WJC: Question regarding Marcus Foligno

17Kurri

Apr 10, 2010
I believe Hull wanted to play for Canada but was either cut or not invited to try out for some tournament and instead went to play for the US. I think his first choice was to play for Canada.

Yah, pretty much.

He started playing for US teams because could not get invite to Canadian teams. And by the time his talent actually began to emerge enough the get the attention of Canadian national teams, he was committed to the US. US took a gamble on Hull and it ended up paying off.

Hull is Canadian born and bred, but due to his mother being American born, he was eligible to play for the US. Funny thing is, iirc, that Hull's mother has lived in Canada most of her adult life.

saillias

Sep 6, 2004
Calgary
Robyn Regehr's parents were missionaries. He was born in Brazil of all places, his brother in Indonesia. He is a Saskatchewan kid. He is definitely not a Brazilian in any way shape or form... Just happened to be his birthplace and makes for an interesting conversation

My point is I guess, the Foligno kids are only American in official citizenship.

Kitsune

Feb 20, 2003
Toronto ON CA
www.glidingeagle.com
Getting into the NDTP probably had a lot to do with it, that's a hell of a program and if you're serious about going to college (which Nick may have been at a time, I'm not sure) it's a great route to go.

Playing for Canada is not exactly a trivial thing.

Yes... Nick was going to college. The Wolves drafted him in the late rounds, and then hired his father to be GM/Coach of the team. Mike then got his son to come over to the O, but I believe once you get accepted to the NDTP, they make you commit to the USA team for life. Its likely why mom foligno requested Marcus play for Canada... she didnt want to lose another one to the americans. Also Nick was born in Buffalo, Marcus in Sudbury.

MayDay

Oct 21, 2005
Pleasantville, NY
Canada has four players that were born in the USA and are therefore American citizens.

Marcus Foligno - birthplace: Buffalo, NY
Sean Couturier - birthplace: Phoenix, AZ
Curtis Hamilton - birthplace: Tacoma, WA
Dylan Olsen - birthplace: Salt Lake City, UT

Ward Cornell

Dec 22, 2007
he is of canadian parents and grew up in sudbury.

a better question is why his brother plays for the US.

During the 50-50 draws they have a hockey official or a NHL hockey player make the draw and announce the numbers and show them on the video board.
During the draw at the Canada Sweden game the player was Nic Foligno.
Even though Nic played for the USA at the WJHC he was fully dressed in Team Canada swag.

DamonDRW

Dec 23, 2007
Tampere, Finland
His mother, who recently died of breast cancer, asked him to play for Canada. Did it for her.

until now I was thinking hockey is religion in Canada. Looks like it is a bit more important :) It is now understandable why you can't take any loss with some class. Just like Brazilians in football. And just like USSR in hockey back in 60s, 70s and 80s.

PS I'm serious.

sparxx87

Don Quixote
Jan 5, 2010
Toronto
Canada has four players that were born in the USA and are therefore American citizens.

Marcus Foligno - birthplace: Buffalo, NY
Sean Couturier - birthplace: Phoenix, AZ
Curtis Hamilton - birthplace: Tacoma, WA
Dylan Olsen - birthplace: Salt Lake City, UT

What about half of last years team that was only in the USA because their NHL playing father was playing for an American franchise.

Its not where your born, its where your raised and call home.

All 4 players were born in the states but grew up playing minor hockey in Canada, making them Canadian hockey players, regardless of origin.

FanHabtic*

I believe Hull wanted to play for Canada but was either cut or not invited to try out for some tournament and instead went to play for the US. I think his first choice was to play for Canada.

Dave King didn't invite Hull to the 1986 World Championships in Moscow. Hull felt sleighted and chose to play for Team USA and quickly got his US citizenship in time for the tournament.

MayDay

Oct 21, 2005
Pleasantville, NY
What about half of last years team that was only in the USA because their NHL playing father was playing for an American franchise.

Its not where your born, its where your raised and call home.

All 4 players were born in the states but grew up playing minor hockey in Canada, making them Canadian hockey players, regardless of origin.

According to a poster on another forum I visited. Take it for what it's worth.

I know Dylan [Olsen] pretty well. His dad (Coach Oly) still lives here in SLC. Oly taught my son how to skate (he plays AAA U16 and hopefully we'll get see him on Junior team next season). Dylan didn't even move to Canada (to live with his Aunt) until he was a Junior. I think its kinda crazy that he is on the CA team. He was born here in the US, goes to school in Minnesota, but yet he is on the CA team?

sparxx87

Don Quixote
Jan 5, 2010
Toronto
According to a poster on another forum I visited. Take it for what it's worth.

I`m not saying thats not accurate, but it happens all the time.......usually the other way around.

Canada doesn`t whine about Paul Stastny who was born in Quebec but plays for USA......or even guys like Zach Parise who were born in the states to Canadian parents who were there for the sole purpose of hockey.

Look through history and see how many players Canada lost to the States vs. how many left the States for Canada......After Americans see some of that, I bet they dont bring up this matter anymore....because one of the two wins by a landslide.

MsMeow

Nov 4, 2005
I think it's cool that Marcus Foligno chose Canada. He may never make the NHL and has very little chance of making a Canadian elite team (world Championships or Olympics) and could have chosen to play for the US so he'd have a better shot at playing in those tourneys.

MayDay

Oct 21, 2005
Pleasantville, NY
Look through history and see how many players Canada lost to the States vs. how many left the States for Canada......After Americans see some of that, I bet they dont bring up this matter anymore....because one of the two wins by a landslide.

As far as dual-citizens go, it's asinine for either country to whine about "losing" players to the other.

If they are dual-citizens, they are fully citizens of both countries, regardless of their parentage or place of birth. Who are we to tell them which country they should feel more of an attachment to? That's for them to decide.

OttawaRoughRiderFan*

His mom wanted him to play for Canada and she died recently of cancer... so I guess he wants to honor her memory?

That's why... if I remember hearing it correctly on TSN

Good for him!!!

God Bless his heart. Must be awful to lose your mother at such a young age.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Dave King didn't invite Hull to the 1986 World Championships in Moscow. Hull felt sleighted and chose to play for Team USA and quickly got his US citizenship in time for the tournament.

Hull was a U.S. citizen at birth (his mother is American). He didn't have to "get" anything.

OttawaRoughRiderFan*

It's not that big of a list.

It is a mute point. In the future, the line will blur, and players will make their choices. The rest of us will just have to live with it.

In the end it is none of our business (anyway).

Shaun_W_W

Jan 7, 2007
TSN clip about Marcus and his mom. http://watch.tsn.ca/clip396103#clip396103

**** cancer.

That's the saddest thing I've ever seen on tsn, especially if you've ever lost someone or seen someone fight cancer.

It is great Marcus is playing for Canada for the Jrs even though it will pretty much take away any chance he will be able to play for an international team as a man because his chances to make the US team would be much higher.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad