World Cup: R16: Spain vs. Russia, 7/1/2018

Who advances?

• Total voters

John Pedro

Feb 6, 2014
São Paulo
Russia really didn't have any quick transition attacks at all today and didn't have to defend all that well either since Spain barely tried to attack.

Russia didn't, but Portugal, Iran, Marrocos all had tons of chances off quick counters against Spain. Germany defense was a mess against it as well. Germany was a bit better offensively (created a lot, but had an unlucky tourney in terms of finishing, though). Keeping the ball without creating any scoring chance is viewed as great football nowadays. Gotta have some balance, control the ball but also create scoring chances and not bleed on counters.

Tryamw

Loyal Fan of Jerks
Sponsor
Nov 2, 2016
Durham
Hard to say Spain deserved to win that, but if they didn't then Russia really didn't. Should've made them keep playing as punishment
No that would mean I'd still be watching and that is far greater punishment for the non involved.

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
Pretty expensive hockey team at the game

hockey.jpg

maclean

Jan 4, 2014
No that would mean I'd still be watching and that is far greater punishment for the non involved.

I would still be asleep, it was the announcer's shout that the Russian goalie stopped the penalty shot that woke me up :mad:

Reactions: Tryamw

illpucks

May 26, 2011
Anyone can answer why they subbed off their best player of the tournament Diego Costa before ET?

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
How did the ref bail out Russia? Keep your arm down in the box. Spain sucked. It's that simple

I was talking about the stone cold penalty they denied in ET.

That Russian dragged down Pique plus the other defender was fouling Ramos I think it was.

Went to VAR and they still missed the clear call.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
No, they didn't, they saw that Ramos was the one fouling his defenseman and thus canceled Pique being fouled.

illpucks

May 26, 2011
I was talking about the stone cold penalty they denied in ET.

That Russian dragged down Pique plus the other defender was fouling Ramos I think it was.

Went to VAR and they still missed the clear call.
They said because Ramos also had his hand on the defender so they ruled it a 50/50 play

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
They said because Ramos also had his hand on the defender so they ruled it a 50/50 play

Them making crap up to justify their horrible call doesn’t change much.

I mean I understand why they did it, making the right call there likely puts their lives in danger.

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
Bracket is officially a bust... but hey I like all underdog stories and the openness of the tournament, so whatever!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad