Question about Kindl and Dekeyser

Aug 3, 2010
Flames fan here!

Just wondering what kind of players DeKeyser and Kindl are. I've heard of their names peripherally but they're both young defensemen on a team I don't follow and are no longer in my team's conference so I'm even less informed than usual.

In the Bruins/Wings GDT opening lineup, they played on second pairing together. Can anyone tell me what kind of defence each player tends towards, what you see in their future potential and what kind of player you expect them to be? Can you compare them to each other, and maybe to an established player as well?

I'm really looking forward to your replies. Thanks!

RedWingsNow*

Kindl I think is going to develop into a fairly stead, two way guy who can work the PK and PP. I can see him with a couple 10 goal, 40 point seasons before he's done.
May not happen in Detroit.
Dekeyser I think will be more like a Jason Demers type.
Mobile. Smart. Not flashy. Not very offense.

Jul 30, 2005
I mean, what is location, really
DeKeyser's game basically ends at the opposing blue line. He's capable of getting the puck there with some grace and style, but he isn't going to chip in much past that point. He has very nice mobility for a 6'3/6'4 player, and he's getting bulkier as time goes on. I think his passing has come along as well, and he can hold onto the puck and make a play. He also has good hockey sense and recovers from scrambly-type miscues pretty well.

Kindl, on the other hand, is at home at the offensive blue line—but not so much before that. He's got a big shot with some manner of accuracy and has some nice poise back there. Some other posters here think Kindl is good in his own end, but I'm not so sold. He's pretty inconsistent with his physical play, although he is a big guy with the capability to play a bruising style. I find him to be a bit of a plodding skater with respect to acceleration, and it gets him in trouble at times.

Given that stuff, I think they compliment each other pretty well. I think they've done pretty well together in preseason and early games, although DeKeyser is still prone to some rookie headaches. Of course, it's normal that he would be—this is like NHL game 20 for him or something.

Last edited:

Heaton

Feb 13, 2004
Auburn Hills
I think Kindl might have the tools to be a PPQB, maybe eclipse 40pts as a career high, but I think if he's going to do it it'll be in the next 2-3 years. I think guys like Kindl and Smith would be better if they had another guy in the defense core to help Ericsson and Kronwall.

Sadekuuro

Aug 23, 2005
Cascadia
Kindl is one of those guys that plays better the bigger his role is. We wasted years of his development with him on Babcock's "one mistake and you're in the pressbox" leash. He's pretty good with the puck. Walks the line really well, so we're hoping to make a good PP defenseman out of him eventually.

DeKeyser still doesn't have many games on his résumé, but he's smart and good positionally. Solid in his own zone already. Poised. Doesn't attempt much offense.

Kronwalled55

Detroit vs. Everybody
Jan 7, 2011
Atlanta, GA
I like Kindl, but there is no way he is ever going to hit 40 points. He's not aggressive enough offensively, and he isn't exactly a power play QB either. MAYBE 30 points. You have to figure, Kronwall is a 40 point defenseman, and was already hitting 25-30 points a season at Kindl's age. Jakub has yet to eclipse 15 points.

Heaton

Feb 13, 2004
Auburn Hills
I like Kindl, but there is no way he is ever going to hit 40 points. He's not aggressive enough offensively, and he isn't exactly a power play QB either. MAYBE 30 points. You have to figure, Kronwall is a 40 point defenseman, and was already hitting 25-30 points a season at Kindl's age. Jakub has yet to eclipse 15 points.

And Kronwall creates a lot more offensive chances than Kindl now and even back then. I still think 40pts is possible, but the PP has to be working.

JPE123

Jan 23, 2013
I view Dekeyser as very mature for a guy with approx 20 games under his belt. Doesn't overplay his game, good position always and a real stay at home dman.

Kindl has a little offensive flare and a real decent shot on PP. I think both can be pleasant surprise for us this year and they compliment each other well.

jaster

Take me off ignore, please.
Jun 8, 2007
DeKeyser's game basically ends at the opposing blue line. He's capable of getting the puck there with some grace and style, but he isn't going to chip in much past that point. He has very nice mobility for a 6'3/6'4 player, and he's getting bulkier as time goes on. I think his passing has come along as well, and he can hold onto the puck and make a play. He also has good hockey sense and recovers from scrambly-type miscues pretty well.

Kindl, on the other hand, is at home at the offensive blue line—but not so much before that. He's got a big shot with some manner of accuracy and has some nice poise back there. Some other posters here think Kindl is good in his own end, but I'm not so sold. He's pretty inconsistent with his physical play, although he is a big guy with the capability to play a bruising style. I find him to be a bit of a plodding skater with respect to acceleration, and it gets him in trouble at times.

Given that stuff, I think they compliment each other pretty well. I think they've done pretty well together in preseason and early games, although DeKeyser is still prone to some rookie headaches. Of course, it's normal that he would be—this is like NHL game 20 for him or something.

Yeah, I think this is pretty spot-on. Kindl is still pretty shaky in his own end, but he has gotten better over time, so credit to him for that.

I don't see him ever getting 40 points though. He just isn't dynamic enough, offensively, even on the PP. Someone mentioned 30+ points, and that's what I see as his ceiling.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
And Kronwall creates a lot more offensive chances than Kindl now and even back then. I still think 40pts is possible, but the PP has to be working.

And he'll have to get on the 1st unit, because unit 2...

5DFm53I.gif

Aug 3, 2010
Thanks for the insight everybody! It's always great to learn about unfamiliar names.

RedWingsNow*

I don;t think Kindl is getting enough credit for his defensive play.... which is pretty steady. He's got pretty good awareness, good size and strength, and while not exactly a beast, he's willing to use it more and more each year.
He's also a good shot blocker, which tells you something about his positioning.

I've had two major criticisms of Kindl over the years.
1) Too soft. On this charge, he's improved dramatically.
2) Handles the puck like a grenade in transition. Showing improvement with confidence.

At this point, I'm willing to give him passing grades on his two weakest areas.

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009
Main thing I dislike about Kindl are his passing choices on the PP trying to gain entry. He'll carry the puck to center ice, realize he's not Datsyuk, and try a short pass to someone who also doesn't have a good entry option.

Other than that he's a good enough defenseman. Makes some stupid defensive plays but they all do. Kronwall with that absolutely ridiculous turnover last game. Smith/Quincey are good for a couple a game as well. To single Kindl out for that is inconsistent.

Boomhower

Aug 23, 2003
Ontario
Visit site
Dekeyser reminds me a lot of Scott Hannan.
Mainly a steady defense first guy, who isn't a great skater or overly physical. Smart and reliable with puck, good positionally.

Kindl is generally considered an offense first defenseman, but has failed to meet those expectations. He is slow and too deliberate with the puck. In his own end he is less than stellar. Afraid to get hit and makes risky breakout passes. Comparable to Anton Stralman.

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
DeKeyser is good in all zones and all aspects of the game and has solid upside.

Kindl is bad in his own zone, can contribute on the PP and has little upside.

That right there just about sums it up.

Heaton

Feb 13, 2004
Auburn Hills
DeKeyser is good in all zones and all aspects of the game and has solid upside.

Kindl is bad in his own zone, can contribute on the PP and has little upside.

That right there just about sums it up.

We don't really even know that yet. Unless I somehow missed something, in 177.19 minutes of power play time over his entire career he has 4 power play points. Granted he's averaging less than a 1:50 PP time a game over his career, but I don't think anyone has any real substance to go off of yet. Besides that he can 'walk the line' and 'get shots through'. It's not all Kindl, but we've seen kids like Krug who have real offensive chops make a lot more offense happen by themselves.

Aug 6, 2012
Mainly a steady defense first guy, who isn't a great skater or overly physical. Smart and reliable with puck, good positionally.

Kindl is generally considered an offense first defenseman, but has failed to meet those expectations. He is slow and too deliberate with the puck. In his own end he is less than stellar. Afraid to get hit and makes risky breakout passes. Comparable to Anton Stralman.

DeKeyser's best quality is his skating. He's quicker than Smith though I'd say less agile.

Sadekuuro

Aug 23, 2005
Cascadia
Though he plays a similarly defense-first game, DeKeyser isn't nearly as aggressive or physical as either Seidenberg or Hannan (though one hopes he eventually learns to be).

RedWingsNow*

Kindl isn't slow at all.

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
We don't really even know that yet. Unless I somehow missed something, in 177.19 minutes of power play time over his entire career he has 4 power play points. Granted he's averaging less than a 1:50 PP time a game over his career, but I don't think anyone has any real substance to go off of yet. Besides that he can 'walk the line' and 'get shots through'. It's not all Kindl, but we've seen kids like Krug who have real offensive chops make a lot more offense happen by themselves.

I don't disagree with this at all. Kronner generated 5.36 points per 60 mins last year on the PP as our lone offensive defenseman. Smith blew Kindl away with 3.09 points per 60 mins. That's well above Jakub's 1.69 points with the man advantage.

So I guess I was being charitable in saying Kindl can contribute on the power play. He just might need another 8 years of development to become more of a contributor in the one area where he is supposed to be most skilled.

RedWingsNow*

Krug was playing on Boston's first unit. Not the second unit of lepers (Bertuzzi, Cleary etc)

Kindl looks good on the second unit. But the second unit looks like arse.

If Kindl was playing with the Datsyuk-Zetterberg group, he'd get plenty of PP points.

Heaton

Feb 13, 2004
Auburn Hills
Krug was playing on Boston's first unit. Not the second unit of lepers (Bertuzzi, Cleary etc)

Kindl looks good on the second unit. But the second unit looks like arse.

If Kindl was playing with the Datsyuk-Zetterberg group, he'd get plenty of PP points.

I don't care about just this year, show me something other than 'promise'. All I see are if's with a lot of the guys who haven't shown things.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad