Player Discussion Quinn Hughes, Pt. VI

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
I mean, it's basically a term that gained major prominence with Crosby, and then everyone started running it into the ground trying to apply it to every big young midget-age talent, and later every really good player that they liked, so it's not like it even matters.

Also, we live in a world that is more connected than ever. It's more likely, not less, that a 13 year old in Sweden or wherever will have "generational" hype now than they would have in 1997.
Excellent observation. Top players were called “great”. Hughes is clearly a “great” player. His greatness, though, doesn’t detract from other players also being “great”.

Reactions: Tony Stacks

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Some observers speculating that Hughes will lose out to Makar in the Calder voting because of the "Elias Pettersson' effect. Voters around the league could be reluctant to award the Calder to a player on the same team, for the second consecutive year.

Reactions: PredsForPresidents

sandwichbird2023

Aug 4, 2004
Some observers speculating that Hughes will lose out to Makar in the Calder voting because of the "Elias Pettersson' effect. Voters around the league could be reluctant to award the Calder to a player on the same team, for the second consecutive year.
What a stupid reason to vote against Hughes.

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado

I hope that isnt a quality of teammate argument or "dependent" upon.

Hughes scoring is very evenly distributed, and his highest "assisted for" teammate isnt even Pettersson.

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007

has that ever been an issue before?

like, i can't ever think of a time where a great rookie was coming in a year after a calder winner on his own team and got less love than he deserved.

i guess i can theoretically see an argument where someone could convince themselves that well the team is helping make the rookie look better than he really is, because look at the year before when a different rookie stepped in and looked really really good. but obviously this team isn't helping anyone achieve anything extra.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
What a stupid reason to vote against Hughes.
You won't get an argument from me.....but the votes for the Calder belong to the Hockey Writers Association, who don't watch the Canucks most nights and are swayed sometimes by shallow reasoning imo. So it would be naive to think that some might be swayed by awarding the Calder to same team, two seasons in a row.

BB06

Jun 1, 2020
Saw on reddit that Gord Miller also voted for Hughes. Looking good for our boy.

Disappointed EP40

Jan 13, 2015
Saw on YouTube that Chris Johnston also voted for Hughes "by the slimmest of margins". Said the deciding factor was that Makar plays on a better team. "Quinn made a more measurable impact on his teammates than Makar did".

Nicce. With the exact same reason as Elliott provided, I wonder if this was the reached consensus when talking about the pair, among media.

It's nice to see they dove deep into each player's impact and aren't doing it because the higher point total. I went from believing Makar was front runner due to the (unfounded) "he's better at defense" angle, to thinking it's Hughes' to lose.

This would really get rid of the "bUt yOu hAvE tO sEe MaKaR pLaY. hE's On AnOtHeR leVel" statements from those that haven't watched Hughes play. The worst.

Reactions: bh53

Disappointed EP40

Jan 13, 2015
Has any media leaked they voted for Makar ?

EDIT: The Atlantic came out with an article saying they voted Makar. They have a pay-block so I won't link it.

EDIT: Dater, not surprisingly thinks Makar is going to take it. He clearly has an inside track on it, and while others that have voted Hughes have said they voted Hughes, they also don't say they think he'll win, just why he should. Dater’s Daily Links: Cale Makar likely to win Calder

EDIT: McGuire voted for Makar.

Last edited:

mouz135

Apr 27, 2013
I thought for sure Hughes would wrap up the trophy when he became the third rookie dman in history to win the rookie scoring, sitting beside Hall of Famers Orr and Leetch, while doing it on a weaker team no less.

It’s not too late yet, but looks like a number of people are going with Makar.

bh53

Sep 18, 2017
Victoria
I think Gord Miller, Chris Johnston, Jeff Marek, Thomas Drance and Elliott Friedman all voted for Hughes while Craig Button, Eric Francis, Pierre McGuire (Pierre listed +/- as one of the main reasons he picked Cale), Adrian Dater voted for Makar.

Also saw something about someone voting for Merzlikins as their winner not sure who though.

Edit: Just saw this It’s too early to be making selections for NHL awards

Seems like Traikos is saying he picked Hughes for the Calder

Last edited:

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Hughes should win the Calder as the best rookie, but sadly in the subjective voting system used by the Hockey Writers Association, he probably won't.

But let's be totally objective. Hughes is a year younger than Makar; was the leading rookie scorer in the league and only third d-men ever to do it; and more importantly had far more influence on his team's performance than Makar, who was playing on a far stronger team.

It should be enough. But may not be. It's just too bad that the last 14 games of the regular schedule got wiped out. I'm pretty certain Hughes would have widened his lead in the points race, forcing a number of writers to change their votes.

Orca Smash

Feb 9, 2012
I think my issue is people who vote for the award in the media are often clueless, but also discussing who is better (or will be better), rather then who had the better season.

In their draft years i was a huge makar fan (I openly stated i would take him easily over heiskanen) and also a huge hughes fan, before either hit the nhl or quinn was drafted by us i felt he was going to be the slightly better player, i still believe that.

With that said if some of these writers are looking at who is better or who will be better (not who had the better season) then its hard not to imagine they are going to go with makar who has the size and strength hughes lacks as an undersized D many even on here still have trouble looking past, which often lumps hughes into the one dimensional torey krug type player (an undersized offensive only player). I have seen quotes in the media citing makars size and strength as evidence he can defend better and will be the total package.

Last edited:

Grantham

Mar 28, 2017
Let Makar win. Honestly I think he deserves it but by the slightest of margins (season plays through and I think Hughes was trending upwards).

This will add fuel to the fire inside Hughes :madfire::box:

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
i love hughes. he’s my calder pick, my calendar girl, my miss washington dc, my miss black america, all of it.

but i do think for his calder chances he was fortunate to have the season end when it did. he was slowing down but still close enough to that fantastic jan/feb run that that’s what people remember. (vs, for ex, petterssson’s end of year nosedive when he won his calder, or boeser’s in his rookie year before he tried to hit clutterbuck)

not that i follow makar enough to know how he was trending when they shut it down but i think it may have only gotten worse for quiggy.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
What say HF posters? Will Jack Hughes one day be as much of an impact player as his older brother Quinn? Showed flashes during his first season in Jersey, but seemed to struggle at times with the physicality and close-checking of the NHL.

Does Quinn have the advantage of playing a position where he's free to do more freewheeling and skate the puck through the neutral zone. For that reason, might he have a better NHL career?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad