Euro: R16: Netherlands v Czech Republic, 6/27/2021

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
I knew you were going to comment on that, but Liverpool sentimentality aside, Wijnaldum turned into a good player, but not a great player. A utility guy on Liverpool isn't going to be an all-timer unless we also count Dirk Kuyt as a Holland great. You go from Robben and Van Persie to Depay and Wijnaldum it's a pretty significant downgrade no matter which way you slice it.

It is a downgrade, but Wijnaldum was a lot better than Kuyt. Still I'm not sure it's fair to blame the good players they have. Players like van Aaanholt, Blind, Stekelenburg, and de Roon have no business playing for a country like that and it reflects that something bad happened to their academy system to cause this.

koyvoo

Nov 8, 2014
Bye De Boer.. you useless f***.
Not sure what you’ll find elsewhere. Look at what fans of trans that have been eliminated have all said. Everyone has lost because of there managers. Not one team has lost simply for not having enough quality, or for players underperforming.

No one has anything but garbage management, and there’s 20 teams that could’ve made a serious run, if not win the whole thing, with even a halfway decent manager.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Not sure what you’ll find elsewhere. Look at what fans of trans that have been eliminated have all said. Everyone has lost because of there managers. Not one team has lost simply for not having enough quality, or for players underperforming.

No one has anything but garbage management, and there’s 20 teams that could’ve made a serious run, if not win the whole thing, with even a halfway decent manager.

This guy is legitimately bad and is widely considered as terrible and one of the worst coaches in the game.

Look at his career after leaving the Netherlands, just horrendous results and early firings

koyvoo

Nov 8, 2014
This guy is legitimately bad and is widely considered as terrible and one of the worst coaches in the game.

Look at his career after leaving the Netherlands, just horrendous results and early firings
I’m not saying he’s not. However, I’m currently literally having the same discussion with more than one fanbase, literally at this moment. All I’m saying is that it’s an easy blame, much easier than blaming the players or simply saying we’re not good enough.

Reactions: WeThreeKings

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
I’m not saying he’s not. However, I’m currently literally having the same discussion with more than one fanbase, literally at this moment. All I’m saying is that it’s an easy blame, much easier than blaming the players or simply saying we’re not good enough.

There's many other issues with Holland but the manager was just a poor choice from the beginning.

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
clearly inferior nation is actually able to get to the QF
Czechs have won the last 3 matches in a row at the Euro's against Holland.

They also beat them home and away to eliminate them from qualifying for the Euros in 2016.

Maybe hold off on 'clearly inferior'. I do agree the Dutch have a great program but it is possible to boast about them without insulting the Czechs.

Also, Czechs have a nice history of Quarters, Semis, Finals and victories at the Euro's.

We won it in 1976
We were third in 1980
We were second in 1996
We were third in 2004
Quarters in 2012

By my count that is a Championship, a final appearance, 2 thirds and a Quarter appearance.

That isn't bad. Holland hasn't made Quarters since 2008 btw and didn't qualify for the last Euro's (with a big help from the Czech losses).

I do agree the Dutch program is better.. just not a fan of 'clearly inferior' since we have the winning record and success at the Euro's.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
But you’re taking it on the extreme just on the other side of spectrum. If these coaches are interchangeable and it’s never their fault it’s always the players why are some of them making millions? Some coaches do just suck and this guy is one of them. Is it always the case no. Is it the easiest choice to make yes but sometimes the simplest move is the best move

Reactions: cgf

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad