Speculation: Quinn Hughes to be named Captain

Status
Not open for further replies.

TomWillander1RD

Jul 21, 2004
I believe age certainly plays a role in leadership, especially when considering a group of guys in their twenties and early thirties. While Miller is overly emotional, I would still choose him as the team captain due to his presence and experience. The team has been led by many captains who seemed to lack emotion and traditional qualities expected from captains in the past, leaving me eager for a refreshing change.

Perhaps taking on the role of captain could assist him in managing his emotions more effectively.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
What you said is completely wrong. He said you can’t give it to Petey because he’s not signed yet and you never know he might ask for a trade.

Nice try dude
Right back at you. Either they offered the captaincy to Petey and HE turned them down because of his contract situation. Or THEY bypassed him altogether because of his contract situation and moved on to Hughes.

Only a true Canuck Kool-Aid drinker would put a 'positive spin' on this.

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006
Right back at you. Either they offered the captaincy to Petey and HE turned them down because of his contract situation. Or THEY bypassed him altogether because of his contract situation and moved on to Hughes.

You said something completely untrue, unless Dhaliwal said it somewhere else?

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017

Thats not what you implied.

You said him not being named captain would increase his chances of not re-signing...Thats not what Dhaliwal said.

Bgav

We Stylin'
Sponsor
Sep 3, 2009
Vancouver

Lmao you literally said if Hughes gets the c Petey would want out

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
On last night's Donnie and Dhali show on CHEK TV.

IMG_1691.jpeg

Chairman Maouth

Retired Staff
Apr 29, 2009
Comox Valley
I mean, that's basically semantics. It's essentially out there now he's not willing to sign this summer because he wants to see how the season goes to see if the team is competitive. Maybe you don't like the phrase "doesn't even know if he wants to hang around", but phrase it however you want. He's maintaining optionality on his next deal.

"Essentially out there" is not a credible source.

Last edited:
Reactions: petterdaddy

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
I see the concerns, but on the other hand, while Naslund seemed pretty mentally mopey and fragile even early on, I don't think I've ever seen Hughes remotely struggle with any sort of pressure-- just goes out and plays. While I agree that his style of play might draw unnecessary criticism by idiots who don't know what they're talking about, I'm not that concerned that that would negatively affect a guy like Hughes all that much, at least compared to others.

I'd have more of those concerns if captaincy were given to Pettersson, given how he was mentally during that down period two years ago, and how ticked off and bothered he can get by the media.

It's kind of like giving a guy like Tanev captaincy, IMO.

Reactions: vadim sharifijanov

CanucksSayEh

Apr 6, 2012
Miller would be a good choice. He has experience juggling a lot of things, and has that take no sheet, glove dropping style that previous captains have been criticized for their lack of.

He's signed for a long time though, if you want Hughes to be the guy at some point, JT isn't some place holder for him.

Tanev was the guy, always was, hell in a way he might still be cuz Hughes is gonna be calling papa up asking wtf do I say to these reporters!!?!

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Miller would be a good choice. He has experience juggling a lot of things, and has that take no sheet, glove dropping style that previous captains have been criticized for their lack of.

He's signed for a long time though, if you want Hughes to be the guy at some point, JT isn't some place holder for him.

Tanev was the guy, always was, hell in a way he might still be cuz Hughes is gonna be calling papa up asking wtf do I say to these reporters!!?!
Finally, some logic on this board. Why make a Hobson's choice between Pettersson and Hughes?

Miller is a perfect 'fall-back' position. Heck, he was the de facto leader on this team even when Horvat was here.

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
i remember bitd after bertuzzi broke through everyone wanted him to replace naslund as captain because he was physical and grumpy, which meant he was “passionate”

then later after luongo gave up the C there was a very sizeable contingent of fans who wanted kesler to get it, for the similar reasons

this is the JTM argument. all three guys are pouty babies to varying degrees but this is misinterpreted by some observers as passion and fire. and exactly none of those three has/had the respect of the refs. now kesler legitimately was a fiery competitor, warrior, and leader but we also now know that the downside is he’s going to take his ball and go home. bertuzzi was actually not even that fiery and obviously proved himself many many times over to have the emotional maturity of a puppy. and i think we can all agree with hindsight that bert would have been an even more disastrous captain than naslund, which ouch.

which brings us to JTM. does he care? sure. is it productive? sometimes. is he realiable? absolutely not.

i would have been totally happy with jovo as the WCE captain, and bieksa as the gillis core captain. i would have been equally happy with any of linden, ohlund, or morrison as the WCE captain and keeping henrik as the gillis core captain.

imo, hughes makes the most sense on this team by far. there has never been a public ultimatum hughes, or an emo hughes, or a losing his shit on the bench hughes, or a disconnected controller hughes, or a just following orders no matter how stupid hughes. there has only been a totally committed and never not bettering himself hughes.

Feb 19, 2018
Miller is the most passionate player on the team and speaks his mind like a Captain already. If you need a hit or fight or protecting a younger player is Hughes going to do that? I think of Lecavalier and Iginla in the cup finals throwing down and that is J.T Miller written all over it and not Hughes or Pettersson.

Reactions: David Bruce Banner

Reverend Mayhem

Lowly Serf/Reluctant Cuckold
Feb 15, 2009
Port Coquitlam, BC
Kesler is the most passionate player on the team and speaks his mind like a Captain already. If you need a hit or fight or protecting a younger player is Henrik going to do that? I think of Lecavalier and Iginla in the cup finals throwing down and that is Kesler written all over it and not Henrik and Daniel.

I did you a favour and 2010-ified your old-ass argument.

The C is a marketing gimmick for the fans.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
Miller is the most passionate player on the team and speaks his mind like a Captain already. If you need a hit or fight or protecting a younger player is Hughes going to do that? I think of Lecavalier and Iginla in the cup finals throwing down and that is J.T Miller written all over it and not Hughes or Pettersson.
Is a big hit,or a fight ,or protecting a younger player a prerequisite for being a captain ?.

No it isn’t.

Reactions: AlainVigneaultsGum

rypper

Dec 22, 2006
Miller would be a brutal captain. He's much better suited to wear an A. Your captain can be a quiet professional who let's his play do the talking and have an alternate who's the loud rah rah guy to balance things out.

When a rookie makes a mistake do you want your captain glaring at him on the bench?

The majority of current captains either don't fight, or have been in one or two fights in the last decade. It's a antiquated way of thinking.

HairyKneel

Jun 5, 2023
Dhaliwal speculating that if Hughes is named captain, Pettersson's chances of pushing a trade request and leaving town after next season go up exponentially. Hard to argue with logic.

All you can hope for, is that the Canucks offered the captaincy to Pettersson, and he turned it down. But if that was the scenario, then it's not necessarily good news either.

The captain should be J.T. Miller, pure and simple.
Dhaliwal is a bloody idiot. It’s very easy to not only argue with that logic but laugh at it. The guy, much like Friedman trolls the fans constantly.

rypper

Dec 22, 2006
Dhaliwal is a bloody idiot. It’s very easy to not only argue with that logic but laugh at it. The guy, much like Friedman trolls the fans constantly.
He is, but he also didn't say that (or "speculate" that) that was a figment of vanjack's imagination.

Reactions: HairyKneel

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
i remember bitd after bertuzzi broke through everyone wanted him to replace naslund as captain because he was physical and grumpy, which meant he was “passionate”

then later after luongo gave up the C there was a very sizeable contingent of fans who wanted kesler to get it, for the similar reasons

this is the JTM argument. all three guys are pouty babies to varying degrees but this is misinterpreted by some observers as passion and fire. and exactly none of those three has/had the respect of the refs. now kesler legitimately was a fiery competitor, warrior, and leader but we also now know that the downside is he’s going to take his ball and go home. bertuzzi was actually not even that fiery and obviously proved himself many many times over to have the emotional maturity of a puppy. and i think we can all agree with hindsight that bert would have been an even more disastrous captain than naslund, which ouch.

which brings us to JTM. does he care? sure. is it productive? sometimes. is he realiable? absolutely not.

i would have been totally happy with jovo as the WCE captain, and bieksa as the gillis core captain. i would have been equally happy with any of linden, ohlund, or morrison as the WCE captain and keeping henrik as the gillis core captain.

imo, hughes makes the most sense on this team by far. there has never been a public ultimatum hughes, or an emo hughes, or a losing his shit on the bench hughes, or a disconnected controller hughes, or a just following orders no matter how stupid hughes. there has only been a totally committed and never not bettering himself hughes.
I agree with all of this except that I don't think Bieksa would be a great captain either, for similar reasons. He's much less dependable than Kesler, often lazy for entire years at a time, while also being a bit reckless/immature at times (there are so many times where people praise him for showing his passion/emotion, but to me it comes across more like a childish hissyfit instead).

If I had to pick someone from that era who isn't the Sedins, it would be Hamhuis pretty easily.

MarkMM

Jan 30, 2010
Delta, BC

The "disconnected controller" bit had me laughing WAY more than it should, but that description and image is just too good. When I see a player doing that I won't be able to not think of this.

Miller would be a brutal captain. He's much better suited to wear an A. Your captain can be a quiet professional who let's his play do the talking and have an alternate who's the loud rah rah guy to balance things out.

When a rookie makes a mistake do you want your captain glaring at him on the bench?

The majority of current captains either don't fight, or have been in one or two fights in the last decade. It's a antiquated way of thinking.

It can work with the right player / circumstance, different sport but Michael Jordan got a lot of his teammates with that "drag you by your ear" type of leadership.

Ok thanks I didn’t realize that it was VanJack drumming up that story.

RD is still a troll though.

Yeah, RD doesn't provide critical thinking, more than most other commentators he just shouts other opinions as fact, and name drops that he talks to people as if that demonstrates he provides any value or insights, can't stand him.

Reactions: HairyKneel

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
i can’t take anyone who thinks miller is captain material seriously im sorry

like we are 20 games removed from him and the organization preferring a trade to the penguins

we are ~40 games removed from him being a net negative on the ice

then you factor in the pouty stretches when things were going bad

he’s also not popular in the market which absolutely matters

… and i like jt but ppl have the blinders on with him for some reason

Reactions: rypper

lawrence

May 19, 2012
I'm ok with it.

Petey openly said he doesn't want to be a captain. Give it to Quinn.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
I'm ok with it.

Petey openly said he doesn't want to be a captain. Give it to Quinn.
Pretty much..EP doesn't speak the language well enough to express himself....does'nt need the hassle..doesnt want the hassle...just wants to play.

end of story.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad