World Cup: R16: Spain vs. Russia, 7/1/2018

Who advances?

• Total voters

IamNotADancer

Feb 16, 2017
Man, I love watching this cup and the giant slaying but I hate that bus parking and flat out passive football is being rewarded. Definitely skipping the next Russian match

Theokritos

Global Moderator
Apr 6, 2010
Spain looked like that for the last 10 years. Just that they managed to score more, perhaps every 500 passes.

I know what you mean, but it's obvious that something is wrong with them in this tournament that wasn't obvious before.

illpucks

May 26, 2011
LOL soccer. Native Brit here, can't stand this joke of a sport. You can park the bus for 120 minutes, have absolutely no possession of the ball and win in this ugly fashion.

It will never fail to keep boggling my mind how such a boring sport where nothing happens for such a high % of the time is so popular. Not to mention the beyond pathetic diving.
Spain derserve to lose. 1000+ passes and no kill button. Boring soccer to keep doing 10000000 passes and no finish

WinterHawk88

May 15, 2017
LOL soccer. Native Brit here, can't stand this joke of a sport. You can park the bus for 120 minutes, have absolutely no possession of the ball and win in this ugly fashion.

It will never fail to keep boggling my mind how such a boring sport where nothing happens for such a high % of the time is so popular. Not to mention the beyond pathetic diving.

The problem isnt the sport, the problem is the coaches of teams like Spain, Germany and Argentina have gotten so in their own heads that possession wins games that they refuse to adapt for the players that they have.

It's great to play tiki taka when you have midfielders like prime Iniesta and Schweinsteiger, but once those players leave or lose a step the coaches need to adapt, which they haven't. I think this world cup is a bit of a transition to a new style of play, less possession focused.

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
Not sure how Spain is more interesting to watch than Russia. Spain are very good at killing CAs (credit to them). And of course they are the best at keeping possession (credit to them). Combine that with no will to penetrate and they will tend to make most games boring (not all of course).

John Pedro

Feb 6, 2014
São Paulo
Some of you guys overrate the shit out of teams that can pass the ball and keep useless possession for an absurd amount of time. First Germany and now Spain, this WC is proving to be about quick transition attack and well-trained defenses.

I'd love to see a nation that has never won a WC win if Brazil is out. Colombia or Croatia in the final would be nice too.

Moncherry

Feb 5, 2010

Not at all. They were far more fluid and direct under Lopetegui, under Hierro they reverted to a worse version of their former selves. Lopetegui also utilized the talent at their disposal to a much greater extent, injected new blood into the line-up. I can't imagine Saul Niguez not playing at all if he was still coach or Thiago playing as sparingly as he did.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
Some of you guys overrate the **** out of teams that can pass the ball and keep useless possession for an absurd amount of time. First Germany and now Spain, this WC is proving to be about quick transition attack and well-trained defenses.
Russia really didn't have any quick transition attacks at all today and didn't have to defend all that well either since Spain barely tried to attack.

maclean

Jan 4, 2014
Hard to say Spain deserved to win that, but if they didn't then Russia really didn't. Should've made them keep playing as punishment

Theokritos

Global Moderator
Apr 6, 2010
Not at all. They were far more fluid and direct under Lopetegui, under Hierro they reverted to a worse version of their former selves. Lopetegui also utilized the talent at their disposal to a much greater extent, injected new blood into the line-up. I can't imagine Saul Niguez not playing at all if he was still coach or Thiago playing as sparingly as he did.

Right. So basically the Spanish FA destroyed their own WC campaign.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad