Euro: R16: Italy vs. Spain, 6/27/2016

TP

Global Moderator
Dec 2, 2008
بالوتيلي.jpg

LOL!

If we had Super Mario, we would have won by 6!

Boston Bruno

Mostly not serious input..
Nov 2, 2002
Calgary
Euro Cup champs done, World Cup champs next on the block. After that, only the home team French.

Piece of cake. :sarcasm:

I swear if Italy emerges from this gauntlet of death and into the finals, there's no stopping them.

Italy v Germany

France vs England pretty classic stuff

And no I'm not writing Iceland if just postulating

Theokritos

Global Moderator
Apr 6, 2010
Expected Spain to bounce back after the World Cup. I was wrong. Time for a new head coach.

Luigi Habs

Captain Saku
Jul 30, 2005
Montreal
Is this the end for Del Bosque? Kind of unfair from my uneducated casual fan POV, but soccer isn't a very forgiving sport

Not only he deserves to be fired but he shall never coach again.

His attacking selections were awful. Also was never able to motivate his players. There is no reason for a talented squad like this to have such a poor showing.

Physically his players were not ready. They were outrun and outmuscled by Italy. Granted, most of his players come from the 2 Madrid teams + Barcelona. Most have played a big amount of games throughout the season.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Euro Cup champs done, World Cup champs next on the block. After that, only the home team French.

Piece of cake. :sarcasm:

I swear if Italy emerges from this gauntlet of death and into the finals, there's no stopping them.

It would be kind of amusing if they beat Spain, Germany then France but lost to someone like Wales in the final.

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
Erh, there's quite a big chance France isn't there in the semis.

They've looked better than both England and Iceland so far, I'd say. Not a stretch to suggest they'd come out on top against either side, later this week.

But I'm sure stranger things have happened. Can't say I'd be upset if Italy manages to take out the Germans, and are met by....Iceland in the semifinals. :laugh:

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
They've looked better than both England and Iceland so far, I'd say. Not a stretch to suggest they'd come out on top against either side, later this week.

But I'm sure stranger things have happened. Can't say I'd be upset if Italy manages to take out the Germans, and are met by....Iceland in the semifinals. :laugh:

... Right for a Wales/Iceland final.

THAT would be glorious.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
France has a ****** defense right now. Evra and Sagna will start next game and until we're out.
At least no Rami (Umiti should take his spot), but still... DD still doesn't know which system to play and we're in the quarters !

Deficient Mode

Mar 25, 2011
This match is probably more about del Bosque never learning from his mistakes than Conte bringing out an original strategy. Spain have come up against a 3-5-2 several times in the past (vs. Netherlands and vs. Italy) and still have no idea how to overcome it.

Outside Aurier.

IMO Carvajal in Real's first CL-winning year was clearly better than anything I've seen from Aurier.

SeawaterOnIce

Bald is back in style.
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2011
This one was a shocker, Spain looked so lethargic from the get-go, picked up some momentum but ultimately couldn't convert on any of their chances. Pique's coverage today was brutal, he couldn't handle the Italian forwards.

What a brilliant defensive performance by Italy. I fancy the summers I spent at an Italian soccer academy...we were always taught that "offensive can win games, but defense wins championships." It's the mantra there and written in many community stadiums.

Last edited:

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
This match is probably more about del Bosque never learning from his mistakes than Conte bringing out an original strategy. Spain have come up against a 3-5-2 several times in the past (vs. Netherlands and vs. Italy) and still have no idea how to overcome it.

IMO Carvajal in Real's first CL-winning year was clearly better than anything I've seen from Aurier.

Aurier from mid last season to this season's incident was the most impressive I've seen in a RB since... well I can't tell...

BSHH

HSVer & Rotflügel
Apr 12, 2009
Hamburg
Well deserved win for Italy, but Spain had to be thrown out of this tournament for these ugly jerseys anyway. The referee was not good at all, but at least he eventually booked Busquets, who argued with him in each and every situation.

Gruß,
BSHH

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad