Value of: Quick to Calgary

East Coast Icestyle

Mar 6, 2015
Nova Scotia, Canada
I bet Kopitar and Doughty would be thrilled to sign such huge deals, and then lose their starting goalie and long time friend. Regardless of how bad their season started.

That said, I can recognize that Quick is a good goalie, but he's a fair bit older than our core, and would cost too much.

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
if there getting quick yes they do :) i don't think your cap can handle 2 goalies at around 11 million
Yes they can. The Flames would only be taking on about 1/4 of Quick's cap hit for the year. The have plenty of room for that with IR space.

Moving an expiring contract at the deadline typically doesn't require extra assets either.

KingCanadain1976

Jul 8, 2009
Thunder Bay Ont. Can
Yes they can. The Flames would only be taking on about 1/4 of Quick's cap hit for the year. The have plenty of room for that with IR space.

Moving an expiring contract at the deadline typically doesn't require extra assets either.
if adding quick is ur only move sure but i would think u would want more room to add a forward but no loss to us

Sparky93

Dec 30, 2010
Except he hasn’t been bad though?
He’s picked up, as of late, but he’s still sporting a .902 SV%. So saying he hasn’t been bad is like saying Hiller, Ramo, Elliott, Johnson or even Ortio weren’t bad either. I’d have far more interest in Campbell, than I would Quick.

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
if adding quick is ur only move sure but i would think u would want more room to add a forward but no loss to us
Even with Quick, the Flames have plenty of space. Stone has been on the IR for most of the year. Moving Smith only saves about 1.5 million and the Flames only take on about 1/4 of the cap of whoever they acquire.

The Flames are also not adding Quick. They are likely adding a high level backup, not an aging and high paid starter.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Even with Quick, the Flames have plenty of space. Stone has been on the IR for most of the year. Moving Smith only saves about 1.5 million and the Flames only take on about 1/4 of the cap of whoever they acquire.
We are better off not using LTIR as we will have rookies with bonuses and don't won't an overage to carry over into next year.

KingCanadain1976

Jul 8, 2009
Thunder Bay Ont. Can

The Flames are also not adding Quick. They are likely adding a high level backup, not an aging and high paid starter.
I dont think they would be adding quick either however i was only saying this for the purpose of the idea that hes was being traded there I think ur ignoring the idea that u would most likely try to get another piec plus quick and for that smith would have to go . Also i wasn't so much saying adding smith add another piece as the retaining would add the piece Have a good day

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
Quick quite frankly is much better than Rittich. If Rittich was playing on the Kings this year, his numbers would be far worse than they are. I also think some people are seriously discrediting how good Quick still is. I don’t think there’s another available player that we could add this year that would make a bigger difference to our team.

I’m not confident in Rittich to win a playoff series.

Last edited:

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
Quick quite frankly is much better than Rittich. If Rittich was playing on the Kings year, his numbers would be far worse than they are. I also think some people are seriously discrediting how good Quick still is. I don’t think there’s another available player that we could add this year that would make a bigger difference to our team.

Even if true, the other issue is Quick's long-term contract. There's too much risk there.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
Even if true, the other issue is Quick's long-term contract. There's too much risk there.

We need to sign a goalie after this season anyways though. Maybe LA could retain about a 1 million on the deal. I just feel most comfortable with Rittich playing about 40% of games and Quick should thrive in that role health wise.

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
Quick quite frankly is much better than Rittich. If Rittich was playing on the Kings this year, his numbers would be far worse than they are. I also think some people are seriously discrediting how good Quick still is. I don’t think there’s another available player that we could add this year that would make a bigger difference to our team.

I don't know how you say Quick is that much better than Riitch. Campbell as LA goalie is his 18 games has 2.18 GAA, Quicks is 2.99. It's 2019., Quick, long term would seem to be a poor investment. Jimmy Howard might be the best option...He's a UFA, and looks like he still has good hockey in him.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
I don't know how you say Quick is that much better than Riitch. Campbell as LA goalie is his 18 games has 2.18 GAA, Quicks is 2.99. It's 2019., Quick, long term would seem to be a poor investment. Jimmy Howard might be the best option...He's a UFA, and looks like he still has good hockey in him.

Remember Holtby was brutal last year? Is Price always the clear top goalie in the world? Was Gibson able to stop the slide the Ducks went on this year? Goalies have ups and downs, practically all of them do every year. Quick is heathy now and his play has been very good of late. Howard is not far off from Smith, I want nothing to do with him. Quick on the other hand has essentially won series on his own.

Reactions: Janks and LAKings88

Sparky93

Dec 30, 2010

Care to explain how every other goalie they’ve played this year has a better save percentage this year then?

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
Care to explain how every other goalie they’ve played this year has a better save percentage this year then?

To add to the explanations above, I don’t think anyone is going to deny Quick had a tough stretch this year. But his heath also wasn’t 100%, he’s playing very well now.

Reactions: LAKings88

LAKings88

First round fodder
Dec 4, 2006
here or there
The thing about Quick is that he elevated his game in the playoffs. He is a big game player. He’s proven it.

I get age and injury concerns and the term are issues.

Some goalies can be effective even as they age (Luongo, Broduer, Hasek) and that is somewhat symbiotic with the level of teams they are on.

I want Quick to retire a King but given the state of things and with two younger goalies ready to step in, if LA can get a good return, they can move him.

It will be a heart breaking day for many Kings fans.

Reactions: Johnny Hoxville

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site
Can someone tell me how Calgary can fit Quick's salary into their cap next year while giving significant raises to Tkachuk and Bennett?

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
Can someone tell me how Calgary can fit Quick's salary into their cap next year while giving significant raises to Tkachuk and Bennett?

Well Smith will be off the books. It’s likely that Frolik and Stone get moved in the off-season to.

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site
Well Smith will be off the books. It’s likely that Frolik and Stone get moved in the off-season to.

Smith is a given if Quick is acquired. Frolik will be tough to move at $4.3 million and Stone will not be easy either. But let's assume they are able to move all three. That clears about $12 million. Quick is at almost $6 million which leaves $6 million for raises to Tkachuk and Bennett...that's not enough. Plus you have to find a replacement for Stone and resign Hathaway plus a couple of others. I just don't see it unless they can move Neal as well which is going to be very tough.

Johnnybegood13

Jul 11, 2003
Hard No! Rittich is due a new deal and it won't be for backup money, Quick at $5.8 for another 4 years would be a bad move.

Wingsfan 4 life

Oct 9, 2016
The thing about Quick is that he elevated his game in the playoffs. He is a big game player. He’s proven it.

I get age and injury concerns and the term are issues.

Some goalies can be effective even as they age (Luongo, Broduer, Hasek) and that is somewhat symbiotic with the level of teams they are on.

I wQuj

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad