News Article: Quinn regrets "coaching this one guy."

Boris Zubov

No relation to Sergei, Joe
May 6, 2016
Back on the east coast
I thought the team improved after he took over in the Ted Sator season. Those players despised Sator. Im not judging Espo based on 10 playoff games. The team was only a 500 team at that time. I don't think they were going to beat Marios Penguins.

He was the most impulsive GM in sports history, matched only by George Steinbrenner. Peter Chiarielli would've been a significant upgrade had he been available.

I truly loved Espo's passion, but he was in way over his head. There's a good reason he never got a second chance to run another front office.

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
He was the most impulsive GM in sports history, matched only by George Steinbrenner. Peter Chiarielli would've been a significant upgrade had he been available.

I truly loved Espo's passion, but he was in way over his head. There's a good reason he never got a second chance to run another front office.
You are right. He traded like he was a fan not a pro. He took over a bad team. He made some pretty good trades but then for some reason he would trade the guys he already picked up for lesser versions. Trading for Walt, Johnny O, Mullen, Kisio, and McKegney were good moves but Ridley was not. Trading McKegney was not. Trading Walt was questionable. Some people act like it was all bad. I disagree. I think some was good but he was too impulsive. Reportedly had a trade for Gretzky agreed to by the Oilers but Gulf and Western said no over money.
He was president and GM of Tampa I believe. He deserves some credit for getting the team in Florida.

Last edited:

Boris Zubov

May 6, 2016
Back on the east coast
You are right. He traded like he was a fan not a pro. He took over a bad team. He made some pretty good trades but then for some reason he would trade the guys he already picked up for lesser versions. Trading for Walt, Johnny O, Mullen, Kisio, and McKegney were good moves but Ridley was not. Trading McKegney was not. Trading Walt was questionable. Some people act like it was all bad. I disagree. I think some was good but he was too impulsive. Reportedly had a trade for Gretzky agreed to by the Oilers but Gulf and Western said no over money.
He was president and GM of Tampa I believe. He deserves some credit for getting the team in Florida.

I agree, Podubny was a steal of a trade. All the others you mentioned were good deals, but the bad ones were epically bad. Good for him for cutting bait on Bobby Carpenter so fast, but to trade Miller & Ridley & Tom Laidlaw for basically a season+ of Dionne was unforgivable.

You're right he was the GM in Tampa. For some reason I thought he was in a figurehead position as someone who helped the ownership group acquire the expansion rights to the team.

B17 Apricots

May 18, 2016
DQ is a clown. The quote about 18/19 year Olds that are set in their ways is nonsense.. we're not talking about run of the mill prospects here, we're talking about high end draft picks. He was so focused on the meat and potatoes stuff that he forgot these guys were drafted to be game breakers. Let them play their game.

Reactions: mas0764 and Ola

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
DQ is a clown. The quote about 18/19 year Olds that are set in their ways is nonsense.. we're not talking about run of the mill prospects here, we're talking about high end draft picks. He was so focused on the meat and potatoes stuff that he forgot these guys were drafted to be game breakers. Let them play their game.

Yeah, a coach is definitely not entirely a product of the environment he has been in — but — a coach’s previous environment will have exposed some weakness and left some unexposed.

DQ was uncertain and very bound to his college ways. If you as a college coach get Jack Eichel on your team, what must be done? It’s simple, get him to adhere to some kind of high minimum standard across the board — and his offensive game and production will come by itself. He is that much better than the avg guy in the NCAA. In the NHL, it’s instead a tremendous challenge for a kid to get to a level where he can produce offensively.

As an organization we sought someone experienced working with kids — but in reality we needed someone who was good at bringing kids into the NHL. These things weren’t the same.

That is one thing. But what also became apparent was that DQ had so many bad habits, which had not been exposed in the past because a coach of a strong recruiting NCAA team is tremendously mighty and is held accountable to a bare minimum.

A NHL player will have demands on their coach. The team will require that the coach does his part. In the NCAA, to a very large extent, players are at the mercy of their coach. If a coach wants it, he can easily really hurt the career of most players at that level. What can a young kid do about it?In the NHL, DQ was constantly out in the media throwing players under the buss, calling them unacceptable, taking credit for their improvement attributing it to him disciplining them.

Why is that done? For the good of the team? For the good of the players? Of course not, it was for the good of DQ, at the cost of the players. Some of these things can be hard to ever wash away. You are at least scared of that as a player. I mean, that is why all teams talk about ‘keeping things in the room’. It’s not good for the team to bring them out to the media. DQ was really stunned when the players called him out for it. He had lived in his all mighty NCAA bubble his entire life (almost).

Another example is how reactionary he was to media’s amateurish view of the team accompanied with totally unproprotionate responses. Right after the TDA incident the entire team really bought into DQs new plan. That new plan was 10x more N-S than the Islanders ever played under Trotz. Of course, with tremendous consequences to individual players of the team.

Like really, you don’t take risks with the puck, move it around, because it is fun. You do it to lock up really capable defenses of NHL teams. Surely, there is a balance act going on here, and you err on both sides of it at different times. But when we stop doing that altogether — are you surprised if your top guys stop scoring??

Still, DQ was at the presser after each game throwing the top scorers of the team under the buss for not scoring. In essence: ‘I love our defense, that is my doing, but the problem is the players who stopped scoring, it’s their fault’. You knew instantly that he would loose the room completely after that. And for a good reason, it was just tremendously poor coaching with zero outlooks for success. And in addition, he took zero responsibility for it. I don’t know Basketball, never played it, can’t make a good analogy. But in my world it’s like if you have a player X that scores 80% of his pts from 3 point shots, and your coach goes ‘we won’t risk taking any more 3 point shots’ and then blames player X for not scoring when it doesn’t work out. No reporters around the NYR knows even anything basic about the game of hockey. DQ got questions, why aren’t X scoring, ‘it’s a mystery, just as I solve the defense, X stops producing’ was his response.

During the spring, we had totally abandoned that style, and was a mess on the ice, DQ was sitting there and was asked, hey in November you played solid defense for a while, what happened? And answers, “from my POV, nothing, I still want the team to play that way”. You have never before heard anything like that and you will never again hear anything like that. A team in the NHL that doesn’t even remotely play like the coach wants. At least except Howden and depth players. It landed like he would have said ‘I want my players to work harder’ instead of ‘the players don’t give a crap about the most fundamental aspects of our game plan’.

It’s for not stepping in after that, which lost Gorton his job. And honestly, the fact that the organization did not react showed how incompetent and rotten it really was. You had people at this place with connections into the organization going ‘nothing odd with that, think everything is fine, 50/50 if something should be changed for next year’. We should be tremendously happy that Drury’s purge if nothing else has eliminated the people, who could be asleep at the wheel at a situation like that, from the organization.

Last edited:
Reactions: B17 Apricots

chosen

Aug 2, 2005
ASPG
I thought the team improved after he took over in the Ted Sator season. Those players despised Sator. Im not judging Espo based on 10 playoff games. The team was only a 500 team at that time. I don't think they were going to beat Marios Penguins.
Was it public knowledge they hated Sator? I don't remember.

The Rangers certainly got better after Espo.

It's not like their ice time exploded under Gallant.

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
Was it public knowledge they hated Sator? I don't remember.

The Rangers certainly got better after Espo.

It's not like their ice time exploded under Gallant.
Yes it was 1000% public. Sator had feuds with vets. Sent Pierre to the minors. Pav wanted to retire because of him. Beck wanted nothing to do with him. Never seen a team have that kind of reaction so fast to a coach. Even Torts usually takes 1-2 years for guys to hate him lol.

Boris Zubov

May 6, 2016
Back on the east coast
Yes it was 1000% public. Sator had feuds with vets. Sent Pierre to the minors. Pav wanted to retire because of him. Beck wanted nothing to do with him. Never seen a team have that kind of reaction so fast to a coach. Even Torts usually takes 1-2 years for guys to hate him lol.

Pavelich quit the team & never played another game with the NYR midway through the 85-86 season because of Sator. Could've used him during the surprise run in that years' playoffs.

Reactions: NickyFotiu

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
Pavelich quit the team & never played another game with the NYR midway through the 85-86 season because of Sator. Could've used him during the surprise run in that years' playoffs.
Yeah Beck and Reijo also couldn't stand him. Ironically Pierre may have saved his job when he was called back up from the minors. I think he scored something like 25 goals in 25 games (guesstimate)

Boris Zubov

May 6, 2016
Back on the east coast
Yeah Beck and Reijo also couldn't stand him. Ironically Pierre may have saved his job when he was called back up from the minors. I think he scored something like 25 goals in 25 games (guesstimate)

That was such a bizarre season. What a roller coaster. Pierre was such a fun guy to root for & you could see he loved playing with Ridley & Miller.

Last edited:

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
That was such a bizarre season. What a roller coaster. Pierre was such a fun guy to root for & you could see he loved played with Ridley & Miller.
It was nuts. Pierre was great and fun as you said. "Lucky Pierre" had a nice playoff season as well. JVB stood on his head in those playoffs.

Reactions: Ola

chosen

Aug 2, 2005
ASPG
As I recall, Pav hated playing hockey and wanted out. I believe Sator was the one who called Beck a coward, but I'm not sure.

Reactions: Ola

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
As I recall, Pav hated playing hockey and wanted out. I believe Sator was the one who called Beck a coward, but I'm not sure.
I think that was actually Herbie Brooks with the coward comment but it was out of context and ridiculous.
Pav literally called Sator mean. Bottom line is Pav was a big producer befor Sator and at least a half dozen Rangers had issues with him. Pav went and played in Italy instead.
Maybe Sator just got carried away as a rookie head coach but he seemed like a tyrant. I say that as a fan who usually defends coaches.

Reactions: Ola and Boris Zubov

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
I don't know - I read this as he coached a guy the wrong way and regrets it. Could really be just about anybody.
I also do not see the logical pathway to a specific player. It’s kind of a dumb sentence, lol.

But then again, David Quinn is not really fresh in my mind.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $354.00