Prospect Info: Quinn Hughes, Pt. IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

vanarchy

May 3, 2013
For the record, I don’t advise/recommend that the Canucks implement the idea that I’m about to suggest below, but I’m wondering if the following is a possibility?

1) Quinn Hughes plays at the end of this season as burns a year off his ELC: The Canucks bring Hughes to the big club this year for the sole purpose of assessing where he is at in his development.......which leads me to point #2.

2) IF the Canucks feel that Hughes is *already* a top pairing NHL guy that can log big minutes, then perhaps they will let Alex Edler WALK at seasons end.........and use that freed up cap space to go after a UFA forward (i.e. Michael Ferland, Matt Duchene, etc.).
Lose a veteran dman, replace him with a rookie and add a forward ala Michael Ferland?

source.gif

Reactions: Hindustan Smyl

Luck 6

\\_______
Oct 17, 2008
Vancouver
My guess what happens is Edler gets resigned, Hughes replace Hutton on the second pairing and Hutton gets traded. A 25 year second pairing defensemen that is on pace to get 25 to 30 points should be worth a second line winger In that age range.

I think Hughes can come in and put up 35 to 45 points. He will replace Edler on the 1st unit. Edler had that spot since 2010/2011. It's good to have a change.

I don’t think we should be trading any decent defensemen, period. We need to bring back Edler and get Hughes in. I’d even sign a RH UFA if at all possible.

Edler-Tanev
Hughes-Myers
Hutton-Gudbranson
Stecher, ???

Something like that looks at least decent, especially if a guy like Juolevi can be called up.

Reactions: mathonwy

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
I don’t think we should be trading any decent defensemen, period. We need to bring back Edler and get Hughes in. I’d even sign a RH UFA if at all possible.

Edler-Tanev
Hughes-Myers
Hutton-Gudbranson
Stecher, ???

Something like that looks at least decent, especially if a guy like Juolevi can be called up.
It wouldn't surprise me if Benning made a pitch for Myers...(If I'm not mistaken, Benning was the DOS in Buffalo when Myers was drafted..so there is a history).

JT Milker

Mar 24, 2018
Gudbranson would have to be on the first plane out if we signed Myers (or just in general but I digress)

ginner classic

Dammit Jim!
Mar 4, 2002
Douglas Park
Even if Hughes looks amazing in the 10ish games he plays at the end of the season, the sample size is way too small to simply walk away from Edler.

Even if Edler is already traded by then and Hughes looks able to replace him, this team would need to sign another quality LHD because Juolevi is a write off at this point due to his 2 major surgeries

While I am generally a fan of trading away every vetern with any value, I am not sure I'd trade Edler at this point. Same reasons as Hutton...Juolevi has not shown the ability to win a spot and Pouliot sucks. Edler, Hutton and Hughes should be our left D coming out of training camp next season. Juolevi in the AHL and maybe Brisebois as the spare D along with Biega.

Tanev would be worth trading if we could get a legit RD propect like Foote, Brook, Liljegren, Fabbro or Dobson.

Billy Kvcmu

Dec 5, 2014
West Vancouver
My guess what happens is Edler gets resigned, Hughes replace Hutton on the second pairing and Hutton gets traded. A 25 year second pairing defensemen that is on pace to get 25 to 30 points should be worth a second line winger In that age range.

I think Hughes can come in and put up 35 to 45 points. He will replace Edler on the 1st unit. Edler had that spot since 2010/2011. It's good to have a change.
That a bad guess
Hutton has been getting a tons of ice from Green, he’s not going anywhere

bbud

Sep 10, 2008
BC
Edler - Karlsson/Petriangelo
Hughes - Tanev
Hutton - Stetcher
Biega

We're basically one big piece away from having a solid D corps.

Like half the league lol.
Hughes looks to be that offensive d man that can do most of that key may be a partner that can compliment his game one who will cover the d side with some size to handle the net in his own zone that may be enough .

GetFocht

Indestructible
Jun 11, 2013
Hughes - Tanev
Hutton - Stetcher
Biega

This would basically change the entire complexion of the defence, Canucks would be going from a dump and chase defence to a puck possession defence that will create offence.

Subban might be another target that is available this off-season and Benning has already tried once to get him. I would trade 1 first round draft pick, roster player, and a prospect for him. I do think it will be very tough to get Karlsson and would likely want to play in Cali or the East.

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
While I am generally a fan of trading away every vetern with any value, I am not sure I'd trade Edler at this point. Same reasons as Hutton...Juolevi has not shown the ability to win a spot and Pouliot sucks. Edler, Hutton and Hughes should be our left D coming out of training camp next season. Juolevi in the AHL and maybe Brisebois as the spare D along with Biega.

Tanev would be worth trading if we could get a legit RD propect like Foote, Brook, Liljegren, Fabbro or Dobson.
Thats a good post and idea of what to do

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
Beijing
Hughes - Tanev
Hutton - Stetcher
Biega

I like this post a lot.

To be honest, I would not go after ANY unrestricted free agents this summer. Play the waiting game in terms of how the Canucks look with Hughes in the line-up.

1) If Hughes is still developing and is a 2nd pairing calibre dman (or slightly below) during 2019-2020, and the Canucks are the same/slightly better than they are now (bubble playoff team / 1st round loss in convincing fashion) then I think the emphasis should be on

A) Saving Money
B) Re-upping RFA’s
C) Making cost effective minor signings to help the team.

However......

2) Hughes comes in and is Pettersson 2.0 on defense, and the Canucks either make the 2nd round of the playoffs or REALLY push a top seed to the brink in a first round loss, then I think.....

A) Go after a high ticket item like Alex Pietrangelo and take advantage of the fact that Boeser and Pettersson are on ELC’s.
B) Package the 2021 1st round pick with some heavy contracts (Sutter/Eriksson type guys) to a rebuilding team so that the Canucks can clear massive cap space for the future (so they can afford a high ticket like Pietrangelo while being able to reup Pettersson and Hughes).

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
Beijing
This would basically change the entire complexion of the defence, Canucks would be going from a dump and chase defence to a puck possession defence that will create offence.

Subban might be another target that is available this off-season and Benning has already tried once to get him. I would trade 1 first round draft pick, roster player, and a prospect for him. I do think it will be very tough to get Karlsson and would likely want to play in Cali or the East.

Maybe it’s just me but I dislike the idea of going after guys that will cost more than 9 million per (unless it’s a young generational talent like McDavid or Matthews.....and even then, I personally would be wary).

I think more times than not, going after 9+ million players leads to.....

1) Future cap complications
2) Less chance of having real depth on the team. A team like Vegas for instance, regularly beats up on most teams with superior top end talent but less depth. All of Vegas’ players right now have good cap hits.
3) Shortening of the window (related to point #1).

We are seeing some of the problems that Edmonton is having, and we are also getting a glimpse of some of the problems that Toronto will likely have.

Think about the last decade as well. Crosby and Ovechkin have been the Alpha’s of the NHL during this generation, and yet it was the Kings and the Hawks that won all those cups (5 between 2010-2015). Pittsburgh won their cup in 2009 when one of Crosby or Malkin was still on an ELC if I remember correctly.

It wasn’t until Toews, Kane, and Kopitar got 10+ million dollar contracts that Pittsburgh and Washington won those cups AFTER that 5 year period.

Bottom line? I’d steer clear of PK Subban and Erik Karlsson. If you bring any of those guys in at 10+ million, then there’s no way you’re going to get Boeser, Pettersson, or Hughes to take hometown discounts.

Try and sell Boeser on the idea of “buying in” to build a winner. Boeser signs a hometown discount and shows leadership. The Canucks then sign Alex Pietrangelo a year later (will be in the 8-9 million range), and try and get Pettersson and Hughes to “buy in” with future hometown discounts as well.

Ainec

Panetta was not racist
Jun 20, 2009
Erik Karlsson, Waiver wire pickups or Beagle Sutter Gudbranson Schaller

DonnyNucker

Mar 28, 2017
has to do with quoting your defeatist attitude "karlsson wouldn't sign here" yeah no **** not with jimbo in charge

But Gillis is the reason why top UFA players won't sign in Vancouver... oh wait that's not what happened
He won’t sign here because he doesn’t want to play in Canada and he doesn’t want to pay our taxes. Jesus you are immature. Gillis was a decent GM but the guy is a real pr!ck. Such a douche in person. premium UFAs don’t sign here because the Team sucks. Not because our GM is _____

Ainec

Panetta was not racist
Jun 20, 2009
He won’t sign here because he doesn’t want to play in Canada and he doesn’t want to pay our taxes. Jesus you are immature. Gillis was a decent GM but the guy is a real pr!ck. Such a *****e in person. premium UFAs don’t sign here because the Team sucks. Not because our GM is _____

what does that have to do with anything

team sucks because we have a genius as a gm

Karlsson would happily resign in Ottawa if they had a decent owner ??? wtf

DonnyNucker

Mar 28, 2017
what does that have to do with anything

team sucks because we have a genius as a gm

Karlsson would happily resign in Ottawa if they had a decent owner ??? wtf
Nothing really. I just don’t like Gillis. I don’t believe Karlsson would ever sign in OTT regardless of who the owner is. If a top UFA is going to pay our higher cost of living, our taxes and deal with the sh!tty media and fans then it’s to play for a contender. We are years away from being in this position. It’s not a defeatist attitude, it’s realism. In a few years EP may change this

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad