Question About What Defines Success

Halakitlikethat

Oct 10, 2013
British Columbia
Oh, the Sharks VERY easily. Even if we make it all about playoff success, we’re putting a Cup plus two other CF runs against a Final and four CF runs. That doesn’t include the nine other extra playoff berths and a President’s Trophy.

The Cup is of course a huge offsetting factor, but it doesn’t offset that big of a gap unless you put an irrational amount of value on it.
I think this is a good point, even though they won a Stanley cup, it’s hard to watch your team miss the playoffs as many seasons in a row as the canes did afterward . I know this as a blue jays fan, I didn’t even see them play a playoff game between the ages of 5-26.

At least as a sharks fan in that era, you got to see your team play in a ton of meaningful games, which is what makes watching sports so fun.

Reactions: tarheelhockey

Chips

Aug 19, 2015
Fans on HF who’ve almost all never accomplished anything remotely as hard as even making the NHL? Success = “cup or bust”

I would guess most players would consider a great scorer/defensive player who carved out a long career as an impact player successful even if he never won a cup.

eg people kept commenting on the MacK training thread “he doesn’t have the credibility to push his teammates like that”. I’d bet most players think he has plenty of credibility (whether they like that pushing or not) given his work ethic and approach to the game has made him one of the very top players in the league, hardly a small accomplishment for an individual.

McDavid, hell, McDavid AND Drai combined showed one super special player combined with another very special player can’t carry a team in the playoffs

YippieKaey

How you gonna do hockey like that?
Apr 2, 2012
Stockholm Sweden
As a non-North American, I've always found it a bit crazy how little regular season success is counted in North American sports, when sustaining success over a whole season seems just as hard and less luck dependent than winning the playoffs.

Yeah i have the same thought. Obviously ending up as the number 1 team over 82 games played is harder than finishing good enough to get into the playoffs and then winning four best of 7 series.

However i´ll gladly admit that the latter is more entertaining.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad