty because they were putting Spain under pressure and Pique had to drag someone down to prevent a goal. It was a lucky/dumb play that Piques arm was up there. If his arm is down the ball goes harmlessly away.

Russia did nothing to create a chance or the goal.
To be fair, Spain only scored because the defender showed some village turf behaviour.

Shrimper

Trick or ruddy treat
Feb 20, 2010
Essex
I think Belgium are the only top team that have been continually impressive in this World Cup so far, and not just in one game or for a period of play.

Reactions: Blender

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
I think Belgium are the only top team that have been continually impressive in this World Cup so far, and not just in one game or for a period of play.
I'd say Croatia as well, if you consider them a top team.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
Spain barely trying to score, Russia not trying to counterattack at all. Thrilling game.

Reactions: Tryamw

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
To be fair, Spain only scored because the defender showed some village turf behaviour.

My criticism of Russia is in no way meant to be an endorsement of Spain as they have been embarrassing with how conservative they have played.

But at least their goal was created by them putting pressure on Russia and forcing them to make a poor play.

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Well, Russia has a defensive plan; no sign of an offensive plan, though.

Tryamw

Loyal Fan of Jerks
Sponsor
Nov 2, 2016
Durham
There is passing for purpose and then there is whatever Spain is doing on the pitch. (Passing for the sake of passing? /shrug)

maclean

Jan 4, 2014
i can't remember, did they make it so you get an extra sub if it goes to extra time?

Reactions: Tryamw

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
I have a soft spot for Spain in general (food, weather, art etc), but god that national team is boring.

Love Russia (especially their literature), but difficult to support athletes from Russia considering their recent history with doping (Spain might be almost as bad though).

Not sure why I’m watching this.

East Coast Bias

Feb 28, 2014
NYC
Blasting crosses into the box where the two guys on your team are 5’6” and 5’9” seems like a bad strategy.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $340.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Bologna vs Udinese
    Bologna vs Udinese
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $365.00