Prospect Info: Quinn Hughes, Pt. IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cupless44

Jun 25, 2014
How’s about sign him and play him 9 games, spending time in the press box isn’t gonna kill him, let him play, practice and br part of the big club, if we make the playoffs then fine he will play otherwise let the plug be pulled on this season and just position yourself to be better next year

Seems blatantly obvious

bobbyb2009

Sep 3, 2009
Actually NTC's are mandatory to be protected (unless they waive it like Fleury)

Are you sure about that? I didn't think this was the case last time. NMC yes but NTC, I didn't think so? Or was it partial NTC didn't have to be but full did?

bobbyb2009

Sep 3, 2009
Seems blatantly obvious

I kept asking this question a while back, and I will ask again here with all the talk about keeping him under 9 games...

The way I read the rules, QH turns 20 in this season, the season he will sign his ELC. As such, isn't he part of the exception in the rules, and if he plays even 1 professional game this year, AHL or NHL and he signs his ELC in his 20 year old season, his contract doesn't slide?

He would have this year as a professional year, next year, and the year after. Meaning, if this is true, even at one game, he would need to be protected.

I am not sure it is blatantly obvious then?

But as I say, I have been asking for clarification from someone in the know. Recently, the person who was arguing that his 20 year old season is next year claims that my concern was correct and it is this year?

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
Actually NTC's are mandatory to be protected (unless they waive it like Fleury)

I believe this is incorrect. I looked into this and the Wiki (I know) said that NMCs with partial No Trade Lists have be protected. Nothing about NTCs of any variety.

Digging deeper, Jason Garrison and James Neal were both picked up by Vegas during expansion. At the time, JG was still on his NTC protected contract that VAN had given him. James Neal also had a Modifed NTC on his PIT issued contract. He was picked up from NSH at the time.

Reactions: Megaterio Llamas

Blue and Green

Out to lunch
Dec 17, 2017
I kept asking this question a while back, and I will ask again here with all the talk about keeping him under 9 games...

The way I read the rules, QH turns 20 in this season, the season he will sign his ELC. As such, isn't he part of the exception in the rules, and if he plays even 1 professional game this year, AHL or NHL and he signs his ELC in his 20 year old season, his contract doesn't slide?

He would have this year as a professional year, next year, and the year after. Meaning, if this is true, even at one game, he would need to be protected.

I am not sure it is blatantly obvious then?

But as I say, I have been asking for clarification from someone in the know. Recently, the person who was arguing that his 20 year old season is next year claims that my concern was correct and it is this year?

To my knowledge, expansion draft status follows the "professional experience" requirements for Restricted Free Agency rather than ELC slide requirements. That's how it was reported by most outlets.

If that is the case, Hughes would need 10 games with the Canucks and/or Comets on a standard player contract (as opposed to amateur tryout contract) to qualify for a year of professional experience.

Steely Van

Oct 12, 2018
Pretty nice one-timer to score on a 5-on-3 for Michigan, tied at 1 against OSU. Shot is improving.
I hoped that it'd get better. If his shot becomes a threat on the power play, unlike Stecher's, who I think is a good defenseman, He might draw more attention and give Boeser and Pettersson more room to release their shot without being blocked When Quinn joins the Canucks.

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
Like, the clue is in the name. A No Movement Clause protects you from ANY movement (including ED.) A No Trade Clause only protects you from trades (ED draft is not a trade.)

I think it gets confusing when players can have NMCs with limited no trade clauses, but that's me.

carrotshirt

Jan 1, 2009
Benning has only said that he is not worried about him playing too many games to have protection not be an issue.
That is vastly different than saying he doesn't care about him playing too many games.

It is laughable (almost to the point of absurdity) that so many people here simply assume that him saying the former means that he believes the latter.

What is far, far more likely is that he knows something more about the situation that leads to his lack of worry.
This could simply be that he expects QH not to sign for another week or so after his NCAA season ends, or that he expects him to practice with the team for a week before playing, thus leaving fewer NHL games for him to play, or maybe that a schedule wherein QH sits for various games has already been cooked up. Or that one of the million other simple workarounds has been concocted.
Or even... gasp! That he views the possibility of losing a player as less relevant than the possibility of having QH on the team.

Take care not to spew the "our GM is a moron" rhetoric into such hyperbole. It belongs to a category of argument that only works in moderation.

You are correct in pointing out that him saying one thing does not mean the other, but the amount of bungling we’ve seen from this management group tells us that it’s certainly a possibility they just play Hughes 10+ games and he becomes eligible in the expansion draft.

Really, would anyone here be surprised if that were to happen? I think it’s pretty likely.

bobbyb2009

Sep 3, 2009
To my knowledge, expansion draft status follows the "professional experience" requirements for Restricted Free Agency rather than ELC slide requirements. That's how it was reported by most outlets.

If that is the case, Hughes would need 10 games with the Canucks and/or Comets on a standard player contract (as opposed to amateur tryout contract) to qualify for a year of professional experience.

That would explain it.... Thanks

DownGoesMcDavid

Apr 17, 2017
Michigan with a big upset win over rival Ohio State and Hughes has a massive game w 1g and 1A and not one single highlight on the this thread.

So disappointing.

Guess it's up to me

Reactions: LordBacon

mathonwy

Positively #toxic
Jan 21, 2008
Petey has a shot. Boeser has a shot. Hughes (potentially) has a shot.

Shots shots shots... Bieksa would be proud.

Reactions: TheCerebral1

DownGoesMcDavid

Apr 17, 2017
I wouldnt be so quick in counting out Michigan flaming out early this season.

They play well as a unit and have a game breaker like Hughes.

They outplayed and outworked #6 Ohio State in the win tonight.

Anything can happen

CloutierForVezina

May 13, 2009
Edmonton, Alberta
In his D+1 year Hughes has seen about a ~50% increase to his already impressive draft year scoring pace. This is exactly the type of progression you hope to see out of blue chip prospects for them to eventually become impact NHLers.

Super excited to see him this year, completely on board with playing him 9 games this year. Give him a taste of NHL experience so he knows what he needs to work on this summer, but keep him auto protected for the next expansion draft. Hopefully Michigan goes far enough that we don't bungle it up and play him more than 10 games.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille