Quebec City getting a franchise ?

Poignant Discussion*

I tell it like it is
Jul 18, 2003
Gatineau, QC
I think you're being overly generous with the 70% figure in regards to Florida. What I wouldn't give to find the actual, bona-fide, God's honest average attendence for their games. I'm talking about the number of bodies in the seats night in and night out. Anyone who's watched one of their games knows that it isn't even close to the announced attendance. As a Penguins fan I was shocked when they played down there. Exciting team coming in, two of the great stars in the league...and an embarrassing dearth of fans at the game.

Quebec isn't selling out the WC's, they didn't sell out the Memorial Cup and they barely ever sold out for the Nords, some people need to wake up and smell the coffee, Quebec with their market is not attractive to any professional sports league

Vic Rattlehead*

Quebec isn't selling out the WC's, they didn't sell out the Memorial Cup and they barely ever sold out for the Nords, some people need to wake up and smell the coffee, Quebec with their market is not attractive to any professional sports league

It's difficult to sell out a 15,399 arena during the middle of a workday.

SOLR

Jun 4, 2006
Toronto / North York

What the hell are you talking about.

1)The Nords while one of the worst team in the NHL never went under 94% attendance.

2) http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Hockey/News/2008/05/13/5554981-cp.html

Although he's been surprised and disappointed by the scattering of empty seats at Canada's games, Nicholson said Hockey Canada chose the afternoon slot so they wouldn't go head-to-head with the Stanley Cup playoffs.

"And if we had to do it again, I don't think we'd do it differently," he said.

"This is only the start. When the first world junior tournament was held in Canada in 1978, the crowds were small but it grew into what it is today."

Average attendance for all games in Halifax and Quebec City has been about 8,300. That figure is particularly impressive in Quebec, where Canada won't play a game unless it makes it to the semifinals as expected.

tiredman

Nov 10, 2003
little update;

bettman was in quebec last friday for the WC and I can confirm you that he met the group QuebecLNH (the group who have plans for an arena) to talk about a possible come back of a nhl franchise in quebec. the mayor of st-augustin was also at the meeting.

also, marcel aubut apparently met pierre pagé, ex-coach of the nordiques, who is working for a red bull hockey club in europe to talk about the possibility for red bull to invest for a nhl franchise in quebec...

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
little update;

bettman was in quebec last friday for the WC and I can confirm you that he met the group QuebecLNH (the group who have plans for an arena) to talk about a possible come back of a nhl franchise in quebec. the mayor of st-augustin was also at the meeting.

also, marcel aubut apparently met pierre pagé, ex-coach of the nordiques, who is working for a red bull hockey club in europe to talk about the possibility for red bull to invest for a nhl franchise in quebec...

Weren't the Nordiques backed by a Beer company as was Montreal, what exactly will Red Bull accomplish that wasn't when the Nords were sold in 1995?

Ted Hoffman

The other Rick Zombo
Dec 15, 2002
Bettman has talked to a lot of people in several cities interested in getting a hockey team, whether by expansion or relocation. The fact that he talked to people in Quebec City means nothing ... unless you think that him talking to people in Hamilton, Winnipeg, Kansas City, Las Vegas, Houston, Seattle, Baltimore, and Charlotte are similarly noteworthy.

tiredman

Nov 10, 2003
Bettman has talked to a lot of people in several cities interested in getting a hockey team, whether by expansion or relocation. The fact that he talked to people in Quebec City means nothing ... unless you think that him talking to people in Hamilton, Winnipeg, Kansas City, Las Vegas, Houston, Seattle, Baltimore, and Charlotte are similarly noteworthy.

Yes. I think that it's a good sign that he talked to a group of Quebec City. If he didn't, that would be a very bad sign IMO. Now, I'm not saying there's a deal and that we'll get a franchise in 2 years; it has nothing to do about that. I think the fact that there was a meeting sends a message that the league is ready to listen what Quebec City has to offer and that we are not forgotten.

Vic Rattlehead*

It's obviously better than not talking to people in Quebec. ;)

SOLR

Jun 4, 2006
Toronto / North York
Yes. I think that it's a good sign that he talked to a group of Quebec City. If he didn't, that would be a very bad sign IMO. Now, I'm not saying there's a deal and that we'll get a franchise in 2 years; it has nothing to do about that. I think the fact that there was a meeting sends a message that the league is ready to listen what Quebec City has to offer and that we are not forgotten.

Do you know when operation tshirt is set to start? Demi-Final or Final?

Timmy

Feb 2, 2005
Do you know when operation tshirt is set to start? Demi-Final or Final?

Apparently they have to find the manufacturers of the tshirts, and then get government funding to purchase them. Having done that, they're looking for some federal sponsorship money in order to get the appropriate wording onto the tshirts.

Nothing's firm yet, of course, but it should be any day now.

SOLR

Jun 4, 2006
Toronto / North York
Apparently they have to find the manufacturers of the tshirts, and then get government funding to purchase them. Having done that, they're looking for some federal sponsorship money in order to get the appropriate wording onto the tshirts.

Nothing's firm yet, of course, but it should be any day now.

From the last quotes I have, the tshirt are financed(100% privately) and produced, I just don't know when it's gonna happen.

Unless you are kiddin' in some ways ? ;)

Ted Hoffman

The other Rick Zombo
Dec 15, 2002
Then it's similarly a good sign for the cities I mentioned above ... correct? In other words, it means nothing until (A) plans for expansion are formally announced, or (B) one of the existing teams announces its intent to look elsewhere.

I can talk to Bettman about a team for Portland, Oregon or Grand Forks, North Dakota or Poplar Bluff, Missouri - but it doesn't mean that any of those cities are getting a team any time soon. The fact that a conversation took place means nothing unless there's action accompanying it - and I don't mean action from the city's POV.

SOLR

Jun 4, 2006
Toronto / North York
Then it's similarly a good sign for the cities I mentioned above ... correct? In other words, it means nothing until (A) plans for expansion are formally announced, or (B) one of the existing teams announces its intent to look elsewhere.

I can talk to Bettman about a team for Portland, Oregon or Grand Forks, North Dakota or Poplar Bluff, Missouri - but it doesn't mean that any of those cities are getting a team any time soon. The fact that a conversation took place means nothing unless there's action accompanying it - and I don't mean action from the city's POV.

I think you are right, but the fact that they are talking is at least a better situation than a simple no-go on a meeting. In the grand scheme of things it's pretty insignificant, but added to the whole picture it might give some hints.

Ted Hoffman

The other Rick Zombo
Dec 15, 2002
So Bettman talked to them - if he had given them the cold shoulder, how quickly would "BWAAH, BETTMAN HATES CANADA!" been posted here? Talking = talking right now ... nothing more, nothing less. It doesn't mean Quebec City is one step closer or further from getting a franchise.

I have no idea what hints anyone is supposed to draw from this, unless "talking" somehow magically means "we're closer to getting a team" - in which case, see my points above about how K.C, Vegas, Hamilton, Winnipeg, etc. etc. etc. have also talked to him ... which implies that they too are closer to getting a team. When you take a step in front of the person next to you, you're not a step ahead if that person also takes a step forward.

SOLR

Jun 4, 2006
Toronto / North York
So Bettman talked to them - if he had given them the cold shoulder, how quickly would "BWAAH, BETTMAN HATES CANADA!" been posted here? Talking = talking right now ... nothing more, nothing less. It doesn't mean Quebec City is one step closer or further from getting a franchise.

I have no idea what hints anyone is supposed to draw from this, unless "talking" somehow magically means "we're closer to getting a team" - in which case, see my points above about how K.C, Vegas, Hamilton, Winnipeg, etc. etc. etc. have also talked to him ... which implies that they too are closer to getting a team. When you take a step in front of the person next to you, you're not a step ahead if that person also takes a step forward.

Your probably not getting all the news from our local medias, but the "global picture" of work toward a new team is pretty loud these days with 3 groups working on it.

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/story/2008/05/16/jim-balsillie.html

Ted Hoffman

The other Rick Zombo
Dec 15, 2002
I don't care if there's 457 groups working on it, it's all talk until either there's a formal plan for expansion or one of the existing franchises announces it's intent to possibly leave its current location. Bettman talking to one of those groups neither increases nor decreases the chances of Quebec City getting another team. If you have a statement along the lines of, "Bettman has guaranteed that we're getting a team in the next 3 years", then you can talk about how Quebec City's chances are in fact better - but if a statement like that existed, I'm sure you would have posted it.

So as I said ... it's talk. Nothing more, nothing less - at the end of the day, nothing has changed.

SOLR

Jun 4, 2006
Toronto / North York
I don't care if there's 457 groups working on it, it's all talk until either there's a formal plan for expansion or one of the existing franchises announces it's intent to possibly leave its current location. Bettman talking to one of those groups neither increases nor decreases the chances of Quebec City getting another team. If you have a statement along the lines of, "Bettman has guaranteed that we're getting a team in the next 3 years", then you can talk about how Quebec City's chances are in fact better - but if a statement like that existed, I'm sure you would have posted it.

So as I said ... it's talk. Nothing more, nothing less - at the end of the day, nothing has changed.

Like I said in a earlier post, you are right. I was just pointing out the simple fact that before Bettman can make such statement there will be many of those meetings. It's part of a *possible* road to such a statement.

Ted Hoffman

The other Rick Zombo
Dec 15, 2002
Again ... if it's "part of a *possible* road to such a statement," then the same can [should] be said for every time Bettman talks to someone from a city interested in an NHL team that currently doesn't have one. The fact that Bettman talked to __________ means that it's complete non-event unless some monumental statement was issued - clearly none was issued here, just like none has been issued every other time Bettman has talked to someone from an interested city.

You read way too much into the fact that the two talked, and still want to believe that it means something special - as if Bettman talking to a group or groups from any other city means squat. If you want to continue to read more into it, fine - but you cannot realistically believe that him talking to X number of cities means significantly more for one of them than it does for everyone else. Feel free to speculate as it fits your needs - I prefer to actually wait for actual proof to show up instead of making up my own assumptions, assuming they're true, presenting them as fact, and then drawing conclusions accordingly.

tiredman

Nov 10, 2003
Balsilie was interviewed today... and he was asked about the possibility to see him investing for a team in Quebec and a new arena. He answered that he's interested into getting a new team for Canada and that Quebec and Winnipeg could also be considered.

So, who knows, if he can't get a team for Hamilton, he might try to get one for Quebec :D

SOLR

Jun 4, 2006
Toronto / North York
Again ... if it's "part of a *possible* road to such a statement," then the same can [should] be said for every time Bettman talks to someone from a city interested in an NHL team that currently doesn't have one. The fact that Bettman talked to __________ means that it's complete non-event unless some monumental statement was issued - clearly none was issued here, just like none has been issued every other time Bettman has talked to someone from an interested city.

You read way too much into the fact that the two talked, and still want to believe that it means something special - as if Bettman talking to a group or groups from any other city means squat. If you want to continue to read more into it, fine - but you cannot realistically believe that him talking to X number of cities means significantly more for one of them than it does for everyone else. Feel free to speculate as it fits your needs - I prefer to actually wait for actual proof to show up instead of making up my own assumptions, assuming they're true, presenting them as fact, and then drawing conclusions accordingly.

Not at all, your reading way to much into what I write. Yes the same could be said about any other cities.

I am not saying theres anything significant going on.

I am saying: If there was anything significant happening it might look like this from the outside.

Last edited:

vivianmb

Jan 10, 2007
winnipeg
www.whocares.ca
i say quebec should get another team after they build a new rink. and the citizens of that beautiful city should not lose hope.
habs/nords may have been the best rivalry i have ever seen.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad