World Cup: R16: Spain vs. Russia, 7/1/2018

Who advances?

• Total voters

Tryamw

Fan of Jerks
Sponsor
Nov 2, 2016
Durham
I think if it went off his arm and it was in a more typical jumping chicken wing he wouldn't have gotten called but above his head? Just being sloppy and he paid for it. (At best)

Turtleneck Plek

Real Life
Mar 23, 2008
Montreal
How is that a handball off a deflection? My understanding is it has to be non inadvertent in that it has to go immediately off you and not off another player. I’ve never once seen a deflected ball called a handball

I'm guessing the ref judged that if it wasn't for Pique's hand, the ball might've gone to a Russian player who could've had a clear scoring chance. Since Pique's handball canceled an action where a scoring chance might have happened, it affected the play enough for the ref to call it. I was surprised they gave it however.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
This Spanish team simply can't manage to get out of their own way. It will catch up with them sooner than later.
They are really disorganized. Even with all of their possession today, they are making a lot of bad passes and guys are often out of position and clumped together. I can't see them beating anyone good playing like this.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Same thing happened in the France - Argentina match.

Possession means f*** all if you are trying to nurse a 1-0 lead.

All it takes is one break.

senators101

Jan 17, 2008
T.O.
How is this much different than the Argentina Nigeria penalty that wasn't called. No intention to play the ball with the hand, pique wasn't even facing the ball and it hit his arm.

For the record, I think they're both penalties, but a lot of people in that thread thought the Argentina one wasn't.

Tryamw

Fan of Jerks
Sponsor
Nov 2, 2016
Durham
How is this much different than the Argentina Nigeria penalty that wasn't called. No intention to play the ball with the hand, pique want even facing the ball and it hit his arm.
Hand in a much more natural position in a jump. Unless your playing volleyball jumping is not typically done with hands above your head.

ViD

#CBJNeedHugs
Sponsor
Apr 21, 2007
Blue Jackets Area
Always like seeing bad things happen to Pique but hate that Russia gets a fluke penalty they absolutely don’t deserve.

Spain only have themselves to blame as this game should have already been 4 or 5 nothing by now.
Why didn’t it deserve? Spain had 0 shots until Russia tied it up

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
How is this much different than the Argentina Nigeria penalty that wasn't called. No intention to play the ball with the hand, pique want even facing the ball and it hit his arm.

For the record, I think they're both penalties, but a lot of people in that thread thought the Argentina one wasn't.

The ball went in off his own head.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009

How is it different...Are you actually asking that? The Argentina player played the ball himself, it wasn't a scoring chance from the opposition. The Argentina player headed the ball accidentally into his arm which wasn't over his head.

SiberianHockey

Feb 5, 2011
Moscow
Always like seeing bad things happen to Pique but hate that Russia gets a fluke penalty they absolutely don’t deserve.

Spain only have themselves to blame as this game should have already been 4 or 5 nothing by now.
What? 4-5? There were 2 scoring chances from Spain at best. Basically the same number from Russia.

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
Why didn’t it deserve? Spain had 0 shots until Russia tied it up

Russia didn’t get the penalty because they were putting Spain under pressure and Pique had to drag someone down to prevent a goal. It was a lucky/dumb play that Piques arm was up there. If his arm is down the ball goes harmlessly away.

Russia did nothing to create a chance or the goal.

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
What? 4-5? There were 2 scoring chances from Spain at best. Basically the same number from Russia.

4-5 because if the actually went forward they are that much better than Russia.

Instead they are more sastified passing it around 1000 times.

Asiantuntija

C.Ronaldo > L.Messi
Nov 4, 2016
Russia didn’t get the penalty because they were putting Spain under pressure and Pique had to drag someone down to prevent a goal. It was a lucky/dumb play that Piques arm was up there. If his arm is down the ball goes harmlessly away.

Spain goal was even more lucky.

Reactions: NyQuil

ViD

#CBJNeedHugs
Sponsor
Apr 21, 2007
Blue Jackets Area

Russia had an attack that led to the corner kick. So yeah they did something.

Golovin could’ve scored minutes before that.

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
I must have missed it when Spain crossed the ball into their own box.

Trying to win a match 1-0 is terrible strategy.

If crossing a ball into the box is all it takes to be considered a chance then there are awhile lot more chances then people give soccer credit for. Again if Pique keeps his arm down like happens 99% of the time Russia isn’t close to scoring. Relying on the opposition making a moronic play isn’t creating a chance in my view.

As for the second point I agree 100%. Especially against a much weaker opponent.

senators101

Jan 17, 2008
T.O.
How is it different...Are you actually asking that? The Argentina player played the ball himself, it wasn't a scoring chance from the opposition. The Argentina player headed the ball accidentally into his arm which wasn't over his head.

"However, if a player’s arm is in an unnatural position, for example outstretched or above their head, then a foul should be awarded whether accidental or not."

Above head or outstretched hand are both penalized the same way.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->