Quietly Backstrom leads the league in playoff scoring

Dr John Carlson

Dec 21, 2011
Nova Scotia
WAS is very smart for splitting up Ovi and Backstrom. Cover one and the other one's line will tear you apart.

They've been on the same line since roughly halfway through Game 1, so we are back to being basically a one line team.

I have to say that I'm shocked Backstrom is playing this well so far, he's usually somewhat disappointing in the playoffs.

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006
3g 3a 6pts 4 games. Play tight on Ovechkin and space is left open for Backstrom.
Capuano says he wants the Backstrom v Tavares matchup. Its not working.

We're 4 games in. The playoff scoring lead is fairly meaningless at this point, except as it relates to the Series he is playing in. It's like talking about the Art Ross when you're two weeks into the regular season.

There are four players who have 5 points, and one of those players is playing his 4th game tonight. Eleven players with 4 points, and six of them have played 3 games. Any one of those players could be leading the scoring race by the time they hit 4 games, and it really wouldn't mean anything, as far as the league playoff scoring goes. It only makes a difference to two teams: The team they play for, and the team they are playing against.

Felix Unger

Aug 2, 2005
Quietly? He's the guy who has the puck all the time. Backstom this, Backstrom that. Geico commercial. Anything but quiet, IMO.

The only thing "quiet" about Backstrom is his wrister. It's so soft you can't hear it coming. You can't even hear it hit the back of the net. Of course with Joel Ward in front, it doesn't have to be hard.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
Quietly? He's the guy who has the puck all the time. Backstom this, Backstrom that. Geico commercial. Anything but quiet, IMO.

The only thing "quiet" about Backstrom is his wrister. It's so soft you can't hear it coming. You can't even hear it hit the back of the net. Of course with Joel Ward in front, it doesn't have to be hard.

The soft wrister has exposed Halak many times in history.

Midnight Judges

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2010
By 1 point after 4 games...

I watched the Ducks/Jets the other night while I was working. Every time I looked up there was another goal scored. The Caps Isles have been relatively low scoring (4.5 GPG vs 6 GPG for Ducks/Jets. Each of Backstrom's points has been big.

HFBS

Noted Troublemaker
Jan 18, 2015
:handclap::cheers::5::hyper::highclap::wave: :towel: :party::pickle::pcheer:
BACKSTROM LEADS THE LEAGUE IN PLAYOFF SCORING
:handclap::cheers::5::hyper::highclap::wave: :towel::party::pickle::pcheer:

Feel better?

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006
I watched the Ducks/Jets the other night while I was working. Every time I looked up there was another goal scored. The Caps Isles have been relatively low scoring (4.5 GPG vs 6 GPG for Ducks/Jets. Each of Backstrom's points has been big.

You might want to check the scores of the Anaheim/Winnipeg series. Every goal is big, which is typical of a playoff series.

By the way, Perry just passed him, which is as meaningless for Perry as it was for Backstrom.

detredWINgs

Jan 1, 2004
Michigan
Visit site
Especially when your #87 :sarcasm:

Especially when your number 87 smiles and puts his finger over his lips as if to exhibit sarcasm? What are you trying to say here? ;)

I'd actually agree with the title. Backstrom is rarely lauded for what he does. He's totally overshadowed by Ovechkin and not rightfully so, IMO.

The Grim Reaper*

Then why hasn't he made an all-star game or maybe get nominated for a Selke for his defensive work? The guy is still criminally underrated, so get off your high horse.

Because he's in the class of "very good", "star" or "super-star", not "elite" or "generational talent". I'd take Crosby, Malkin, Stamkos, Toews, Kopitar, Getzlaf, Tavares and Giroux over him.

I'd even consider taking Bergeron or Sedin over him.

He's top 10.

CaptainAmerica

OV >>>>>> Crosby
May 3, 2010
Charlottesville,VA
Because he's in the class of "very good", "star" or "super-star", not "elite" or "generational talent". I'd take Crosby, Malkin, Stamkos, Toews, Kopitar, Getzlaf, Tavares and Giroux over him.

I'd even consider taking Bergeron or Sedin over him.

He's top 10.

What has any of that have to do with my post? And I don't care about your opinions on other players. I am wondering even if you read my post:help::laugh:

The Grim Reaper*

What has any of that have to do with my post? And I don't care about your opinions on other players. I am wondering even if you read my post:help::laugh:

Then I'll make my post much shorter and concise. He's not good enough to make the all-star game because there are players better than him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad