Player Discussion Quinn Hughes, Pt. V

Status
Not open for further replies.

lawrence

May 19, 2012
kids confidence is really through the roof. Alot of the plays he makes, a regular dman will probably just throw it down deep and hope the fowards will retrieve. He would skate around with the puck dangling around players in the offensive zone maintaining puck possession.

Kid is a game changing player for our franchice. He is the type of component needed for a cup run one day.

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
The kid is insanely talented. Has a incredibly high ceiling and is really really smart. Pat Kane on defense

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Only three games in, and I'm struggling to find a single d-men in the entire NHL who plays the game the way Hughes transitions the puck; spins off defenders and changes the angles on his shots. Maybe a limited comparison would be Morgan Reilly in TO; or Cale Makar in Colorado;

But Hughes does his best work in the offensive zone, which is mind-boggling for a rookie blueliner. It's like watching a d-man version of Johnny Gaudreau or Patrick Kane.

Raistlin

Aug 25, 2006
He only played 16 mins tonight, but I swear it feels like he played 25, because everytime he's on the ice, you notice him. I can only think of another player as noticeable and plays similarly, he's Paul Kariya in LD. The agility and the edges are elite, speed is good and tonight, it looks like that muffin of a shot that sunk him to 7th overall is not as advertised. If he has a decent shot on the point, I daresay he can get into Klingberg, Reily production level down the line.

MikeK

Nov 10, 2008
Earth
This kid looks very good. He is so skilled. Hard to believe he's only going to get better.

CloutierForVezina

May 13, 2009
Edmonton, Alberta
One aspect of Quinn's game that was criticized was his shot. After seeing him improve on that aspect he can absolutely be a game breaking number one offensive Dman. Can't believe he fell to number 7, super excited for this player.

His shot really caught me off guard last night. I was hoping that maybe he could maybe work on it for the next couple of years and end up with average shot eventually, but it's already pretty good.

The outlook of his entire offensive game changes when defenders and goalies have to respect his shot and not just his dipsy doodling and playmaking.

tradervik

Hear no evil, see no evil, complain about it
Sponsor
Jun 25, 2007
I still can't get over Hughes's entry on the power play where he was surrounded by 4 Kings and made a behind the back pass to Gaudette, who was able to walk right in to the slot for a great scoring chance. The Athletic's game recap has a video clip but I can't find a public one or I'd post it here. Pure wizardry.

I am toxic

. . . even in small doses
Oct 24, 2014
Vancouver
I still can't get over Hughes's entry on the power play where he was surrounded by 4 Kings and made a behind the back pass to Gaudette, who was able to walk right in to the slot for a great scoring chance. The Athletic's game recap has a video clip but I can't find a public one or I'd post it here. Pure wizardry.

From the main forum:

I am toxic

. . . even in small doses
Oct 24, 2014
Vancouver

This.

One thing that stood out in my mind was the contrast between this particular zone entry by Hughes, and another zone entry (I think early 2nd period) by Pettersson, right by the Canucks bench.

It looks to me like Pettersson is playing conservatively. I think that is a mistake, but also that it is likely what Green wants. I think these players should make high risk, high reward plays, but I don't think Green has that same philosophy.

Anyway, I agree about Hughes - I still can't get over his entry there. Would like to see him on PP1. HFCanucks managed to pressure Green into getting Leivo off PP1:sarcasm:, we need to maintain that pressure and have Hughes replace Edler.

Motte and Bailey

Jun 21, 2017
I was too conservative in my previous points expectation of Hughes. Anything under a point per game would be a disappointment.

This kid is a generational defense man. He will be the PK Subban/Karlsson of this generation. I’d be shocked if he doesn’t win at least one Norris.

GetFocht

Indestructible
Jun 11, 2013
I was too conservative in my previous points expectation of Hughes. Anything under a point per game would be a disappointment.

This kid is a generational defense man. He will be the PK Subban/Karlsson of this generation. I’d be shocked if he doesn’t win at least one Norris.

those are ridiculous expectations, if he comes out with 50 points at the end of the season, then that is an absolute monster season.

Motte and Bailey

Jun 21, 2017
those are ridiculous expectations, if he comes out with 50 points at the end of the season, then that is an absolute monster season.

They are ridiculous expectations for anyone other than Quinn Hughes. The kid is already a very special player. I could barely sleep last night thinking about how amazing this kid is going to be for us.

Raistlin

Aug 25, 2006
o n a side note, If QH is that Makar level prospect and all signs appears to point to it. Then the development of Juolevi in Utica is that much more important to our window to contend a few years down the line. No, we shouldn't give up on him yet.

iceburg

Don't ask why
Aug 31, 2003
Some perspective: Only one Canucks D-man has reached 50 points in the last 20 years (Erhoff in 2010/11 with 50 points). Only 11 D-men have scored more than 50 points in franchise history and 10 of 11 of those came in the 70s and 80s.
To repeated what another poster said earlier, 50 points would be a monster season.

Reactions: timw33

DonnyNucker

Mar 28, 2017

Wtf. Calm down. Also, how is Subban generational LMFAO

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
We always talk about a player's 'ceiling', but what's the 'ceiling' for this kid? Only eight games into his career, he seems to be improving every time out. And by his own bold predictions, he says he'll be a 'lot better' after 30 games than he is right now. And I more than half believe him. He obviously has supreme confidence in his game, and knows he can be better....a scary thought for the rest of the Pacific Division.

Last season, posters were saying that Pettersson might be one of the most talented players the Canucks have ever drafted...and he is a sublime talent....but Hughes might blow those projections out of the water once he's firing on all cylinders. He's that good.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad