World Cup: R16: Spain vs. Russia, 7/1/2018

Who advances?

• Total voters

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
My problem is I see so little offense coming from the swedes, maybe I'm the one underrating Sweden. It would also be disappointing for the mexicans after the miracle they pulled.

As for Brazil allowing the equalizer, they need to look at how close Iran came to oust Portugal. Very risky, one PK and you're done.

Oh I don't disagree with you there lol. There's a reason I keep mentioning the swedes height, Forsberg's delivers, & set pieces when suggesting that this game could be wild if they open the scoring. But I can see their defense being frustrating for the mexicans which could get the swedes some cheap corners and/or dumb free kicks in dangerous areas to test their aerial advantage. I'll be rooting for the mexicans because I hate that antiquated style of play & Osorio has been tactically fascinating, but this match could be a real problem for them.

I'm not saying brazil would intentionally allow an equalizer or anything like that, just that I can see them being very conservative with a 1-0 lead if winning the group meant playing Germany instead of Mexico/Sweden. Even if they did screw up & concede a late equalizer in that situation, they would still progress over Serbia with a draw; so they'd have more than just 1 goal of wiggle room at 1-0. The whole time they would be hoping to win 1-0 while the Swiss win by 2+ goals to pass them for first in the group.

brian70

Jul 8, 2012
Oh I don't disagree with you there lol. There's a reason I keep mentioning the swedes height, Forsberg's delivers, & set pieces when suggesting that this game could be wild if they open the scoring. But I can see their defense being frustrating for the mexicans which could get the swedes some cheap corners and/or dumb free kicks in dangerous areas to test their aerial advantage. I'll be rooting for the mexicans because I hate that antiquated style of play & Osorio has been tactically fascinating, but this match could be a real problem for them.

I'm not saying brazil would intentionally allow an equalizer or anything like that, just that I can see them being very conservative with a 1-0 lead if winning the group meant playing Germany instead of Mexico/Sweden. Even if they did screw up & concede a late equalizer in that situation, they would still progress over Serbia with a draw; so they'd have more than just 1 goal of wiggle room at 1-0. The whole time they would be hoping to win 1-0 while the Swiss win by 2+ goals to pass them for first in the group.
You got me more interested in SRB-BRA... not that I wouldn't have watched it, lol. I'm curious to see how that will play out but I'll keep my money on Brazil/Mexico on top. We'll talk again tomorrow but for the day, I am more intrigued with Argentina's future. After Germany and Portugal, they get the chance to avoid a disaster and take on France. I'm all for shocking results and hope for the best for the smaller nations but I would love to see France-Argentina.

Reactions: cgf

TheDanceOfMaternity

Jul 13, 2006
San Francisco, CA
I'm going to be at this game (I live in Estonia, so not far away).

Perhaps in the same building as Putin? If so, I hope to get a selfie and casually stash it deep in an otherwise bland photo album of my travels in Russia.

Reactions: maclean

Tuggy

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2003
Saint John
Spain has been less than convincing so far but they *should* win.

But a Russia win wouldn't be that surprising.

KrejciMVP

Jun 30, 2011
Tampa, Florida
pretty cool the Russians have an opportunity to play one of the best teams in the last 10 years. I thought the Russians first 2 games played a style very similar to Spain. Spain probably has a 65% to 70% chance to win but Russia is at home and will be very motivated to move on. Can't wait

Hadoop

Aug 13, 2002
Mississauga
I would not read too much into Russia's first two wins. Egypt and Saudi Arabia are two of the worst teams coming into the tournament and while this sounds controversial I doubt daytime fasting for a month in the lead-up to the WC did anything to help their energy levels either (so literally the draw could not have been any better for Russia).

Given the above and Russia showing their 'true colours' so to speak against Uruguay I expect Spain to win this one without much trouble.

ViD

#CBJNeedHugs
Sponsor
Apr 21, 2007
Blue Jackets Area
I would not read too much into Russia's first two wins. Egypt and Saudi Arabia are two of the worst teams coming into the tournament and while this sounds controversial I doubt daytime fasting for a month in the lead-up to the WC did anything to help their energy levels either (so literally the draw could not have been any better for Russia).

Given the above and Russia showing their 'true colours' so to speak against Uruguay I expect Spain to win this one without much trouble.
Yeah like Spain looked so dominant against Iran and Morocco

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Espana has had some real trouble thus far in this World Cup. It isn't as bad as last WC's showing, but they don't look as good as their WC win years back. They should win this, but this is the game that we know so far that I wouldn't be surprised if Russia won (they actually look organized).

Corto

Faceless Man
Sep 28, 2005
Braavos
I think this could be a rout. Spain is still Spain, full of quality players with experience...
Russia is still Russia, a host nation full of mediocre players who beat S. Arabia and Egypt.

Reactions: Live in the Now

Kap-the-Head

Jan 7, 2006
Saint Charles, IL
I think this match is a lot closer than some people are willing to admit. A lot of microfactors may play into this one... Playing at Luzhniki at 65 degree weather on a possibly wet surface benefits Russia more so than Sochi (where Uruguay will play). Plus statistically, Luzhniki had been kind to the national team. In addition, one of the best matches in the last 12 months were played against Spain, posted by Vid. So while, Spain are favorites in the majority eyes, I am going to go on a limb and say Russia will pull this one through. This WC has seen some major upsets, and I believe Russia with certain luck can win this one as well. Russia's win 2-1.

Reactions: KrejciMVP

Panteras

“I’ll remember this hell of a journey”- Barkov
Sep 14, 2009
Panther’s favorite strip club
I don't disagree with that assessment based on this WC and Spain's performance so far.
Nevertheless, it's still Spain. The moments of magic odds should favor Spain.

If Spain don't win this I will be extremely disappointed.

Moncherry

Feb 5, 2010
Spain can still go far in this World Cup, but they're no where near as good as they should be. They would be a more dangerous contender if Lopetegui was still there.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
There's a big difference between struggling in a game against Portugal and against Russia. Let's put it that way. They'll win 3-1.

IamNotADancer

Feb 16, 2017
It really all depends on how Russia plays.

Spain almost always plays a lot better against power houses who go into the game with an open visor. Iran and Morocco gave them a run for their money because their attitude was "let's defend at all costs and then counter attack" with Iran not doing this as clever as Morocco did.
I honestly think people are reading too much into those games and I wouldn't count out Spain showing some dominating effort.
I'm sure most have played soccer here and know exactly how difficult it can be to play an inferior team that throws all 11 into their own half and make it look like a handball match.

I see Russia as a tier (or two) above Morocco/Iran, so by my theory this should help the Spaniards.

HOWEVER, I would not be surprised if the Russians, carried by the home crowd and mixing up their playing style from the first two games with the Iranian playbook, beat Spain and ring in a major overhaul at Team Spain.

Iniesta has shown flashes of his brilliance but boy has he looked old, sluggish and just not very focused at times. There were a couple of times when I couldn't stop thinking that perhaps he shouldn't have went to this tournament. But then out of nowhere he shows up (Isco goal) and proves me wrong.

I hope he will continue proving me wrong, but I prefer he stops the many mistakes in the process.

I think it's going to be a close game and "should win" just doesn't work for me. I hope that attitude is not the team's attitude. We saw how that worked against Morocco and how that worked for Germany against SK.

maclean

Jan 4, 2014
Russia has no pressure to win, so that should get them more relaxed

That relaxed, no-pressure thing didn't exactly work out for them last game. Might be better to ramp up the mental pressure a bit

Firsov99

Feb 17, 2006
I just hope that the game is not over in the first half. Only a miracle could help Russia in this one.

Kyle McMahon

May 10, 2006
For all the "it's still Spain" talk...this is a team that historically goes out early at the World Cup. I definitely wouldn't take this one for granted. I do expect them to hold their nerve if it's tied after 75 minutes or something like that, but look out if Russia gets an early lead.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad