World Cup: R16: Spain vs. Russia, 7/1/2018

Who advances?

• Total voters

Nalens Oga

Jan 5, 2010
Canada
This is the morning game? I'm sleeping in.

edit: Actually nvm, I might enjoy watching the faster Russian players go up against Ramos and Pique.

sr edler

gold is not reality
Mar 20, 2010
Arshavin/Pavlyuchenko was an exciting two-punch a few moons ago. Russian team doesn't have that kind of edge now. That big tower they have on top now makes me want to sleep through the summer.

Firsov99

Feb 17, 2006
Cheryshev on the bench, Samedov starting though... :eek:
They play different positions though. Samedov - on the right, Cheryshev - on the left. Since Russia is playing with three center backs, they had to remove one attacking player.

Theokritos

Global Moderator
Apr 6, 2010
Plus statistically, Luzhniki had been kind to the national team.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the last results there against international opponents of (roughly) Spain's calibre were 0-1 vs Argentina and 0-3 vs Brazil. Right?

For all the "it's still Spain" talk...this is a team that historically goes out early at the World Cup.

Yeah, but usually they go out against good teams. Russia isn't really one today.

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
I feel like the atmosphere in the stadiums at the Russia games is slightly disappointing. Given Russians's generally quite patriotic disposition, the fact they never before got to host a tournament and Russian fans' showing at previous tournaments, I expected passionate cauldrons of support..instead that seems to be reserved for when Latin American teams play.

I have a hunch that a lot of these World Cup tickets have gone to a lot of wealthy types who don't normally go to football games. We saw the same at Euro 2012 where the Polish crowd was also a lot worse than Polish crowds normally are.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad