World Cup: R16: Colombia vs. England, 7/3/2018

Who advances?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Tomas W

Oct 23, 2007
Sweden
We'll see how the English will cope with the Swedish defenders, I think they will have to play better than this game, to have a chance to score.

That said Sweden took a blow in that wing defender Lustig got his second yellow card yesterday, and is now suspended for the QF. His replacement is much more inexperienced, so its not great for Sweden that.

Ivan13

Not posting anymore
May 3, 2011
Zagreb, Croatia
What are Sweden better at than Colombia?

Colombia are brilliant defensively with some bite going forward (not much though - at least not without James).

Sweden are rock solid defending deeply. Forsberg is good, but the rest of the attackers are just big lumps working hard. Perfect for England match up for England.

Not saying it is a given England will win. Could very well end up with a frustrated English team that give away that one CA or set piece. But I don’t see how Sweden are better (really hope Sweden win of course but that is another matter).

Playing as a team and not getting caught up in shenanigans for one.

Seiza

Feb 28, 2002
Sweden
I had to turn this game off. Couldn't stand the way Colombia kept diving and attacking the referee after every decision that went against them. Even England has jumped on the diving train. I really think Lingaard should have been sent off, already had a yellow when he clearly tried to get a penalty by diving.

I thought the game between Uruguay and Portugal was bad, and the way Brazil keeps diving, but this one took it to another level.

napoleon in rags

Fred's dead, Baby... Fred's dead
Jun 17, 2009
St. Helena
I had to turn this game off. Couldn't stand the way Colombia kept diving and attacking the referee after every decision that went against them. Even England has jumped on the diving train. I really think Lingaard should have been sent off, already had a yellow when he clearly tried to get a penalty by diving.

I thought the game between Uruguay and Portugal was bad, and the way Brazil keeps diving, but this one took it to another level.

Awful game. I was hoping for penalties simply so that either of the teams would experience anguish.

Stray Wasp

May 5, 2009
South east London
I've done a full 180 regarding Southgate in just a few months. I can see him staying for a long time.

Having not thought much of Southgate as manager of Boro, I respect the fellow's achievements with the national team to date. He gives the impression of managing as he steered himself through his playing career- aware of his limitations, but working hard and thinking carefully how to improve. He's also the first England manager in a long time who appears to be working in the present day game, rather than trying to hammer it into a shape that suits his failure to evolve.

I also think his low-key diligence meshes nicely with a team happily less burdened by rampant egos than its predecessors. It must help that while he himself must have an ego - no man can survive as long as he has in the professional game without one- he conceals it well. In some ways, the team's progress has been almost Allardycian in its dependency on not conceding a lot, while scoring a high proportion of goals from set pieces - but, crucially, we've been spared Allardyce's chippy, have-his-cake-and-eat-it self-promotion.

Southgate had the advantage of low expectations entering the tournament, and the order of England's fixtures in the group stage was fortunate in giving him leeway for a positive vibe to build. But his efforts will stand or fall on who England eventually lose to in this tournament, as well as the manner of the defeat. Sterling, for instance, appears to be on the brink of becoming this generation's John Barnes, and his manager may yet take a kicking for sticking by him.

I can understand why some fans are frustrated with the wing-back formation, but I consider it the lesser of two evils. As long as the English work on the basis that playing central midfield properly is something best left to foreigners, they'll always struggle to field a 4-2-3-1 formation that isn't a monstrosity.

Reactions: GB

Bondurant

Jul 4, 2012
Phoenix, Arizona
Love the saltiness about Geiger. Folks acting as if they're objective and failing hilariously. If he were European he wouldn't be up for discussion. Look, I wanted Colombia to win but their goal was theatrics. Terrible tactic and I don't feel sorry for 'em.

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
Love the saltiness about Geiger. Folks acting as if they're objective and failing hilariously. If he were European he wouldn't be up for discussion. Look, I wanted Colombia to win but their goal was theatrics. Terrible tactic and I don't feel sorry for 'em.

I think people are giving Geiger a bit too hard a time here as well. People like to trot out the "lose control" talking point, but there is some responsibility for that on the players' part as well.

We're looking at rather contradictory complaints as well. Colombia are complaining because a penalty was called on them, and they felt there was general bias against them (Geiger called far more fouls on Colombia and gave them 6 of the game's 8 yellows). England meanwhile feel wronged because there was no red card for the mild head butt by Barrios and they feel there should have been another red or two vs the Colombians.

Personally, I feel Geiger got all the major calls right and did not really affect the game's outcome in a significant way. The game was ill-tempered because the teams were ill-tempered. Colombia were up to their usual tricks, physical, quick to get angry and eager to argue about it with the ref and everyone else. England seemed to expect this and played a bit of the provoking game as well, also went to the ground easily.

I remember people ripping Ivanov after the Battle of Nuremberg in 2006 even though he certainly didn't shy away from carding players. In fact, people ripped him for showing too many cards even though it was a brutal match between two sides prone to such conduct. In this World Cup it seems like refs would rather not just dish out card after card, an approach that can certainly have its merits as well. Geiger did dish out cards, but I think he rightfully did not slant the game one way or the other by sending people off.

Reactions: N o o d l e s

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad