Value of: Quick to Calgary

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
There’s been lots of talk that Calgary could use another top 9, even a top 6 winger. I don’t deny this and I’d love to add 1 more impact forward up front. Some think we should add a depth piece on the backend, as long as it’s cheap I can also see this.

But to be completely honest, Calgary’s goaltending is a massive question mark and hands down our biggest need. I simply do not trust it and I don’t think the Flames can be considered legit contenders without getting a bonafide stud in goal.

I think Quick fit our needs perfectly. I like that he’s signed longer than this and next season. He’s an elite goalie and he would make Calgary a total power house.

So what would be the cost be: Smith, Mangiapane and a 1st?

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
No comment about the value of the trade but as an Oiler fan I agree with your premise about upgrading goaltending for the flames.

Rittich has looked pretty good most games i have seen him but he's still not totally battle tested and he seems to have learned how to get distracted by things from smith. Smith is totally unreliable for any playoff run.

Quick would be a good option to go after, lots of high end playoff experience.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
There’s been lots of talk that Calgary could use another top 9, even a top 6 winger. I don’t deny this and I’d love to add 1 more impact forward up front. Some think we should add a depth piece on the backend, as long as it’s cheap I can also see this.

But to be completely honest, Calgary’s goaltending is a massive question mark and hands down our biggest need. I simply do not trust it and I don’t think the Flames can be considered legit contenders without getting a bonafide stud in goal.

I think Quick fit our needs perfectly. I like that he’s signed longer than this and next season. He’s an elite goalie and he would make Calgary a total power house.

So what would be the cost be: Smith, Mangiapane and a 1st?
I would do this, but I would prefer to include Kylington rather than the 1st.

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
Please just no. Quick is older and having a really bad year. Plus his cap hit is huge. The Flames need to stop wasting assets on these older goalies. This just reeks of Elliott/Hiller/Smith part 4.

The Flames should go after a goalie with recent success if the first is on the table. They only need a 1b/backup after all.

Reactions: Volica

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site
Please just no. Quick is older and having a really bad year. Plus his cap hit is huge. The Flames need to stop wasting assets on these older goalies. This just reeks of Elliott/Hiller/Smith part 4.

The Flames should go after a goalie with recent success if the first is on the table. They only need a 1b/backup after all.

Well, he's actually not having a really bad year although everything else you say is probably true. My question is how would they fit him under the cap next year when they have to give big raises to Tkachuk and Bennett?

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary

Quick has been really good of late. He has had some injury issues but that’s why it’s great we have Rittich. I’d feel totally comfortable playing Rittich in 35-40% of the remaining games and getting Quick ready for the playoffs.

KingsOfCali25

Start up the Bandwagon!
Feb 21, 2013
Santa Clarita, CA
From an LA fan side of things... No thanks!

To move Quick within the division, it would take a lot more than people are willing to pay.

The 1st is the only thing of value and it's a late pick at the moment. While Smith is a cap dump for this year...I don't want to see him anywhere near LA.

Reactions: Kylo Ren

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
Quick has been really good of late. He has had some injury issues but that’s why it’s great we have Rittich. I’d feel totally comfortable playing Rittich in 35-40% of the remaining games and getting Quick ready for the playoffs.

33 year old with injury issues and a big cap hit for 4 more years?

That contract has the potential to kill the Flames. Hoping Quick rebounds is a massive gamble that the Flames should not take. With the new equipment rules, you simply cannot assume any goalie will rebound. The rules of the game have literally changed. Goalies need to be more mobile and flexible now. Lingering injury issues will kill a career.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
33 year old with injury issues and a big cap hit for 4 more years?

That contract has the potential to kill the Flames. Hoping Quick rebounds is a massive gamble that the Flames should not take. With the new equipment rules, you simply cannot assume any goalie will rebound. The rules of the game have literally changed. Goalies need to be more mobile and flexible now. Lingering injury issues will kill a career.

Except he hasn’t been bad though?

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
From an LA fan side of things... No thanks!

To move Quick within the division, it would take a lot more than people are willing to pay.

The 1st is the only thing of value and it's a late pick at the moment. While Smith is a cap dump for this year...I don't want to see him anywhere near LA.
I don't understand this. Why potentially take less from another team just because of where they are located? It's not like the Kings will be contenders in the next couple years.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Not taking smith and retianing without a major add
The offer is already more than he's worth. The goalie market is not so great that an older goaltender with injury problems in recent years and a higher don't return first round picks.

KingCanadain1976

Jul 8, 2009
Thunder Bay Ont. Can
The offer is already more than he's worth. The goalie market is not so great that an older goaltender with injury problems in recent years and a higher don't return first round picks.
Show me one goalie traded with 2 cups and jenning trophy traded to someone in there division ? that will cost and his injury problems are over stated.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Show me one goalie traded with 2 cups and jenning trophy traded to someone in there division ? that will cost and his injury problems are over stated.
The most recent Cup was 5 years ago. And his injury problems are not overstated, he's literally missed half of the Kings games over the past 3 years.

LAKings88

First round fodder
Dec 4, 2006
here or there
The most recent Cup was 5 years ago. And his injury problems are not overstated, he's literally missed half of the Kings games over the past 3 years.
LOL, guy has won two cups. Why does five years ago mean anything? Dude is money in the playoffs. Vegas didn’t blow them out and that loss wasn’t on Quick.

I don’t think Calgary needs Quick. Rittich seems fine. Columbus seems like the only team I see making a move for Quick, if they are done with Bobrovsky.

Reactions: KingCanadain1976

KingsOfCali25

Start up the Bandwagon!
Feb 21, 2013
Santa Clarita, CA
I don't understand this. Why potentially take less from another team just because of where they are located? It's not like the Kings will be contenders in the next couple years.

1) Because Quick is actually a good goalie not like Elliot/Smith/Hiller.
2) Wouldn't want to face Quick that many times.
3) Not going to gift the best goalie Calgary has had since Kipper

Reactions: go4hockey

KingCanadain1976

Jul 8, 2009
Thunder Bay Ont. Can
LOL, guy has won two cups. Why does five years ago mean anything? Dude is money in the playoffs. Vegas didn’t blow them out and that loss wasn’t on Quick.

I don’t think Calgary needs Quick. Rittich seems fine. Columbus seems like the only team I see making a move for Quick, if they are done with Bobrovsky.

It would be 5 years in June let not over state it. He just won a jennings trophy last year. Last 6 year top goalie in nhl in gaa . Playoff last year against vegas gga 1.55 save% .947 career playoff stats 81 games 922 sav% gga 2 23 Better playoff record then anyone flames have had or can get Now his "injury" talk yes he was out this is for a bit but played 64 games last year .

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
Lol no. Give up our first for a declining goalie? Yah, great idea guys! Try developing Rittich properly. Smith is an awful mentor, but we need someone in our system to finally work. Get a 1B type who can play 35 games and we will be good.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad