Speculation: Quinn Hughes to be named Captain

Status
Not open for further replies.

MarkusNaslund19

Dec 28, 2005
I mean, PR is a big thing in choosing a captain. Horvat seemed to be mostly a PR decision. It was very fan and media driven.

Miller got attacked vehemently for his 'attitude' when the team was struggling. Honestly, I haven't seen a player attacked by Canucks fans like he was for a long time. It was something else.

It's entirely possible that Miller (who seems to be a very prototypical Tocchet guy) wouldn't be considered because of the bad press that would surround it. He is clearly a major leader in the room, by most accounts.

I would love to see it because it would be entertaining. This year is pretty much a "do or die" year, and I want the team to throw all its chips into one basket, including trading the 1st if need be. Miller, I feel, would be the perfect captain for that.
PR is a secondary factor in selecting a captain save possibly for Montreal where they deal with the albatross of wishcasting leadership traits onto random francophones.

The idea that a team is going to neglect a competitive edge in order to appease fans who will buy tickets anyway is just out there.

Further, yeah the vitriol towards Miller was a bit much, but it was also terrible leadership and horrific body language.

From the outside looking in, I like Miller but he's far too mercurial to be a captain. He has a difficult time controlling his emotions by his own admission and a captain, even an emotional one, needs to have a handle on when to play the emotion cards and how to express them.

You'll never see a guy like Landeskog act petulantly or quit on a back check and that matters because a captain is a culture-setter.

Petey O

Laffy Taffy's gonna chew you up.
Feb 26, 2021
Canguker
PR is a secondary factor in selecting a captain save possibly for Montreal where they deal with the albatross of wishcasting leadership traits onto random francophones.

The idea that a team is going to neglect a competitive edge in order to appease fans who will buy tickets anyway is just out there.

Further, yeah the vitriol towards Miller was a bit much, but it was also terrible leadership and horrific body language.

From the outside looking in, I like Miller but he's far too mercurial to be a captain. He has a difficult time controlling his emotions by his own admission and a captain, even an emotional one, needs to have a handle on when to play the emotion cards and how to express them.

You'll never see a guy like Landeskog act petulantly or quit on a back check and that matters because a captain is a culture-setter.
What kind of "competitive edge" factors in to having a captain vs not having a captain?

I don't think it's really that important in the grand scheme of things. It's more a PR and entertainment value thing, in my opinion. Then again, I haven't played professional hockey.

Is there really a difference between a guy having a "C" on his chest vs an "A"? Wouldn't the players just naturally gravitate to the leaders anyways? And wouldn't the leaders in the room lead in difficult moments regardless of the letter on their jerseys?

Petey But Really Jim

I lejdjejejejejjejejjdjdjjdjdjdndndnnddndhdjdjdndd
Sponsor
May 3, 2021
What kind of "competitive edge" factors in to having a captain vs not having a captain?

I don't think it's really that important in the grand scheme of things. It's more a PR and entertainment value thing, in my opinion. Then again, I haven't played professional hockey.

Is there really a difference between a guy having a "C" on his chest vs an "A"? Wouldn't the players just naturally gravitate to the leaders anyways? And wouldn't the leaders in the room lead in difficult moments regardless of the letter on their jerseys?
I think there may be a lot of factors we don't know about as well in what goes into the captaincy. Like I kind of have to believe that to be the captain you must have an upper echelon dick. Nobody follows a needledick.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Calgary 1989 off the top of my head. I still think of Vegas not having a captain because they didn't for several years including their first Finals but yeah, Stone is officially the captain now.

Stone was named captain in January 2021 so Vegas did win with Stone as the captain.

Anyways, I think you disproved your own point here if the example you can come up with to support what you said is from over 30 years ago.

Reactions: MarkMM

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
A person I know with connections told me that Rutherford and Allvin were not happy with Horvat. They compared him to Crosby who would always come in 2 weeks before camp and would also organize dinners for the team and have dinner with new players, etc. Apparently Horvat came up seriously lacking in comparison.

That's the "room" aspect of the captaincy. It's taking the time to check in with a teammate. So if Hughes wants the captaincy and he has taken steps to prove himself to be a leader that's certainly a plus in my book.

Of course you also don't need the captaincy to do any of that. Tanev was "dad" without the C on his sweater.

petterdaddy

Sponsor
Jul 1, 2023
Vancouver
If Hughes wants it and it’s not just naming one to name one, sure. I think Quinn has shown impressive growth as person and is willing to speak up about uncomfortable issues (Pearson, Pride Night, etc) in spite of the league’s stance.

I get @MS point about unnecessary pressure, but I don’t think Hughes and Horvat are similar in this. Horvat never really separated himself from anyone else at the time (and I really like Horvat) and it definitely felt like a Hail Mary to appease fans.

Tocchet said he needed EP and QH to step up as leaders, both did in different ways but it’s pretty clear that Hughes wants to be Captain of he team. Petey can do his thing and lead by impressive example and I’m groovy with that, but I don’t recall a Canuck actively wanting the C (I’m projecting but whatever) as much as Hughes.

Canucks fans in general (myself included) are all on the verge of tears anyhow so it’s fitting. Also means the stupid Jersey fans can shut up about him coming to Newark for a hot moment.

MarkusNaslund19

Dec 28, 2005

Picking the wrong captain, since you stated they chose Quinn over J.T. because they wanted to appease 'casuals' would erode any sense of a meritocracy if it was actually the wrong choice being made due to external factors.

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
I haven't seen much of anything suggesting Miller is being considered either. It's just my personal opinion that he'd make a good captain.

And I call bullshit on, "Pettersson doesn't even know if he wants to hang around," and I said so here. If you can back that statement up, please do. You'll be the first person I've seen do it.

I mean, that's basically semantics. It's essentially out there now he's not willing to sign this summer because he wants to see how the season goes to see if the team is competitive. Maybe you don't like the phrase "doesn't even know if he wants to hang around", but phrase it however you want. He's maintaining optionality on his next deal.

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
Like I said in the other thread, this is literally the dumbest thing they could do and is repeating the Horvat mistake, and he'll get absolutely scapegoated by the casuals for his physical play/quiet demeanor/body language.

How hard is it to just let young players keep developing and improving without needlessly throwing this albatross around their neck?

in general i agree with you, re: young players.

but with hughes i disagree. i wouldn’t have made bo captain and i think petey as captain, even if he was signed longterm, is diminishing returns. but hughes has it, imo. he has never not worked hard, he has never stopped improving, even as a second year player he was holding his teammates accountable (bubble virtanen).

yes he doesn’t superficially resemble linden, a very very young player who was by any objective measure a great captain. but i think back to young sakic. nobody thought it was a good idea, this quiet non-physical finesse player. but not only did he have something special inside him, which imo quinn does too, the responsibility unlocked something extra in him in the long run.

I think this is hyperbolic. Naslund was all those things and, aside from playoff choker criticism, seemed to do alright.

Naslund was absolutely eaten alive by the captaincy, especially in the wake of the 2003 'choke' and looked like he hated playing hockey his last few years.

Captaincies literally don't matter. Lots of teams have done great without captains. Teams have won Cups without captains. It's mostly a PR thing for casual fans to latch on to. Just name a senior leadership group who wear the As and avoid putting unnecessary pressure on any one player.

I think the Moore hit had more to do with his decline than fan scrutiny. Henrik Sedin is another example.

The Bertuzzi thing made things worse but he was already struggling with things in that 2003 'choke'. He wasn't a good captain or a natural leader and would have been far better just wearing an A.

ugh, naslund. recently i revisited game 3 of the 2002 first round. the game with the cloutier beach ball goal and bertuzzi going off the rails.

naslund’s post-game comments at 5:27. he’s pretty composed, but that sigh—he knew they couldn’t compete in that series. and as a refresher, the canucks were 2-0 going into that game, riding a second half where they were the best team in the league by a winning percentage of 4 pts/82 and bertuzzi leading the league in scoring by the equivalent of 20 pts over a full season, and naslund riding shotgun in second place.

that man should not have been captain. those extra responsibilities were exactly the kind of distraction he didn’t need, as per ms’ point, when he should have been concentrating on finding ways to just be a superstar and score goals.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
Petterson's contract holdup is no question why the Captaincy will most likely be going to Quinn Hughes. We have Two Franchise players on the team, "Pettersson/Hughes", playing opposite positions, Both equally fit for being the next Vancouver Canucks captain. Sadly, "The wanting to win comment" and the hold up during contract negotiations withdrew Pettersson for Captaincy contest.

Anyways I'm praying both Pettersson and Hughes are with the Canucks for many years to come. They've given me hope the past 10 years. Would love to see "Both" players abilities on a Canucks team that is actually Good.
I dont think EP's contract holdup has anything to do with him not being a captain..I honestly believe that he just doesnt have a deep desire to be the Canucks captain...He's just uncomfortable talking to the media, and having a sometimes cranky, introverted EP dragged in front of TV camera's after every game, isnt a good idea..(and he knows it)..He just wants to 100% concentrate on his game, no distractions.

EP says it would be an honour to be the captain,(he has to say that),.. but I dont think that he would disagree that Hughes is the right call...Hughes (and his brothers) have been in the TV spotlight for years, and are naturals when dealing with the media. (even the tough questions).

Like other posters here, I think the whole captain thing is overrated, and can be done by committee...but if there is going to be a captain, Quinn is the right call.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Dhaliwal speculating that if Hughes is named captain, Pettersson's chances of pushing a trade request and leaving town after next season go up exponentially. Hard to argue with logic.

All you can hope for, is that the Canucks offered the captaincy to Pettersson, and he turned it down. But if that was the scenario, then it's not necessarily good news either.

The captain should be J.T. Miller, pure and simple.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
Dhaliwal speculating that if Hughes is named captain, Pettersson's chances of pushing a trade request and leaving town after next season go up exponentially. Hard to argue with logic.

All you can hope for, is that the Canucks offered the captaincy to Pettersson, and he turned it down. But if that was the scenario, then it's not necessarily good news either.

Its easy to argue against that logic...Making comments to the press that you're not sure about your allegiance to the team (second time he's done that, and he has absolutely every right..Its been a shit show the last 3 years).. EP has only had one elite season in the last 3 years, and will apparently be miffed if he doesnt get the captaincy..?..Reeks of entitlement to me..I like Dhaliwal,but disagree with him here.

Miller is one of my favourite players on the team, but he has even admitted himself, that he doesn't have a complete grip on his emotions..which cancels him out of the captaincy.

petterdaddy

Sponsor
Jul 1, 2023
Vancouver

Hughes and Petey are really tight, I sincerely doubt EP would do this and nothing in his character or history would suggest this. Dhaliwal is getting into some weird pop culture like speculation with this.

Maybe I’m just stupid but any time it’s been brought up to Petey re: Captaincy he’s always indicated he’s not that jazzed on being the C.

I would be fine with Miller as well given his commendable comments about the COVID schedule shit, and I think he’s very self aware of his flaws. But some people think not back checking for a bit and breaking a stick means he’s Satan and a terrible mentor. Bro probably has the most humility on the team and constantly says he knows he has flaws. I would rather have a captain who holds himself to a high standard than a laissez faire one like Horvat.

Reactions: sting101

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006

This is ridiculous and more reason why you should never listen to Dhaliwal for his opinions, only when he's being puppeted by agents. He's as bad as Don Taylor with brutal old man takes.

credulous

Nov 18, 2021
miller is not as popular in the room as people here speculate. naming him captain would guarantee pettersson forcing his way out imo

hughes seems like a compromise to me. pettersson isn't committed and isn't ideal anyways. miller is the "fan's captain" but has leadership issues on and off the ice. the only other real veterans (of both the nhl and the team) are myers, boeser and pearson. pearson might be a good temporary captain if he's healthy but they really do lack for someone like tanev or edler that is a mainstay of the team and also respected enough by their teammates

personally i think hughes is going to get all the same criticism horvat got (not physical enough, not willing to stand up for his teammates, bad with the media) but possibly even worse. the biggest worry is that if he struggles at any point the fans could really turn on him and it could get quite vicious

the team is kind of in a rough spot though with no real candidates on the horizon. maybe someone like the other pettersson or willander or mcdonough turns out to be what they are looking for but they're all three plus years away from being ready to be in that spot

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
miller is not as popular in the room as people here speculate. naming him captain would guarantee pettersson forcing his way out imo

hughes seems like a compromise to me. pettersson isn't committed and isn't ideal anyways. miller is the "fan's captain" but has leadership issues on and off the ice. the only other real veterans (of both the nhl and the team) are myers, boeser and pearson. pearson might be a good temporary captain if he's healthy but they really do lack for someone like tanev or edler that is a mainstay of the team and also respected enough by their teammates

personally i think hughes is going to get all the same criticism horvat got (not physical enough, not willing to stand up for his teammates, bad with the media) but possibly even worse. the biggest worry is that if he struggles at any point the fans could really turn on him and it could get quite vicious

the team is kind of in a rough spot though with no real candidates on the horizon. maybe someone like the other pettersson or willander or mcdonough turns out to be what they are looking for but they're all three plus years away from being ready to be in that spot
Miller is not a consideration as a captain, everybody acknowledges that.

Hughes is going to get criticized if he doesnt stand up for teammates, and isnt physical enough..?...What an utterly absurd comment...He's not Chris Pronger.

Reactions: MarkusNaslund19

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006
Re: Miller, read into it what you want but when he was on the dumb podcast (cam and strick) Cam Janssen asked him who he hangs out with on the team.

There was a loooooong pause, and excuse about roster turnover, and the he seemed to struggle to name Pearson, Myers, Demko, 2 guys not on the team anymore, and Boeser.

Reactions: MarkusNaslund19

petterdaddy

Sponsor
Jul 1, 2023
Vancouver
Re: Miller, read into it what you want but when he was on the dumb podcast (cam and strick) Cam Janssen asked him who he hangs out with on the team.

There was a loooooong pause, and excuse about roster turnover, and the he seemed to struggle to name Pearson, Myers, Demko, 2 guys not on the team anymore, and Boeser.
He has kids, and most of the core are single dudes in the early 20s. Of course he will have more in common with the older players who have families. Petey literally addressed this nonsense in his year end presser. He likes and respects Miller, they aren’t BFF but it’s embarrassing he even has to correct it.

Also, some people don’t want to hang out with co workers they spend half the season on the road with, it’s not that wild. I’m an extroverted introvert, I like my friends a lot but I spend a lot of time by myself and I like it. I don’t particularly want to hang out with my colleagues when I have other personal interests (no kids) I could pursue, it’s nothing against them as people.

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown

And where did you hear Dhaliwal say this?

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
He has kids, and most of the core are single dudes in the early 20s. Of course he will have more in common with the older players who have families. Petey literally addressed this nonsense in his year end presser. He likes and respects Miller, they aren’t BFF but it’s embarrassing he even has to correct it.

Also, some people don’t want to hang out with co workers they spend half the season on the road with, it’s not that wild. I’m an extroverted introvert, I like my friends a lot but I spend a lot of time by myself and I like it. I don’t particularly want to hang out with my colleagues when I have other personal interests (no kids) I could pursue, it’s nothing against them as people.
Both players laugh about it now..the apparent rift.

It takes all sorts of personalities to make up a team, ..Its not all about everybody being chummy..Miller is far from passive, and has carried the team on his shoulders numerous times.( back when Pettersson was doing squat)...Miller is a leader on the team, and has been identified as that by the previous two coaches, and the current one..(I'd venture to say that Tocchet has probably talked with Miller, and identified with him, more than any other player on the team).

Bgav

We Stylin'
Sponsor
Sep 3, 2009
Vancouver

what? what is the reasoning? Hughes and Petey are so tight wtf lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille