Euro: R16: Netherlands v Czech Republic, 6/27/2021

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Who singled him out?
I said the top 4 dutch players were either bad or transparant. De Ligt, De Jong, Wijnaldum and Depay.
There's absolutely nothing arguable about that statement IMO yet obviously, D2M took offense because you can't criticize FDJ.
He was never "singled out".
I agree with this. Memphis had a few nice chances created but was largely ineffective. Wijnaldum didn't really get going but I think that was also largely to nothing really being created near the box where he's most effective in his late runs and interplay. de Jong was average, he holds onto the ball too much still. de Ligt was...I don't even know what you would call that. The panel was right in saying that the big names needed to step up and they didn't, but we knew this was an average team.

I also think Dumfries was the Netherlands best player over the course of the tournament. Very underrated player and have said this for a while.

Reactions: luiginb

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
De Jong wasn’t bad? Depay was the worst other than the moment of madness from de ligt. Coach deserves just as much blame for this loss tbh
Your obsession on both ends of the spectrum toward Memphis and de Jong is certainly interesting.

JaymzB

Apr 8, 2003
Toronto
For the Dutch, some thoughts on some of the players:

-Depay was terrible. Poor delivery on set pieces, and was not involved much at all.
-De Jong had a quiet game. He did make a couple of good defensive plays in the first half, but just wasn't involved in the build up. To me it really seemed like the Czech's made a point to mark him out of any build up movements.
-De Ligt I thought was playing well, until the big mistake, but it was a terrible mistake.
-Gini was invisible for the most part.
-Malen I actually thought brought good movement, but his final touches were terrible. Not only the breakaway chance, but also the missed ball to Dumfries at the start of the game.

I don't understand how Steklenberg is the 2nd choice Goalkeeper. That is just remarkable for all the wrong reasons.

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
I didn’t see the match so I won’t really comment, but listening to the match while traveling today they said that De Jong was the most successful dribbler or something of that nature going into the match. Of course shame on him and co for not leading 10 men to the next round.

luiginb

Aug 23, 2007
Barcelona
de Jong was the best Dutch player in the first half and was struggling in a diminished midfield in the second half. He was probably on balance the best Dutch player on the night, seems weird to single him out.

Dumfries

Depay hasn't put in single decent cross all game.

Barcelona wants to keep its quota full of overrated Dutchies with horrible body language when things are going badly

De ligt massive big time player

This aged well...

de Boer lost this game by starting Malen instead of Weghorst.

Old Man Jags

Mar 25, 2006
I don't think this Czech team can really be compared to either the mid 90s edition or the mid 00s edition in terms of quality. Dutch should handle them.

We usually beat the Dutch even when our team is not so good, including twice in the Euro qualifiers for Euro2016. We beat them again this time. The statistic since the independence of the Czech Republic in 1993 is 6 wins, 3 defeats, 3 draws. We never fear the Dutch. They tend to be individually better as players, but don't play as a team, don't play well tactically, are arrogant and tend to underestimate us. And we are more physical. And look at that, we beat them yet again. And they had zero shots on goal all game, even in the 55 minutes before the sending-off, as we shut their main threats down. Easy peasy. I expected we would lose against England or even Croatia, I was confident against Holland, and there we go. Yet again. Really amazes me that people are still surprised.

Reactions: czechcanadian

Old Man Jags

Mar 25, 2006
Well tsn/Canada arent know for their footy. It’s a clear red.

You would have to be a fool who does not understand the rules not to think it was a red. All pundits I saw said clear red, even the Dutch team itself (!) said so, and the player himself apologised and never said that he should not have been sent off. Anyone who genuinely thinks it was not a red card should not work on TV commenting on this sport.

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
Depay was the worst player on the pitch yesterday, and i really don't know why he's so regarded.

The fact that neither Depay nor Wijnaldum ever developed into the great players they were hyped to become is one of the reasons this generation of Holland's achievement level is so poor. 2016 Euro & 2018 WC did not qualify, 2020 Euro exit rd of 16. I don't think any other of the big nations has had such a bad run recently. Early 90s France - DNQ WC 90, Group exit Euro 92, DNQ WC 94 - maybe the most recent other example. But of course their success just a few years later hows how quickly things can change.

Reactions: Incubajerks

Harry Kakalovich

Sep 26, 2002
Montreal
It was a very entertaining game until the de Ligt red card (which was absolutely the right call IMO). It's too bad de Ligt doesn't let that go because even had Czechs scored on that breakdown, the game would have been better 1-0 Czech & 11v11.

Prior to the red both teams had decent chances. Just a silly play by de Ligt, but he had played well up to that point.

Reactions: cgf

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Fantastic game yesterday, neither team committed for a full defensive effort and it showed with brilliant back and forth action. I would be worried as a Dutch fan though because even if I thought majority of the game was quite even, there were moments in that first half that the Czechs played you off the pitch.

Absolutely fantastic display by the Czechs, it's unbelievable what unity and chemistry does when a clearly inferior nation is actually able to get to the QF over nations like Polska. That should be a really good learning lesson for the Polish Football Federation for the future...

Dumfries easily the best player on the Orange. I also liked De Ligt until... That moment.

Wijnaldum was invisible. De Jong pedestriam
The problem with de Boer is that he was playing Wijnaldum almost as a #10 and he never really had a creative side so the entire gameplan for the Dutch was off the flanks. They had nobody who could create something in the middle park, which was easier for the Czechs to shutdown.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
The fact that neither Depay nor Wijnaldum ever developed into the great players they were hyped to become is one of the reasons this generation of Holland's achievement level is so poor. 2016 Euro & 2018 WC did not qualify, 2020 Euro exit rd of 16. I don't think any other of the big nations has had such a bad run recently. Early 90s France - DNQ WC 90, Group exit Euro 92, DNQ WC 94 - maybe the most recent other example. But of course their success just a few years later hows how quickly things can change.

Wijnaldum did, but like I said after the Ukraine match. There was only so long this was going to last. Four good players can't carry trash. Almost the whole rest of the team would never even be good enough to be squad players for the Netherlands. They'd either barely be in the squad or not at all.

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
Wijnaldum did, but like I said after the Ukraine match. There was only so long this was going to last. Four good players can't carry trash. Almost the whole rest of the team would never even be good enough to be squad players for the Netherlands. They'd either barely be in the squad or not at all.

I knew you were going to comment on that, but Liverpool sentimentality aside, Wijnaldum turned into a good player, but not a great player. A utility guy on Liverpool isn't going to be an all-timer unless we also count Dirk Kuyt as a Holland great. You go from Robben and Van Persie to Depay and Wijnaldum it's a pretty significant downgrade no matter which way you slice it.

Reactions: Caramel

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad