World Cup: R16: Spain vs. Russia, 7/1/2018

Who advances?

• Total voters

TheDanceOfMaternity

Jul 13, 2006
San Francisco, CA
I just got back from the game and while everything people are writing I think is true, this was the best spectacle in sports I will have ever witnessed probably. 70,000 Russians chanting. I felt like they were just happy to be there at first and when they won that was the loudest crowd ever lol. This would be like if the US had beaten Brazil in 1994, so man was that crowd pumped.
Also, I predicted this :)

Icarium

Feb 16, 2010
LOL soccer. Native Brit here, can't stand this joke of a sport. You can park the bus for 120 minutes, have absolutely no possession of the ball and win in this ugly fashion.

You can do the same in hockey, if you have a hot goalie you don't even need a decent defence, so I guess you hate hockey too?

Now, this particular game was unbelievably boring, don't get me wrong but winning while playing ugly is possible in most sports. Especially hockey.

Vasilevskiy

The cat will be back
Dec 30, 2008
Barcelona
This game was bullshit. Russia is not getting past next round, but again, same fate had we advanced awaited us.
Shit effort by us

Vasilevskiy

The cat will be back
Dec 30, 2008
Barcelona
There is no excuse to be made. Russia decided to play the wall game and we had enough time to break through. But we didn't, and that's on us, I suppose they thought that moving the ball around middle of the field would hypnotize the russians. Probably the most boring game I've seen in 2018

Ceremony

blahem
Jun 8, 2012
Do people think that was a penalty? Ramos did the same thing as earlier in the game where he backed into someone, fell to the ground, and tried to claim a foul. It wasn't.

The Pique incident half a second before, that's the one where the Kremlin had a direct line to the VAR room.

Suiteness

Mar 14, 2003
Time to Rebuild
Visit site
Quite frankly, Spain, as a footballing nation, don't have winning pedigree. They had a golden generation that delivered the goods but now that that goose is cooked, they've reverted back to that talented underachieving/choking side.

Reactions: N o o d l e s

Bon Esprit

Jan 24, 2004
Russia’s lineup and game plan was specific for Spain. At one point they had 4 center backs on the field.

I don’t think they will do this in the next round, even if they play Croatia.
Your coach is a genius. I said it before and I say it again.

Kap-the-Head

Jan 7, 2006
Saint Charles, IL
Russia’s lineup and game plan was specific for Spain. At one point they had 4 center backs on the field.

I don’t think they will do this in the next round, even if they play Croatia.
Exactly... It is not like Russia plays the bus every game. But this time that was the only way to have a chance... I feel kinda sorry for neutral fans, but for me, seeing my team underperform since 1990, the result what matters. Pretty sure if we play Denmark the game will be a lot more exciting...

maclean

Jan 4, 2014
Exactly... It is not like Russia plays the bus every game. But this time that was the only way to have a chance... I feel kinda sorry for neutral fans, but for me, seeing my team underperform since 1990, the result what matters. Pretty sure if we play Denmark the game will be a lot more exciting...

Are you watching how Denmark plays? I wouldn't count on it

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
TF is wrong with you people? First you lump Iniesta in with Ramos and now Gerry??? Anyway, happy the lads will be back in training much sooner now. Much more important competitions they need to worry about.

Can't wait for Russia to get bounced for all the fans in this thead.

MaxV

Nov 6, 2006
New York, NY
There is one more thing I want to mention and I think it has been very important factor in Russia’s success, this team is very versatile.

Nearly every Russian midfielder is equally adept at playing just about anywhere on the midfield. This gives Cherchesov a lot of flexibility with his lineups.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad