R.I.P. Patrick Marleau's Ironman streak

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
Unless Marleau signs with the Kings or Wings today and suits up tonight, the second longest active Ironman streak (and sixth longest of all-time) ends tonight.

I speculated a long time ago that he may come up short due to ability and not injury. This is kind of a grey area though. While his ability has declined greatly, I think he can play in a bottom six and second pp unit, but does any team actually want/need him to? Does he just want more money to play another season than anyone wants to give him?

Either way, it's too bad. I hate seeing streaks like this end. Time to root for Kessel and Yandle I guess.

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
Damn, I saw that title at first in my notifications and my heart stopped for a sec

tenor.gif

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
Right, but without a buyout being a prerequisite other teams might have been interested as well for the right sweetener added to the deal.

That’s also very possible. Regardless, he definitely misplayed his hand. But I feel like there is some blame to be placed on Doug Wilson for not making it clear before the trade that there was not going to be a spot for Marleau.

Reactions: Phu and egelband

leaffaninvancouver

formerly in Victoria
Jan 11, 2012
That’s also very possible. Regardless, he definitely misplayed his hand. But I feel like there is some blame to be placed on Doug Wilson for not making it clear before the trade that there was not going to be a spot for Marleau.

Yeah that was odd. It was very clear Marleau thought he could come back. Did something change?

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016
He's not under contract, so his streak would remain intact if he signed with a team and continued playing

Reactions: Morrison

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
Reactions: kaiser matias

qwerty

Feb 4, 2007
Calgary
Who even decides what constitutes the end to a streak? Seems arbitrary. If a player doesn’t play 82 games in a regular season not due to a lockout or something like that, it should end. If not, everyone will always put an asterisk next to his name anyway.

Reactions: seventieslord

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
Gee I wonder why NHL teams don't want to sign a slow 40 year old who avoids contact because his streak is more important than winning.

He play towards the end of last season was difficult to watch, absolutely 0 intensity. There was an asterisk on that streak before this current contract issue.

Reactions: IPS

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
I don't care about Marleau. He is a selfish player, IMO. He didn't want to sit out a game or 2 at the end of last season just so he could keep his own personal BS streak. He was playing like his #1 goal was to preserve the iron man streak. He also expected the SJ Sharks to welcome him back with open arms. The guy is delusional and has a much higher opinion of himself than most other people.

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
I don't care about Marleau. He is a selfish player, IMO. He didn't want to sit out a game or 2 at the end of last season just so he could keep his own personal BS streak. He was playing like his #1 goal was to preserve the iron man streak. He also expected the SJ Sharks to welcome him back with open arms. The guy is delusional and has a much higher opinion of himself than most other people.

Yeah this. He was ok when he got some time off, but put the teams success behind his goal of getting a few more games in an iron man streak he might not even get to add to. He did nothing in the playoffs and was on the ice for critical minutes he did nothing with while being well paid.

I can appreciate everything he did for the organization while still saying he was very selfish last season and it's no surprise teams don't want to accommodate him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad