Euro: R16: France vs. Ireland, 6/26/2016

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA
I would probably sub off Koscielny. His discipline is still poor and they can't afford not to have him vs. England.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
Wait what? What is this rule?

Denying an obvious goalscoring opportunity (DOGSO) in the penalty area is no longer automatically a straight red card, unless: (1) the offense involves holding, pulling or pushing, (2) if there’s no attempt to play the ball or no possibility of making a challenge or (3) if the offense would be punishable by a red card, no matter where it happened on the field (i.e., violent conduct).

The rule for players who commit a foul to deny an obvious goalscoring opportunity outside the box has not changed. Those offenses will still earn an automatic red card.

http://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2016/06/03/new-ifab-rule-changes-implemented-copa-america-centenario

To me this reads like it wouldn't be a red card.

Sykie

Feb 28, 2002
Geneva
snhl.free.fr
Giroud got away with a foul leading to that.

Yep, two high impact referee mistakes in a row here, a clear irish corner which is given as a free kick to France who scores in the following minute, and a blatant fault of Giroux which leads to a French attack forcing an Irish to take a red card.

And here is how Ireland got all their chances ruined by referees. I guess they should be used to that now, but still that's disappointing for the game which is basically done now.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Yep, two major referee mistakes in a row here, an Irish corner which is given as a free kick to France who scores in the following minute, and a blatant fault of Giroux which leads to a French attack forcing an Irish to take a red card.

And here is how Ireland got all their chances ruined by referees. I guess they should be used to that, but still that's disappointing for the game which is basically done now.

Seriously? If you've watched the game I can't see how you can argue the ref has favoured France. If he has favoured a side, it's clearly Ireland.
They could be down to 8 men with all that time wasting too.

Disgusting post.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Strangely, Matuidi on the left has dynamited France's midfield...

Obvious is obvious DD.

Sykie

Feb 28, 2002
Geneva
snhl.free.fr
Seriously? If you've watched the game I can't see how you can argue the ref has favoured France. If he has favoured a side, it's clearly Ireland.
They could be down to 8 men with all that time wasting too.

Disgusting post.

Yes, seriously. A five years old child could see there was a corner here, and France scored on the following minute. Same for the Giroux fault which led to an Irish red card. Those two mistakes totally ruined Irish chances, like it or not.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Yes, I wrote it was a corner. Doesn't create France's goal in any 5 year old logic. Maybe if the match had started 5 seconds later, it'd be 5-1 Ireland as well, no?
As for irish chances, they were over at 1-2. Red card happenned after that.

OTOH, irish players made awful tackles with no chance at the ball for the first 30 minutes (it only resulted in one single yellow) and rolled on the pitch for the last 15 minutes of the first half, resulting also in one single yellow.

Bon Esprit

Jan 24, 2004
Yes, seriously. A five years old child could see there was a corner here, and France scored on the following minute. Same for the Giroux fault which led to an Irish red card. Those two mistakes totally ruined Irish chances, like it or not.

You aren't serious, are you?

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005

Indeed.

On the other hand, Ireland was lucky to have 11 men on the pitch (at that point).

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
So Hendrick, who already has a yellow tackles Coman at full speed, tackles the ankle, not the ball.

Ref calls foul, no card given. OBVIOUS second yellow.

How is the ref favouring France again???

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad