World Cup: R16: Belgium vs. Japan, 7/2/2018

Who advances?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
Japan is most definitely better than Russia, I don't think that is even a question. I can't see Belgium playing as passive as Spain did though.

PanniniClaus

Oct 12, 2006
In terms of talent as well.
Agreed - in terms of many things. Golovin and Akinfeev would be the two areas where Russia have superior talent...that is about it. Japan have a nice team...Likely not enough to trouble Belgium but they deserve their round of 16 place.

Reactions: kihei and Blender

Savi

Dec 3, 2006
Bruges, Belgium
No real surprises in the line up tonight;

Courtois
Alderweireld, Kompany, Vertonghen
Meunier, Witsel, De Bruyne, Carrasco
Mertens, Lukaku, Hazard

Reactions: Blender

PanniniClaus

Oct 12, 2006
No real surprises in the line up tonight;

Courtois
Alderweireld, Kompany, Vertonghen
Meunier, Witsel, De Bruyne, Carrasco
Mertens, Lukaku, Hazard
Maybe I have not been paying close enough attention but seeing Kompany start does surprise me...I did not know if they would risk him as a starter...he does not play 90 minutes too often.

Randyne

May 20, 2012
Japan is most definitely better than Russia, I don't think that is even a question. I can't see Belgium playing as passive as Spain did though.
WC 2018 AFC qualification:
Japan 0 - 1 Saudi Arabia
Japan 2 - 1 Saudi Arabia
WC 2018:
Russia 5 - 0 Saudi Arabia

Firsov99

Feb 17, 2006
Agreed - in terms of many things. Golovin and Akinfeev would be the two areas where Russia have superior talent...that is about it. Japan have a nice team...Likely not enough to trouble Belgium but they deserve their round of 16 place.
I don’t think that Japan has a center forward of Dzyuba quality. Then there are also Dzhikiya, Kokorin, and Igor Denisov, but they couldn’t make the WC for different reasons (ACL injury for the first two and “bad blood” between the player and the coach for the latter). Moreover, I think that the Russian 3rd string goalie is better than the Japan’s starting goalie. This is where Russia has always had great depth. So if there’s an overall advantage in talent for Japan, it’s marginal at best.

Firsov99

Feb 17, 2006
Kudos to Japan, but I think that it’s just a matter of time before they get punished for the high press.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->