Player Discussion Quinn Hughes, Pt. V

Status
Not open for further replies.

Billy Kvcmu

Dec 5, 2014
West Vancouver
Criticism about his shot needs to tune down a bit
Quinn deserves more ice time
He doesn’t have a hard shot but he knows how to hit the net which often lead to trouble for the opponent.

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
Hey guys... I need a reminder...

Based on the sample of his games at the end of the season...

What are the areas of concern for this guy defensively?

I mean, I remember him struggling in front of the net a couple of times... but was there anything else that stood out in his games?

I know we can theorize where he may struggle... but I'm trying to remember what we actually saw other than in front of the net.
What did anyone here see that made you go.. "Oh damn, he has to work on that".

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Offensively with the puck on his stick he should be pretty good. Think defending off the rush he’ll do ok.

Against a cycle game in his own zone see how he fares.

Jack Burton

Pro Tank Since 13
Oct 27, 2016
Pork Chop Express
Offensively with the puck on his stick he should be pretty good. Think defending off the rush he’ll do ok.

Scoring goals is my biggest concern. This kid is going to get glorious opportunities but yet like his entire career...can't put the puck in the net.

Hansen

tyler motte simp
Oct 12, 2011
Nanaimo, B.C.
Honestly in the brief periods Ive seen him play it seems like he passes the puck harder than he shoots it. I don't know if he'll be a big time goal scorer from the blueline, but I wouldnt be surprised if he scores his goals from the halfwall or tighter in, he doesn't stay on the blueline very much he is very active. I'm not worried about his scoring in that regard

F A N

Aug 12, 2005

That's why you put him with our version of Zdeno Chara: Gud... er... Tryam... err... Myers. :thumbu:

The Vasili Jerry

Serenity now!
Jun 11, 2011
Orange County
His skating and IQ are well above average but his size and strength are well below average. I think it all comes down to how well his strengths can cover his weaknesses.

CloutierForVezina

May 13, 2009
Edmonton, Alberta
I honestly can't wait till this fan base sees how defensively bad he is.

This is always such a weird criticism to me, because it's so ridiculously broad.

What part of his defensive game do you hate, specifically?

Is he weak in front of the net? Probably, he's like 20 years old and like 170 lbs. He's going to get pushed around by power forwards who are 6'3" 220 lbs but most players are going to get pushed around by those.

Does he make boneheaded plays while defending? Does he lose his man, get beat wide, let people walk to the net uncontested? Does he fail to block off lanes? Does he fold like a rented lawnchair under the slightest hint of a forecheck? Does he generally make poor decisions with the puck in the defensive zone?

When I watch Hughes play I don't see someone who is poor defensively. I see a young defenseman who gets overpowered occasionally, but has elite puck transition skills and fantastic poise who is most comfortable handling the puck under pressure. He has both elite skating and above average passing as options in his toolbox for evading a heavy forecheck and clearing the zone. He is prone to getting too fancy with his plays, but that will improve with maturity and time.

He is a little over-eager to jump up and join the rush which can sometimes blow up in his face and lead to an odd man rush the other way, but this is somewhat mitigated by his elite skating allowing him to come back and occasionally break up the play. I also think it's wrong to simply say something like "Hughes on average allows 3.8 odd man rushes against / 60 minutes due to his risky pinches in the offensive zone". I think you have to look at risk/reward and find a plus/minus of his risky plays. If he risky plays scores more goals for than they cause goals against, then it's a net positive.

I also think, again, that his decision making will improve with age. Right now he's feeling out what kind of risks he can get away with at the NHL level and I don't expect him to continue making the same poor pinch again and again and again. I expect him to become more selective and more effective at taking risks for offensive opportunities.

And can't score goals.

Hit shot will likely improve over time, but either way having a Phaneuf/Weber/Chara level heavy shot isn't required to be an elite offensive defenseman.

WetcoastOrca

Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
The kid is going to bring the fans out of their seats. Really excited to see him get a full season. Just pair him with a solid defender and let him do his thing.
He should give a huge boost to the power play as he’s just so creative which we haven’t really had from the defense since Ehrhoff. Him and EP ad libbing on the PP should be a treat to watch.
We can live with the odd defensive mistake as he just brings such a new dimension to the team.

Reactions: Indiana

ddawg1950

Jul 2, 2010
Pender Island, BC Palm Desert, CA
An offensive D man does not need to score goals to be effective.

A good first pass out of the zone, an ability to walk the blue line and skate and hold the puck on a PP, an IQ that reads the play properly in the O zone and an ability to set snipers up on a consistent basis as well as just getting the damned puck on net...maybe the most important skill of all. Those are among the most important requisites, IMO, and something Hughes has in spades.

He may not light the lamp himself, but he should be running the PP relatively soon and over his career he will chalk up a lot of points.

Szechwan

Sep 13, 2006
Heavy shot is definitely not a requirement, it just needs to be good enough that the opposition respects it. That alone will open passing lanes to other players, and if they decide to give him room and cover those lanes, he needs to be able to walk in and bury it.

I don't think this is going to be an issue, personally.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad