Player Discussion Quinn Hughes, Pt. VI

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bertuzzzi44

Jun 26, 2018
Hughes is an amazing talent and has vastly improved the Canucks transition game and Powerplay, however he needs to improve his overall defensive game. He will become a better defender as he physically matures. Won’t get outmuscled as much as he gets stronger, should develop solid balance as he gains strength because of his low centre of gravity and skating edge work.

Last edited:
Reactions: Flik

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
Whether this management team or future ones, I hope the Pettersson and Hughes success stories encourage them to lean more toward pure, high-end skill in future drafts as well. It was maddening watching the Canucks pick project players, big guys or supposedly "well-rounded" players year after year for so long, then depending on the GM (largely Quinn) swindling other teams out of scorers and playmakers in trades to make up for it. This is one of the reasons I'm always willing to defend picks like Schroeder or Grabner even if they don't work out – skill above all. Unless you're Michael Bay, you teach astronauts to use a drill, rather than teaching oil-drillers to go to space.

Completely on board with this philosophy. Prioritize high end skill in drafts whenever possible. It's not available anywhere else for as cheap a price as a draft pick. Take advantage.

All that said, there is a threshold where pure skill is accompanied by physical characteristics that result in a weaker overall player (projected). Take the 2019 draft for example: The best alternative pure skill option, to my mind, was Caufield. However, Caufield lacked in skating, height, and overall weight. His pure skill was/is tethered at every turn. Where as Podkolzin is the opposite: His skill is questioned because of his lack of production, but his physical ability is multi-faceted. That was generally an even call between the two. So was it wrong to take the more rounded player there? I do not think so, but time will tell.

Zegras would have been ideal though, and one spot can make all the difference.

Reactions: Flik

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
I know Markstrom gets the most votes for team MVP this season, but if Demko holds the fort for the next month, then talk about the Canucks MVP has to shift to Hughes.

The ice-time leader on the blueline; could hit the 70 point plateau as a rookie and now fourth in d-man scoring in the entire NHL; a critical cog in the first unit pp; and in three-on-three OT, the kid is virtually unstoppable. Even the game last night, when he was having a rare 'off-game', his play in OT was simply off the charts.

This kid just seems to shrug off the odd bad play or tough shift, and recover his A-game when the Canucks need it most. Only 60 games into his NHL career, and he's already the best d-man the Canucks have ever drafted.

And another thing to consider: Never in their history have the Canucks had a d-man who was even in the conversation for a Norris Trophy. Until now. Could see Hughes actually winning it one day if he stays healthy, and as a team you can't win anything without a Norris-quality top d-man.

canuckking1

Feb 8, 2015
The stretch drive is coming. The next few games on the east coast are huge especially the Toronto one because it'll get the most media attention.

775d4c0c-1b26-4ecc-ba91-9b3534d5d31d-jpeg.327469

Johnny Canucker

Jan 4, 2009
I needed to re post this.
This was my post in another thread on draft day after we chose QH

“I cannot stop laughing at the Canucks scout who actually fist pumped when Zadina was chosen before our pick. They are going to replay that as a meme for a decade after Zadina wins the calder.”

I’ve been wrong pretty much in everything but probably never more wrong than this. What a dumb post I posted at the time. At the time that’s what I really thought tho. Figured I should out myself and come clean on how wrong I was as I dish it, so I gotta be able to take it.

terrible terrible take by me.

NorCalhockey

Jan 6, 2017

“I cannot stop laughing at the Canucks scout who actually fist pumped when Zadina was chosen before our pick. They are going to replay that as a meme for a decade after Zadina wins the calder.”

I’ve been wrong pretty much in everything but probably never more wrong than this. What a dumb post I posted at the time. At the time that’s what I really thought tho. Figured I should out myself and come clean on how wrong I was as I dish it, so I gotta be able to take it.

Good for you for being able to admit you were wrong, but even bigger props for admitting it publicly. Too often in life, people will die on a hill with their original opinion/thoughts come hell or high water.

Reactions: I am toxic

CpatainCanuck

Sep 18, 2008
The stretch drive is coming. The next few games on the east coast are huge especially the Toronto one because it'll get the most media attention.

Qui

Can't believe Olofsson is getting that number of votes. He is 10 points behind Quinn Hughes and is a forward.

Quinn Hughes is 4th in scoring among all defensemen.
Olofsson is 90th in scoring among all forwards.

Last edited:

Bertuzzzi44

Jun 26, 2018

I was disappointed we didn’t get Zadina as well lol.

Reactions: Nucker101

Zarpan

Apr 27, 2010
Vancouver
Can't believe Olofsson is getting that number of votes. He is 10 points behind Quinn Hughes and is a forward.

Quinn Hughes is 4th in scoring among all defensemen.
Olofsson is 90th in scoring among all forwards.

Those are point totals based on a 5 for 1st, 4 for 2nd, etc... basis. Olofsson could get up to 54 points without getting a single top 2 vote. It does look like up to three writers have someone other than Makar or Hughes in their top two though.

Reactions: CpatainCanuck

ddawg1950

Jul 2, 2010
Pender Island, BC Palm Desert, CA

Well, others can forgive you with a "Like" but I'm still not over it.

Jay Cee

P4G
May 8, 2007
Halifax

I remember that and I had it in my memory bank to shred you one day. Kudos to manning up. Mucho respect .

Johnny Canucker

Jan 4, 2009
I remember that and I had it in my memory bank to shred you one day. Kudos to manning up. Mucho respect .

Thanks man. Sometimes I post idiotic things. To be honest I wasn’t trying to get a rise out of the group, I legit thought Zadina would be the better player. Just so much hype about him before the draft. The high kites were good too. He can still turn it around. He’s on a dog crap team too.

Johnny Canucker

Jan 4, 2009
Well, others can forgive you with a "Like" but I'm still not over it.

Hahahahaha. I don’t need likes. Just needed to admit how bad of a take I had. I have no issue admitting when I’m wrong. Posters that have been around a long time know that. I always have a chuckle when some new poster says “you don’t show up or post when we win, only when we lose”.

I literally post every game, win or lose. Start to finish. For a decade. On vacation, when I’m physically at the game etc. I’m a lot of terrible things but One thing I’m not is a chicken ****.

ddawg1950

Jul 2, 2010
Pender Island, BC Palm Desert, CA
Hahahahaha. I don’t need likes. Just needed to admit how bad of a take I had. I have no issue admitting when I’m wrong. Posters that have been around a long time know that. I always have a chuckle when some new poster says “you don’t show up or post when we win, only when we lose”.

I literally post every game, win or lose. Start to finish. For a decade. On vacation, when I’m physically at the game etc. I’m a lot of terrible things but One thing I’m not is a chicken ****.
Actually, you do show up, win or lose, when others disappear.

NuxFan09

Jun 8, 2008
Merritt, BC
Was on the Dobson train. That's why I'm not an NHL GM or scout.

Also was furious with Gillis for taking Horvat over Nichushkin.

Favster

Jul 21, 2013
Montreal
Habs fan here. Given our draft position, I followed the 2018 draft very closely and never understood why this guy wasn't a lock in the top 5. He was easily my choice at 3 for the Habs. He reminds me of a modern day Scott Niedermayer; elite skaters with high IQ and average shot. Was dissapointed we didn't draft him but happy he's with you guys and more importantly, in the West lol.

SillyRabbit

Trix Are For Kids
Jan 3, 2006
Is it me or is Hughes not getting nearly the media push that he deserves?

Makar got so much hype during his hot start, and deservedly so.

But Hughes has been racking up points at an incredible rate in 2020 and the media doesn’t seem to have acknowledged that he’s either surpassed or at the very least drawn even with Makar in the Calder race.

I think needs a big game that’s nationally televised to finally get the talking heads to give him his due. Most awards are voted on based off of the narrative surrounding the contenders. Hughes needs media hype in order to win.

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
Those are point totals based on a 5 for 1st, 4 for 2nd, etc... basis. Olofsson could get up to 54 points without getting a single top 2 vote. It does look like up to three writers have someone other than Makar or Hughes in their top two though.

I think on the main boards someone posted Makar had 11 1st place votes (so then 8 2nds and 1 3rd), Hughes had 6 1st place votes (so 11 2nds and a 3rd) and Elvis somehow had the other 1st.

PavelBure10

The Russian Rocket
Aug 25, 2009
Okanagan
Is it me or is Hughes not getting nearly the media push that he deserves?

Makar got so much hype during his hot start, and deservedly so.

But Hughes has been racking up points at an incredible rate in 2020 and the media doesn’t seem to have acknowledged that he’s either surpassed or at the very least drawn even with Makar in the Calder race.

I think needs a big game that’s nationally televised to finally get the talking heads to give him his due. Most awards are voted on based off of the narrative surrounding the contenders. Hughes needs media hype in order to win.

Agreed. Playing in the west is under valuing Hughes amazing season, he doesn't get the media attention he deserves. I don't mind that at all, but I'm afraid it may cost him the Calder. At this point I think Hughes should be the front runner for Calder, but a lot of media is still giving it to Makar.
If Hughes played for Toronto you would hear about Hughes non stop.

Eitherway I love this player, he is a treat to watch.

Reactions: SillyRabbit

Big Drama Show

Oct 5, 2016
Best player in that draft. Only Svechnikov is having a similar impact

I like Brady Tkachuk but in 3 on 3 OT, he's stapled to the bench. Rather have Beagle out there

This statement is patently false. He is in the OT forward rotation every game and has 2 career OTGs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad