Player Discussion Quinn Hughes, Pt. VI

Status
Not open for further replies.

NorCalhockey

Jan 6, 2017
Hughes should win the Calder as the best rookie, but sadly in the subjective voting system used by the Hockey Writers Association, he probably won't.

But let's be totally objective. Hughes is a year younger than Makar; was the leading rookie scorer in the league and only third d-men ever to do it; and more importantly had far more influence on his team's performance than Makar, who was playing on a far stronger team.

It should be enough. But may not be. It's just too bad that the last 14 games of the regular schedule got wiped out. I'm pretty certain Hughes would have widened his lead in the points race, forcing a number of writers to change their votes.

I'm late to this, but I can't ITA this post enough. @VanJack hit on the issues surrounding the voting system, and specifically, the Hughes v. Makar comparison for the Calder. Hat off to you, sir.

platotld

Fly Canucks Fly
Jun 18, 2014
Fraser valley
Saw on YouTube that Chris Johnston also voted for Hughes "by the slimmest of margins". Said the deciding factor was that Makar plays on a better team. "Quinn made a more measurable impact on his teammates than Makar did".

They won't be able to say that after we ass can the Wild and prove to the Rockies that the West Coast is the best coast as we float to the Stanley Cup Finals baaaaaby!

Reactions: Luckylarry

Lindgren

Jun 30, 2005
Harman Dayal has an article on The Athletic, offering an extensive statistical analysis of the top puck-moving defencemen in the league. Makar and Hughes didn't have enough games played to make it onto the official list, but he took a look at their results anyway.

The full article is worth looking at if you have access to The Athletic. It's not on The Athletic's Canucks page; you have to go to their NHL general site.

The article: By the Numbers: Identifying the NHL's best puck-moving...

An excerpt, dealing with Quinn, Fox, and Makar:

Top Rookie Puck Movers
PLAYERPOSSESSION EXIT %POSS. EXITS/60EXIT %POSS. ENTRIES/60
Quinn Hughes51.3% (1st)16.6 (5th)83.5% (1st)3.7 (40th)
Adam Fox48.7% (3rd)14.9 (16th)81.6% (4th)3.5 (45th)
Cale Makar46.4% (8th)15.0 (15th)80% (10th)6.0 (4th)
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
All three of these rookie phenoms have a case for being top-10 puck movers this season.
Hughes grades out as the NHL’s leader in both general and possession exit efficiency and finds himself behind only Karlsson and Girard for possession exit volume.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Harman Dayal has an article on The Athletic, offering an extensive statistical analysis of the top puck-moving defencemen in the league. Makar and Hughes didn't have enough games played to make it onto the official list, but he took a look at their results anyway.

The full article is worth looking at if you have access to The Athletic. It's not on The Athletic's Canucks page; you have to go to their NHL general site.

Top Rookie Puck Movers
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
All three of these rookie phenoms have a case for being top-10 puck movers this season.
Hughes grades out as the NHL’s leader in both general and possession exit efficiency and finds himself behind only Karlsson and Girard for possession exit volume.
IMO Quinn sees the game better, and moves the puck (passing) better than these two rookies by a substantial amount. When he adds skating the puck to his passing expertise, he will be the best D man at creating offence in hockey. I still am (pleasantly) surprised 6 teams passed on this phenom.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017

Top Rookie Puck Movers
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Where is Dahlin on this list?

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
Quinn Hughes is a transition GOD
His scoring was a surprise to me.
But I expected him to excel in the transition game, so this didn't surprise me.
You saw this at Michigan.
Quinn-hughes-transition-data.png

Reactions: Luckylarry

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
I’m not great at these types of charts. Is Quinn better or worse than Dahlin (for this part of the game) by these charts?

Breakers

Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
I’m not great at these types of charts. Is Quinn better or worse than Dahlin (for this part of the game) by these charts?

The Bars indicate Hughes is better. They compare to other defenseman in the NHL
But this is just transition, and we'll see if he maintains that as he gets a larger sample.
Hughes has his faults with other parts of his game and he isnt perfect, but transition is probably the strongest part of his game, and it is one of the best in the NHL for a d-man.

Vancouver went from 2nd last in the league in transition and exits to 14th this year. And that was most likely Quinn Hughes's doing. and it was the highest increase amongst any team.

BB06

Jun 1, 2020
Tied for first in NHL Defenceman scoring in the playoffs. We are not worthy!

David71

Dec 27, 2008
vancouver
he is the engine of the breakouts. his shifty skating and enabling him to escape incoming forecheckers is barnone by far impressive. i love his stops and his turns in the offensive zone when he has possession. he's just too shifty. patrick kane on defense

Breakers

Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
Crazy Series.
Kid played 11 minutes more 5v5 than anyone else on the canucks in this series which is a BIG GAP.
and for all ice time he played 5 more minutes than 2nd place

I mean while he was on the ice Vancouver generated 20 dangerous scoring chances for the series.
next closest player is 11
who does that as a rookie defenseman?

David71

Dec 27, 2008
vancouver
number 1 D does everything except PK. he is the engine that drives the offense with his skating moblity kid is that good. timeoff did him well too. gained a few muscles and hard to be bumped off unless its a bigger skater against him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad