Euro: R16: Italy vs. Spain, 6/27/2016

helicecopter

Mar 8, 2003
give me higher shots
Visit site
Up until that point, not really.
meant from that point onward.

Nice to see you back BTW. How come you don't post anymore?
cause I don't watch much soccer anymore..

it's kind of surreal for me watching a few of these Euro games and hearing for the first time so many new names lol (Portugal the other day vs Croatia was a stunning example)

SenorDingDong

Apr 1, 2006
Toronto
Yeah, feels that way to me, as well.

History stops me from believing in an easy game or a sure thing, but I'm definitely optimistic this spell will come to on end on Saturday.

Italy also rarely comes out and plays two massive games back to back.

In a lot of ways I feel like today's "Italy vs Spain" was kind of Italy's final. Spain has been their curse the past 8 years and they finally overcame it.

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
Italy is the only team in the tournament to have beaten two good sides in Belgium and Spain. Games aren't played on paper and I see no reason to believe Germany have an easier opponent this year than they had 4 years ago or 10 years ago. But beating them won't come down to how good Italy are but what Germany's level of play is and whether they have gained an understanding of how Italians play football and know how to counter it.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
lol how so?

Can't say they've inspired me confidence.

But DD is called "lucky DD" in football circles. He's a guy that has always had luck with him throughout his career as a player and coach. And so far, the draw has been extremely kind. They won't face a top team before the semis. Even there, they might frace Italy, who is a long time good fit for us.

Then again, we could be out next match, as I said.

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
Deserved win for Italy in what was somewhat a tale of two halves. They had a very good first half. The big difference for me was the work rate that half as Italy just worked harder. Tactically they did a great job of making Spain struggle to get the ball out of their own half. Rather than press the Spanish CBs they let them have the ball and cut out the Spanish midfielders and backs leaving few options bar hoofing it forward. Of course Spanish players played into all of that by not moving to the ball when they needed to and also not making any runs.

Once again del Bosque sticks to "the plan" which clearly wasn't working before the match. Again the right side of Spain was lacking as Silva continually played anywhere but out on the right and Juanfran can't do the job alone much less with a wide player. If you really need to play Silva so bad and he's not going to provide any width then just replace Fabregas with him. Then later on when del Bosque brought on Vazquez and Pedro you actually had players getting forward. Anyway, just shocked that he didn't sub on Bruno.

It'll be interesting to see what Conte does with Chelsea. He seems to have some players who won't fit in so well tactically if he employs this formation.

Pelle winning the majority of the balls in the air is huge, he killed all momentum in the Sweden game everytime he touched it.

It was and it was not even in the box. He held up play really well on a couple of plays too.

Deserved lead for Italy. Spain look really clueless this half. Italy far better in pressing. Spain again really suboptimal at defending on the wings. Pelle's man orientation on Busquets has been very successful in dampening Spain's buildup; Spain must adapt. Nice performance from de Gea though.

Glad to see someone else noticed this. Other players need to drop back and help out by nobody was.

Can someone please explain to me why teams want to pay so much for Morata? I never see anything too positive watching him play and he just came off a season where he scored 12 goals in 47 games. After scoring 15 goals in 46 games last year.

Seems like a really average striker. And even calling him average seems a little generous.

I certainly can't. Someone will probably pay over the odds for him and Madrid will put that towards somebody like Pogba.

Excellent reffing so far BTW.

I know you somewhat recanted on this, but the ref was awful. He was particularly awful in the second half. He didn't favor either team as his decisions affected both equally. I think he let too much go and we were lucky not to see an injury. Well we actually did though I'm not sure it's down to the play the ref missed. Anyway, just awful work from the ref.

I wasn't implying that, and I didn't see the game yesterday. That said for the last decade Spain in particular (and it has bled into La Liga) has been very, very quick to go to ground and embellish. Not that there aren't offenders in all leagues, but they've been particularly bad in recent memory. Worse than I think the Italians ever were.

Hilarious commentary in general but especially during this match.

Biscuits, Iniesta and Alba surrounding the ref

Must be a coincidence

Or must be that Vazquez got purposely hit in the face by Motta. Vazquez kicked out at Motta and missed during that exchange, but Motta clearly hit him in the face. Funny your boy Ramos was nowhere to be seen. Not as funny as you failing to mention him *****ing at the ref.

Be interesting to see how Guardiola does trying to win this tournament again next time.

:help:

He is. Juanfran can make beautiful crosses but Carvajal is a better offensive RB and the best of the post Alves/Lahm generation.

Dani Darvajal, starting RB in HF Boards' Overrated XI.

Pedro manages to be in the Spain defence for that second goal. Where on earth was Pique?

Up the pitch trying to score. Did you watch the match? You do understand that it was the 91st minute and Spain needed to score a goal to stay alive right? You did see Pique with one of the best efforts for Spain in this match right? You do know that he scored for Spain already in this tournament right? Do you know that he has nine goals as a CB in the last two seasons? While he had time to get back on that play it's obvious where on earth he was and had he gone back he'd then have to have had to march up the pitch again.

Is this the end for Del Bosque? Kind of unfair from my uneducated casual fan POV, but soccer isn't a very forgiving sport

He's not a very good manager and it should definitely be the end of him. The fact that he continued after the last WC was bad enough.

cause I don't watch much soccer anymore..

it's kind of surreal for me watching a few of these Euro games and hearing for the first time so many new names lol (Portugal the other day vs Croatia was a stunning example)

I get that. As with everything it can get boring at times. You should post more though if you do.

Ceremony

blahem
Jun 8, 2012
Up the pitch trying to score. Did you watch the match? You do understand that it was the 91st minute and Spain needed to score a goal to stay alive right? You did see Pique with one of the best efforts for Spain in this match right? You do know that he scored for Spain already in this tournament right? Do you know that he has nine goals as a CB in the last two seasons? While he had time to get back on that play it's obvious where on earth he was and had he gone back he'd then have to have had to march up the pitch again.

I presume that explains Ramos' impression of #2 on the first goal here in getting back too. It probably says a lot that when trying to desperately get a goal in the last minute that Spain are throwing their centre-halves up while a guy moaning about not getting played (and who was hailed as an all-conquering Premier League Player by Danny Murphy, that was funny) is stuck defending.

I should also add that given Pique's performance on the first goal and Spain bringing on a boy with two caps and no goals to chase the game at the end that maybe they should leave him up front. Makes nine goals in two years seem like a decent record.

Last edited:

Power Man

Grrrr
Sep 30, 2008
221B Baker Street
2-0. David Silva and Alvaro Morata.

I just cant see Italy scoring vs Spain, well at least until Spain has 3.

Hope spain can knock the italians out for us. I know spain's the stronger side, but with our record against italy and their style of play; I'd rather face the spaniards if we don't s*** ourselves against slovakia.

Hopefully Spain wins this.

I've despised Italy since 06.

Spain has more depth at midfield and upfront, but Italy has an amazing back 3.

I can see Italy limiting Spain to 1 or 2 goals, but I also cannot see Italy scoring more than 2 with their lack of talent and Spains ability to control possession.

Should be Spain's night...

Now whether they can beat Germany is the question. The Germans have the skill and talent to torment Pique and Ramos.

Italy will put 22 players behind the ball and hope to take this thing to penalties. It will be brutal.

Have this game finish 0:0 in FT, with Spain probably winning in ET or penalty kicks, also think Italy won't finish the match with 10 either and will park the bus like the Czechs did

Spain 1-0

palpatine_mosoly.jpg

I could see Italy pulling off the upset here.

Italy's the team you love to hate while Spain is everybody's darlings. So it's obvious Italy will win this one

giphy.gif

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
I should also add that given Pique's performance on the first goal and Spain bringing on a boy with two caps and no goals to chase the game at the end that maybe they should leave him up front. Makes nine goals in two years seem like a decent record.

Really poor job of editing the first time round. I've helped you out though, albeit not enough as I've left something to quote.

Pique's performance on the first goal? You mean where Ramos gave up the free kick, on a poor challenge according to the commentary I had btw, which resulted in the goal? Or do you mean de Gea only being able to do so much despite having a clear line of sight to the shot? Or perhaps you're referring to Pique being the only Spanish player to react to the rebound while the rest of his teammates literally stand and watch? Nothing about Pique's performance on that goal suggests that he should have been up front.

What does Vazquez have to do with it? Oh yeah, nothing. For the record though he wasn't that bad and he provided the width that I've been saying has been lacking for how long now.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
I definitely thought guys like Busquets, Pique and Alba were the worst culprits against Italy. They really let the team down and I think are showing to be past it at this point. Without prime Xavi/Iniesta Spain is a bit lame. They can't defend that well, and they have no real penetration. Time for them to retool and bring in the new generation of players and move away from the style of play that originated from their strong Barca core who are no longer able to lead them to much success.

They have a lot of good young players coming up though, and were outcoached, so they'll bounce back fairly quickly.

Suiteness

Mar 14, 2003
Time to Rebuild
Visit site
I definitely thought guys like Busquets, Pique and Alba were the worst culprits against Italy.

In fairness, it was obvious that part of Italy's game plan was to cut off Busquets from the rest of the team and not allow him to distribute properly from the back, they ramped up the pressure on him whenever he was to be involved in the play.

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
I definitely thought guys like Busquets, Pique and Alba were the worst culprits against Italy. They really let the team down and I think are showing to be past it at this point. Without prime Xavi/Iniesta Spain is a bit lame. They can't defend that well, and they have no real penetration. Time for them to retool and bring in the new generation of players and move away from the style of play that originated from their strong Barca core who are no longer able to lead them to much success.

They have a lot of good young players coming up though, and were outcoached, so they'll bounce back fairly quickly.

:help:

Alba for sure, but Pique and Busquets? No, especially regarding Pique. Ramos for example was again, as has been the case all tournament, notably worse. In the past it was Ramos outperforming Pique for Spain, but that wasn't remotely the case in this tournament much less this match. Ramos made a poor foul which led to the free kick which led to the first goal. On Eder's breakaway (where Eder probably should have done better) it was Ramos that Eder blew past. Anyway, calling Pique and Busquets the worst culprits when you have the peformances of Nolito, Morata, Ramos, Juanfran and perhaps Cesc is just wrong. They didn't have great matches themselves, there were players who were notably worse.

Past it? Alba is still very clearly a top LB. Pique is one of the top 3 CBs in the game who not only has had back-to-back amazing seasons but who also had an excellent tournament. Busquets is the best DM in the game with but one peer at the moment and is one of the best midfielders in the World. None of them are remotely past it and preposterous to even suggest so.

Spain's lack of penetration has little to do with Iniesta and Xavi. They lack and/or fail to select the appropriate attacking players. Morata didn't do too much. Nolito while penetrating is only so good. Silva is barely penetrating player and even when he has a chance he looks to pass. Spain's biggest opportunity isn't in midfield or defense. They need better attacking players and striker in particular is a position they'll need to sort out.

In fairness, it was obvious that part of Italy's game plan was to cut off Busquets from the rest of the team and not allow him to distribute properly from the back, they ramped up the pressure on him whenever he was to be involved in the play.

Yes, and not just Busquets. Like I said, Italy were generally comfortable allowing Ramos and Pique to have the ball because they cut out all the passing lanes. All three midfielders along with the backs should have come back more to get the ball and del Bosque should have sorted this out immediately.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad