Question About What Defines Success

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
I'd say winning it all, but when it's an isolated event, like St Louis in 2019, there's a certain 'luck' stigma that goes with it.

As a Leafs fan, I'd be happy with either.

Legionnaire

Help On The Way
Jul 10, 2002
LA-LA Land
Since Rod Langway arrived in 1982 the Capitals have the 2nd best record in the league. Its a shame that they have had so much trouble in the playoffs. A little more success would have been nice. The team before Rod Langway was in danger of moving and was the worst team in the history of the league. Ok...the NJ Devils were worse in that period but they moved twice.

I much prefer the winning team to the losing team

The real question is: How much of the losing and frustration were worth that first Cup?

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
The real question is: How much of the losing and frustration were worth that first Cup?

I think the list of choking for the Capitals was not fully paid off by one cup. A second or even just a 3rd round would be enough. The entire Ovechkin era is something most sports markets dont get to enjoy. One more serious run at it would be helpful.

Reactions: Legionnaire

Finlandia WOAT

js7.4x8fnmcf5070124
May 23, 2010
Carolina is a better hypothetical. 05-17, made the playoffs twice, 10 misses, 1 SC Champ

Sharks 05-17: made the playoffs 11 out of 12, closest was a SCF loss

You have to remember: sandwiched between the Kings 2 Cup wins was a WCF loss to the dynasty Hawks, in what was widely considered the "real" SCF that year. So it's a 3 year run as one of the best teams in hockey, with a team you have to go back to the pre cap era for an equal their true competition

Reactions: Legionnaire

Legionnaire

Help On The Way
Jul 10, 2002
LA-LA Land
I think the list of choking for the Capitals was not fully paid off by one cup. A second or even just a 3rd round would be enough. The entire Ovechkin era is something most sports markets dont get to enjoy. One more serious run at it would be helpful.

That's why '14 was such a blessing. It put "fluke" talk to rest.

I'm not a Caps fan per se, but I more times than not root for you guys because we're like cousins. I hope you (we) get to see Ovy hoist his 2nd. :thumbu:

JAK

Non-registered User
Jul 10, 2010
Had the Sharks made it to more finals, I think it would have been looked at differently.

Maitz

Aug 3, 2006
Montreal
Everything you do in season doesnt matter. PO count thats it thats all. Season doesnt matter, you play to win the cup

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
As a non-North American, I've always found it a bit crazy how little regular season success is counted in North American sports, when sustaining success over a whole season seems just as hard and less luck dependent than winning the playoffs.

Reactions: Ringmaster

Howboutthempanthers

Thread killer.
Sponsor
Sep 11, 2012
Brow. County, Fl.
As a non-North American, I've always found it a bit crazy how little regular season success is counted in North American sports, when sustaining success over a whole season seems just as hard and less luck dependent than winning the playoffs.
I think it's quite simple actually.
When you make the regular season winner the champion, then that will be what everyone plays for.
When the champion is determined some other way, like after a regular season and a playoff, then that would be what everyone would play for. The championship after the regular season and the playoff.

Reactions: Peat

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
I think it's quite simple actually.
When you make the regular season winner the champion, then that will be what everyone plays for.
When the champion is determined some other way, like after a regular season and a playoff, then that would be what everyone would play for. The championship after the regular season and the playoff.

Makes sense, just still weird to me. I guess I'm used to lots of competitions with all of them mattering, maybe some more than others but none of them not mattering.

Reactions: Howboutthempanthers

Maitz

Aug 3, 2006
Montreal
You also have to make it.
So I say it does count.

yes of course but my point is it does matter if you do 115 pts in season or 90 pts and you make it as a wild card. The perfect example is San Jose vs LAK, SJ was a dominant team in season but never won the cup while the LAK made it as the last place in the West and manage to win 2 cups. STL also

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Carolina is a better hypothetical. 05-17, made the playoffs twice, 10 misses, 1 SC Champ

Sharks 05-17: made the playoffs 11 out of 12, closest was a SCF loss

You have to remember: sandwiched between the Kings 2 Cup wins was a WCF loss to the dynasty Hawks, in what was widely considered the "real" SCF that year. So it's a 3 year run as one of the best teams in hockey, with a team you have to go back to the pre cap era for an equal their true competition

I'd definitely prefer the Sharks fan experience through that time period. A Cup isn't worth ten years in the gutter. There is a bit of glory in every win.

cowboy82nd

Feb 19, 2012
Newnan, Georgia
Buffalo went to 4 super bowls and lost them all. Which is more fun? Those Bills teams or the Sabres now?

More fun? Bills ... More heartache? Bills But I would take the Bills being competitive and having a chance to win everything and a team without any hope at all. Sorry Sabre fans.

Rec T

Jun 1, 2007
NKY
Every single year there are 15 teams who were good/successful enough to get into the playoffs. Many of them though aren't good/strong enough to make a deep run. So just 'making the playoffs' shouldn't be a mark of success (and for a team who just barely made it in & was destroyed in the first round, it can actually be a negative. Good enough to make the playoffs...but now they're way down in the draft & aren't developing top talent for their future). The four teams that were good/strong/deep/lucky enough to make it to the conference finals ... they had a successful year.

Winning The Cup is obviously a mark of success (& I'm glad I saw my team skate it lo those many years ago, it makes the recent years more bearable), but without fairly deep playoff runs in the years before & after that win, no they weren't a successful team. They just managed to catch lightning in a bottle at the right time.

So to answer the original question, the Sharks were not as successful as the Kings in the past 15+ years (& Ducks fans just have the happy memory of being the first CA team to earn The Cup...)

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
Stanley_Cup,_2015.jpg

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
Titles always. Period. End of discussion.

the Braves at least won that one WS.

1>0

You should take 9 losing seasons and 1 Titles every day of the week. Titles are very rare

Sad but true.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad