Player Discussion Quinn Hughes, Pt. VII

Dural

Jul 1, 2013
I don't think anyone is sleeping on Hughes, more like they slept on Tanev the year before, not fully realizing the extent to which Tanev stabilized the pairing.

I like everything about Hughes game, until the other team establishes possession and works it along the boards. It's not just a matter of size, either, quite often he'll look pensive and slow to challenge the puck, perhaps trying to read the play, but giving too much time. I think he's fully capable of making adjustments, and hopefully the improved top 9 and maybe some system modifications will help him out.

Johnny Canucker

Jan 4, 2009
I really don't think that there was any incentive for Hughes to sign early, particularly after the season he had.

Defensively he should be getting paid league minimum or 1M max. Offensively he should be getting 9M.

seeing as how he’s a defensman, I really hope Jimbo uses that as leverage.

Reactions: Ghetty Green

ChilliBilly

Aug 22, 2007
chilliwacki
I can't believe we are comparing him to Makar. He's close offensively, but compares terribly on the defence side. I think 8 x $6.5 - 7 M would be okay, on a bridge deal say 3 x $5.5 M would be about right. I know I am going to be disappointed with what dimiim actually signs him for.

He should not be considered an elite DMan just because of his decent offence. The liability of his defence should bring his contract down a long way.

And I am sick of signing (and overpaying) players based on their "potential". How many players have we had to buy out FFS?

Last edited:

LordBacon

CEO of sh*tposting
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2017
Hong Kong
Sign him long term like 8 years.
Takes up all his prime years and trade him to a team that likes to sign declining UFAs in the future.
He’s clearly a good player who’s worth investing into, 8 years at 7-8mil sounds good imho.

Reactions: mathonwy

CanucksSayEh

Apr 6, 2012
I keep thinking Hughes is gonna beast next season and shut up any doubters.. then remember this is the worst defensively coached team in the league, and every single player will get caved at ES. Hughes will take the majority of criticism for it.

strattonius

Jul 4, 2011
Surrey, BC
I keep thinking Hughes is gonna beast next season and shut up any doubters.. then remember this is the worst defensively coached team in the league, and every single player will get caved at ES. Hughes will take the majority of criticism for it.

There's a new defense coach that apparently is pretty good.

If Hughes has any chemistry with Poolman it could checkmark two big question marks: Poolman's contract and Hughes' defensive game. And of course when the inevitable injuries on the blueline happen, we know Schenn is a decent fill in partner.

Zippgunn

May 15, 2011
Lhuntshi
I think 8 x $6.5 - 7 M would be okay, on a bridge deal say 3 x $5.5 M would be about right. I know I am going to be disappointed with what dimiim actually signs him for.

So, once again, he's damned no matter what he does in your humble opinion. I don't understand why people like you bother...

geebaan

7th round busted
Oct 27, 2012
If you believe he’s a Karlsson pay the man

if you think he’s a Yandle do not pay the man

canuckking1

Feb 8, 2015
I've actually changed my opinion on a bridge. I'd sign him 8 years in the high 7's. I think the worst-case scenario is he's 65-70 point offensive D that's worth 6M dollars and will be 1.5 overpaid. If he does rebound on a bridge you're probably looking for an 8 figure Dmen and I don't see how we'd work around that.

Dural

Jul 1, 2013
Unless there are doubts about Petterson's health, he's (by far) the safer choice to lock up for 8 years. We already know he does everything you expect from a 1C, and in his career, it's not going to be an issue finding wingers who are a good fit for him.

Hughes does not currently offer everything you want in a 1D, and may always be dependent on a good partner to be highly effective. At the same time, a bridge deal for a team with cap issues introduces its own kind of risk. If the team is serious about building around Hughes (not a bad bet imo), then it needs to be very smart about how it manages assets and find him a long term solution. Trading someone like JT, rather than losing them for nothing as a UFA, will probably be required.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Hi guys.

Have to ask, why is Quinn Hughes already RFA ?

Why didn't his ELC slide after the first year? He played only 5 NHL games.

What am I missing in here?

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Hi guys.

Have to ask, why is Quinn Hughes already RFA ?

Why didn't his ELC slide after the first year? He played only 5 NHL games.

What am I missing in here?

He was turning 20 the same calendar year that he first played, so his contract did not slide and was counted as Year 1 as soon as he played.

Reactions: Henkka

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
I've actually changed my opinion on a bridge. I'd sign him 8 years in the high 7's. I think the worst-case scenario is he's 65-70 point offensive D that's worth 6M dollars and will be 1.5 overpaid. If he does rebound on a bridge you're probably looking for an 8 figure Dmen and I don't see how we'd work around that.
The idea that a 65-70 point Dman is a $6m player is absolutely ridiculous.

it’s 2021 not 2004.

clay

Aug 25, 2005
Vancouver
The idea that a 65-70 point Dman is a $6m player is absolutely ridiculous.

it’s 2021 not 2004.

Tyson Barrie just led the league in D scoring and signed for $4.5M per year. Being able to play defense is important when you're a defenseman. QH43 was a complete pylon last year and was worth nowhere near $6M.

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
Tyson Barrie just led the league in D scoring and signed for $4.5M per year. Being able to play defense is important when you're a defenseman. QH43 was a complete pylon last year and was worth nowhere near $6M.
Disagree 100%.

Top 10 in points.

Seems you’re blaming Hughes for the tire fire he plays on.

Pretending Hughes is miles behind Makar and not just in a worse situation is fascinating. It’s probably because there’s no cap room and folks want a discount.

Is it your position Hughes is Barrie? And should be at $4.5m?

The future sure looks a lot less bright if that’s true.

VanCity Millionaires

Oct 4, 2005
Vancouver
Unless there are doubts about Petterson's health, he's (by far) the safer choice to lock up for 8 years. We already know he does everything you expect from a 1C, and in his career, it's not going to be an issue finding wingers who are a good fit for him.

Hughes does not currently offer everything you want in a 1D, and may always be dependent on a good partner to be highly effective. At the same time, a bridge deal for a team with cap issues introduces its own kind of risk. If the team is serious about building around Hughes (not a bad bet imo), then it needs to be very smart about how it manages assets and find him a long term solution. Trading someone like JT, rather than losing them for nothing as a UFA, will probably be required.

This, this, and this again.

Sinistril

Oct 26, 2008
Disagree 100%.

Top 10 in points.

Seems you’re blaming Hughes for the tire fire he plays on.

Pretending Hughes is miles behind Makar and not just in a worse situation is fascinating. It’s probably because there’s no cap room and folks want a discount.

Is it your position Hughes is Barrie? And should be at $4.5m?

The future sure looks a lot less bright if that’s true.

So... Players that perform poorly should get contracts based on how they would hypothetically perform in a better scenario? It could be that players like Makar push their teams into being in a better scenario....

Bonham

Nov 24, 2008
Victoria, BC

There's a difference between 30 year old Barrie riding shotgun with the two best players in the league and a top ten offensive defenseman coming off his ELC.

Barrie knows he has a good thing going for him hence the reasonable extension.

Young, premier offensive minded defenseman like Hughes are going to get paid. I do agree that he still has a lot of room for improvement though.

mathonwy

Positively #toxic
Jan 21, 2008
QH43 gave FO a vote of nonconfidence last season for taking away his mentor, his friend and his meal ticket.

Now it’s on the FO to prove to everyone that they can operate like a real NHL team and not a knee jerk day-to-day yahoo team.

mathonwy

Positively #toxic
Jan 21, 2008
So... Players that perform poorly should get contracts based on how they would hypothetically perform in a better scenario? It could be that players like Makar push their teams into being in a better scenario....
Context matters.

We have countless examples of underperforming players in Buffalo.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad