Quebec City getting a franchise ?

tiredman

Nov 10, 2003
With the recent rumours of the nhl increasing his number of teams to 32 in the near future, two cities were mentionned a lot : Kansas City and Las Vegas. However, Quebec City is never (or almost) being talked about as possible market. No arena, not enough people, no corporate support, etc. are always mentionned when someone mentions Quebec City.

However, Quebec City always had a lot of fans and good attendances even in the bad years of the nordiques. Aubut sold the team because a group offered him a lot of $ for it and he couldn't refuse it since no other arena was being planned to be build in a near future in Quebec city. Also, Bettman recently said that Quebec City and Winnipeg could be interesting market to look at.

Now, the good news is that since two weeks, there are very strong rumours about a very rich person (apparently not canadian or american) that wants to build an nhl arena and buy a nhl team for the city. 500 millions are the numbers mentionned. This very rich person, apparently, has Quebec City at the top of his list. Aubut is apparently also involved in the project. 4-5 location are also rumoured to be reserved for the new arena. Apparently, this person is going to visit the city in the next days or weeks.

Now, do you think it is possible that Quebec city will be one of these 2 expansion teams ? I hope so. That would be just great for the city and the NHL.

Source : www.retourlnh.com, www.quebeclnh.com (forums), Choi Radio-X

ATLANTARANGER*

It was a crime that that city lost it's team in the first place. We need more Canadan based teams not less. The NHL needs the Canadian influence in the league. Get rid of that ass bettman and put in a real hockey person.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
No chance. There is no prospective buyer that has surfaced and no plans to build a new arena. If the rumors are true then good, Quebec City deserves a team, but they're still just rumors. There has been no physical face that has shown himself yet.

As a Penguins fan...QC was about the only market that didn't pop up as a possible move throughout all 8 yeasr of the ordeal dating back to 1999. Hartford and Winnipeg were in the hunt at various points, but QC never entered the equation.

Harry22

Mar 28, 2005
Montreal
Though the chances are very slim, the province of Quebec is too big on a fanbase for just one franchise, there is in need for a 2nd franchise in Quebec City because besides Montreal (4 million population) and some other fans here and there in Quebec, the rest of the province arn't big time Habs fans and most of them are ex Nords fans. There is in need for a 2nd franchise in the province of Quebec...

tiredman

Nov 10, 2003
No chance. There is no prospective buyer that has surfaced and no plans to build a new arena. If the rumors are true then good, Quebec City deserves a team, but they're still just rumors. There has been no physical face that has shown himself yet.

As a Penguins fan...QC was about the only market that didn't pop up as a possible move throughout all 8 yeasr of the ordeal dating back to 1999. Hartford and Winnipeg were in the hunt at various points, but QC never entered the equation.

No Smoke Without Fire.

Well, IMO, Quebec city was never really in the discussion because it's a city of francophones. I mean, most francophones fans can't really "promote" the city to the anglos like the jets fans did.

nomorekids

The original, baby
Feb 28, 2003
Nashville, TN
www.twitter.com
I think this is probably the most deserving place of another franchise, but I also think it's by far the least likely. It doesn't have the arena, nor does it have anyone who would be interested in building the arena, paying the franchise fees and all that. A team isn't going to magically show up there because the league feels it's a good idea.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
No Smoke Without Fire.

Well, IMO, Quebec city was never really in the discussion because it's a city of francophones. I mean, most francophones fans can't really "promote" the city to the anglos like the jets fans did.

I'm not talking about people from Quebec promoting their city, I'm talking ownership groups popping up and actually talking about getting the Jets back.

There was never a good owner that popped up, but there were a couple groups that discussed it. The same can't be said for Quebec City.

tiredman

Nov 10, 2003
Though the chances are very slim, the province of Quebec is too big on a fanbase for just one franchise, there is in need for a 2nd franchise in Quebec City because besides Montreal (4 million population) and some other fans here and there in Quebec, the rest of the province arn't big time Habs fans and most of them are ex Nords fans. There is in need for a 2nd franchise in the province of Quebec...

Not really. In montreal, of course, all people are habs fans. But in Quebec city and in the others regions, it's very divided (remember the elections ? ADQ in montreal was seen as absolutely nothing. In the rest of Quebec it was a completely defferent story.). Plus, a team in quebec city would steal many fans to the habs since many people are probably tired of losing with the habs.

Harry22

Mar 28, 2005
Montreal
Not really. In montreal, of course, all people are habs fans. But in Quebec city and in the others regions, it's very divided (remember the elections ? ADQ in montreal was seen as absolutely nothing. In the rest of Quebec it was a completely defferent story.). Plus, a team in quebec city would steal many fans to the habs since many people are probably tired of losing with the habs.

Montreal is completely different from any other cities in Quebec. In Montreal over 500,000 person speak english and 3/4 of the population are biligual. Also, Montreal is a very cosmopolitan city and very different from the other Quebec cities. You are right, besides Montreal, the rest of Quebec is very divided when it comes to the Habs, but Montreal alone has half the population of the province.

tiredman

Nov 10, 2003
I'm not talking about people from Quebec promoting their city, I'm talking ownership groups popping up and actually talking about getting the Jets back.

There was never a good owner that popped up, but there were a couple groups that discussed it. The same can't be said for Quebec City.

Oh there was some group in quebec city that talked about getting back a franchise. I just think they were not talked a lot in the medias (and you would probably never have heard of this in the usa).

For example, Red Bull was often mentionned...

tiredman

Nov 10, 2003
I think this is probably the most deserving place of another franchise, but I also think it's by far the least likely. It doesn't have the arena, nor does it have anyone who would be interested in building the arena, paying the franchise fees and all that. A team isn't going to magically show up there because the league feels it's a good idea.

Not only because the league think it's a good idea. But, did you read my text entirely ? I was talking about very strong rumours that a very rich person (apparently euro) who wants to build an arena and bring a team here.

tiredman

Nov 10, 2003
Montreal is completely different from any other cities in Quebec. In Montreal over 500,000 person speak english and 3/4 of the population are biligual. Also, Montreal is a very cosmopolitan city and very different from the other Quebec cities. You are right, besides Montreal, the rest of Quebec is very divided when it comes to the Habs, but Montreal alone has half the population of the province.

Okay, here's one fact : the habs will have more fans than a team in quebec city would.

Does that mean Ottawa doesn't deserve a team too ? I mean, Toronto is bigger than Ottawa and have more fans.

Harry22

Mar 28, 2005
Montreal
Okay, here's one fact : the habs will have more fans than a team in quebec city would.

Does that mean Ottawa doesn't deserve a team too ? I mean, Toronto is bigger than Ottawa and have more fans.

Did I say Qc DOESN'T deserve a team? I said they should have a team.

nomorekids

The original, baby
Feb 28, 2003
Nashville, TN
www.twitter.com
Not only because the league think it's a good idea. But, did you read my text entirely ? I was talking about very strong rumours that a very rich person (apparently euro) who wants to build an arena and bring a team here.

Okay, let him build his arena, and then we'll talk..because that's what it will take. They are going to have to have an arena READY MADE to even be considered, much like KC has one.

Fan of The Game

Apr 3, 2007
USA
I hope they do get another team. I think that Canada should get atleast 2 or 3 more teams before we go to unproven markets.

Wetcoaster

With the recent rumours of the nhl increasing his number of teams to 32 in the near future, two cities were mentionned a lot : Kansas City and Las Vegas. However, Quebec City is never (or almost) being talked about as possible market. No arena, not enough people, no corporate support, etc. are always mentionned when someone mentions Quebec City.

However, Quebec City always had a lot of fans and good attendances even in the bad years of the nordiques. Aubut sold the team because a group offered him a lot of $ for it and he couldn't refuse it since no other arena was being planned to be build in a near future in Quebec city. Also, Bettman recently said that Quebec City and Winnipeg could be interesting market to look at.
What he actually said was:
We haven't studied Quebec City or Winnipeg or anywhere else in Canada, but the notion that if it could work to put a franchise back in a place where one was lost, feels good -- provided we don't wind up in a situation where we've created a prescription for another failing franchise.

Quebec City??? No for the same negatives as Winnipeg - demographics, population, corprate sector possibilities, no NHL ready arena, no ownership group, etc.

Take a look at the problems Buffalo is experiencing and Quebec City and Winnipeg would be worse. The Sabres are selling out an NHL sized arena but due to lack of a critical mass corporate sector to eat up the premium tickets they are in trouble. Buffalo has a 30% corporate ticket base when the NHL looks for 60%. Joe and Jane Sixpack are not the marketing target for the NHL. Here is owner of the Sabres Tom Golisano's take on the problem facing a small market team with corproate season ticket holder challenges in late may 2007:
"If they [NHL] move the salary cap up and we go with it, there's a good possibility we would lose money unless we reached the second round of the playoffs. That's an unhealthy situation.

"The league has to be careful, a lot of teams lost money last year and I think it'll be significantly more next year if the cap goes up."

Patrick Laforge President of the Oilers sounded a similar warning in February 2007.

If Edmonton and Buffalo are facing problems, how could Quebec City and Winnipeg work?

The NHL BOG will not look at whether emotionally a city "deserves" a team but whether or not economically it makes sense (and that includes "growing the game" in Bettman-speak) Going back to Winnipeg or Quebec City does not meet this test.

tiredman

Nov 10, 2003

Quebec City??? No for the same negatives as Winnipeg - demographics, population, corprate sector possibilities, no NHL ready arena, no ownership group, etc.

Take a look at the problems Buffalo is experiencing and Quebec City and Winnipeg would be worse. The Sabres are selling out an NHL sized arena but due to lack of a critical mass corporate sector to eat up the premium tickets they are in trouble. Buffalo has a 30% corporate ticket base when the NHL looks for 60%. Joe and Jane Sixpack are not the marketing target for the NHL. Here is owner of the Sabres Tom Golisano's take on the problem facing a small market team with corproate season ticket holder challenges in late may 2007:

Patrick Laforge President of the Oilers sounded a similar warning in February 2007.

If Edmonton and Buffalo are facing problems, how could Quebec City and Winnipeg work?

The NHL BOG will not look at whether emotionally a city "deserves" a team but whether or not economically it makes sense (and that includes "growing the game" in Bettman-speak) Going back to Winnipeg or Quebec City does not meet this test.

If that's true that Buffalo loses money unless they reach the 2nd round of the playoffs, then the NHL is really not healthy. That also means that, the coyotes, the predators, the blackhawks, the sabres, the oilers and many other teams are losing a lot of money and that they could lose their team in a few years. Then, the nhl inscreases the salary cap ? That makes no sense unless bettman is insane. I'm really starting to believe the owners are a bunch of liars.

Kesler Kills Kommies

Dec 6, 2004
It was a crime that that city lost it's team in the first place. We need more Canadan based teams not less. The NHL needs the Canadian influence in the league. Get rid of that ass bettman and put in a real hockey person.
yes, i think Yzerman would be ideal for that position!

Wetcoaster

If that's true that Buffalo loses money unless they reach the 2nd round of the playoffs, then the NHL is really not healthy. That also means that, the coyotes, the predators, the blackhawks, the sabres, the oilers and many other teams are losing a lot of money and that they could lose their team in a few years. Then, the nhl inscreases the salary cap ? That makes no sense unless bettman is insane. I'm really starting to believe the owners are a bunch of liars.
The NHLPA gets to see and audit all the financial info from each team now under the CBA.

The salary cap is based on league-wide hockey related revenues not the economic health of any particular franchise.

One of the criticisms of the new CBA was that revenue sharing did not go far enought to level the playing field.

nomorekids

The original, baby
Feb 28, 2003
Nashville, TN
www.twitter.com
What would be Yzerman's qualifications to be CEO of a multi-billion dollar organization?

Because, duh, he would add a bunch of Canadian teams, the league would sink into obscurity akin to the NLL, but hey, at least it would be back in the hands of those that matter the most.

They're right, though. 52 million is a high salary cap...won't it be better when the cap is 13 million?

th3icefalcon

Jun 1, 2007
Orlando
Highly doubt that one of the two new expansion teams will end up in Quebec City. The only time I heard about a team being brought to Quebec, was when Bettman said he would rather have the Predators relocated to a city that lost their team rather than opening up a new market in southern Ontario.

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham

I think Quebec would have tremendous corporate support. Everyone attached to hockey is a big plus for any companies considering it's the number one sport in the province. And I don't how why most companies that already support the Habs would not do the same for the Nordiques. The problem has always been one of political will; Not fans support or corporate support. It's no wonder the former Habs owners had to build an arena from their own pockets. Even the great Habs would never have been able to get an arena with state money. That's a cultural thing over here, people would never support giving money to wealthy organisations, filled with millionaires. It would be political suicide. The only way Quebec could get an arena would be if it's a joint effort from the Federal, Provincial, Municipal and corporate side all making a financial effort to get it built.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->