Prospect Info: Quinn Hughes, Pt. IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

member 290103

It's funny.........seems like people are pumping the brakes a bit on Hughes since the WJC.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Good. The generational talk was pure cringe.
Why? You don’t want our guys to be great? If Hughes shows he’s like Pettersson, isn’t that what (we Canuck fans) want?
I see Hughes as having the skill set, compete, and hockey Q to be a fabulous player, who leads our team’s D for a decade. Why would that belief make another Canuck’s fan cringe?

Grantham

Mar 28, 2017
Why? You don’t want our guys to be great? If Hughes shows he’s like Pettersson, isn’t that what (we Canuck fans) want?
I see Hughes as having the skill set, compete, and hockey Q to be a fabulous player, who leads our team’s D for a decade. Why would that belief make another Canuck’s fan cringe?
Because it was a gross misuse of the term Generational

Reactions: Robongo01

Hodgy

Feb 23, 2012

Pouliot will be generational.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Quinn Hughes is a classic example of a kid staying too long in amateur hockey. Clearly he was ready for the NHL when he was drafted, particularly given the dismal state of the Canucks blueline.

But the Canucks and possibly Hughes agent figured going back to Michigan and playing a key role in the WJC would be better for his development. They worried what impact that train-wreck Canuck blueline might have on his confidence.

But obviously the season in Michigan hasn't turned out like they'd hoped. He's trying to do too much and some bad habits might have crept in--a common problem for a talented player who's outgrown the league he's in.

You could see this with McDavid in his last season in Erie. He looked dis-interested at times. And getting shut down by Cole Cassels in the OHL playoffs should have been a clue.

Rumor was the Canucks wanted to sign Hughes after the WJC, but didn't want to leave Michigan in the lurch. So mid-March is the earliest arrival.

Saying a 5’9 160 lb defender who has defensive issues and struggled to generate offence against kids at the WJC was ‘clearly ready for the NHL’ might be a bit of a stretch.

Billy Kvcmu

Dec 5, 2014
West Vancouver
Saying a 5’9 160 lb defender who has defensive issues and struggled to generate offence against kids at the WJC was ‘clearly ready for the NHL’ might be a bit of a stretch.
Why are you still putting so much value in a 2 weeks junior tournament when he’s having a good season in NCAA.
For every Virtanen, there are a lot more Horvat/Boeser

Reactions: Bertuzzzi44

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland
Not speaking for ms but I think that there are still questions with Hughes and I think he might have a tough time transitioning to the NHL. Saying he is clearly NHL ready is a claim I don’t necessarily agree with. The McDavid comparison is just silly (I understand it wasn’t a direct comparison) but McDavid getting shut down wasn’t because he was disinterested. Oshawa just put on a full team effort to shut him down and did it to perfection (at home anyway).

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Sounds like the 6’2 160 lb forward who also had a lackluster WJC but ended up winning the Calder

Except for the part where Pettersson was absolutely destroying a men’s league.

And except for being a skinny forward is not the same thing as being the tiniest defender in the NHL.

And except for defensive issues are a bit of a thing when we’re talking about a defender.

________

I expected Pettersson would step in as an impact player (although not quite at the level he has) and thought he could have played a season before he did. Same for Boeser. I do not get that feeling on Hughes.

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
5’9 on skates maybe

Until we have official confirmation otherwise, he’s 5’10” and 170 lbs. Visually, he doesn’t look all that different from his brother Jack.

I’m positive on Hughes, but I expect problems in his transition. He is not even close to being as polished defensively as Pettersson had been. His position is also more taxing defensively, obviously. It will be a hard go for him to start.

That said, he’s a very smart player. It may be that he acclimates quicker to pro hockey due to the abudance of other smart players? Looking forward to finding out.

JT Milker

Mar 24, 2018
Why are you still putting so much value in a 2 weeks junior tournament when he’s having a good season in NCAA.
For every Virtanen, there are a lot more Horvat/Boeser

Because he has always had problems with Hughes. No offence ofc, but the bias is obvious.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Because he has always had problems with Hughes. No offence ofc, but the bias is obvious.

Having concerns you document about a player is not ‘bias’.

Hughes - more than maybe any player I’ve ever seen - plays a game that is tailor-made for 4-minute YouTube compilations and Twitter highlights. He does one thing exceedingly well and looks great doing it.

He’s also going to be the smallest defender in the NHL at a position where size does matter (a bit, still) and is bleeding goals in the NCAA.

I’ve said this a few times, but I’m flabbergasted at the level of angst about Pettersson’s weight when he was a forward destroying a men’s league versus the total confidence that this 160 lb pipsqueak struggling defensively in college will step into the NHL as an impact player.

I think he’ll be a good player eventually in the Krug/Barrie mold. But I think some of the hype isn’t grounded in reality.

Andy Dufresne

Jun 17, 2009
Why keep referencing his weight from 2 years ago. We get it- he's very small, but it's pretty unlikely he still weighs 160. Speaking of nhl d-men his size, some have mentioned Barrie, but the Avs actually do have a 5'10- 160 d-man (it's not Barrie).: Samuel Girard Stats, Profile, Bio, Analysis and More | Colorado Avalanche | The Sports Forecaster

His size defensively is a legit concern. A bigger concern to me, is whether his style will actually work against nhl forecheckers. If it does, I doubt piss poor defensive play will keep him off the ice. We already see guys like that nightly, some who have virtually no offence to add either.

I think we can all agree he's a very unique player, even compared to other d-men his size. Sometimes that's a great thing....sometimes it just means there's a reason no other nhl guys play like that.

iceburg

Don't ask why
Aug 31, 2003
Hughes will need to be transitioned into the league gradually. It will take time for him to learn to play against the bigger, faster players. I actually get a little nervous when I think about him working in the corners in the defensive zone where I expect he will get swatted away rather easily. He will have to depend exclusively on stick work and puck movement. And, after adjusting, I suspect he will do just fine - never to be a defensive stalwart.
His skating and offensive instincts, however, are just sooo tantalizing. The Canucks have never had a defense prospect with such upside potential like this. This at least partially answers the "why is there so much hype" question. The team has been searching for a PP-QB for years and they may have an elite one in the system.

Bertuzzzi44

Jun 26, 2018
IMO Quinn Hughes is ready for the NHL and size shouldn’t be an issue. For example: Brad Marchand is 5’9 179 lbs, Quinn is 5’9 170 lbs (Jack Hughes is listed at 5’10 165 lbs), and Pettersson is 6’2 170 pounds. Pettersson is a lot more frail considering his height to weight ratio, whereas Quinn has a lower centre of gravity and is thicker, which should result in better lower body strength and much greater balance. When looking at all aspects of skating: acceleration, braking, speed, agility, edge work, pivots, lateral movement he is considered by many to be the best skater in all of hockey. He is NHL ready; currently trying to do too much in a league he is superior in, which could cause bad habits to creep in to his game.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad