Olympics: Quarterfinals talk!

ViD

#CBJNeedHugs
Sponsor
Apr 21, 2007
Blue Jackets Area
Not a very inspiring game by the Russians. One PP goal on like 10 attempts in two games against Denmark, almost allowed a shortie.

They can still win gold but only because other teams have average rosters

RetroWinnipeg

Oct 27, 2016
www.youtube.com
Team ROCdonald's punches its ticket to the semifinals.

DaJackal

Aug 3, 2015
Eastern front
I'll say this before Finland plays their QF game: I'm not emotionally invested in this Olympic tournament at all and won't shed a tear if we lose. I'll rather see us winning the Skoda Cup at home this spring, when there will probably be at least some NHL players present. Hard to get excited about a tournament where the contestants are each good nations D-teams (sans Canada it's like a Z team or something, probably ran out of alphabet).

If we somehow end up winning gold, I'll take it, but mostly I'd be happy for Jukka Jalonen.

RetroWinnipeg

Oct 27, 2016
www.youtube.com
I'll say this before Finland plays their QF game: I'm not emotionally invested in this Olympic tournament at all and won't shed a tear if we lose. I'll rather see us winning the Skoda Cup at home this spring, when there will probably be at least some NHL players present. Hard to get excited about a tournament where the contestants are each good nations D-teams (sans Canada it's like a Z team or something, probably ran out of alphabet).

If we somehow end up winning gold, I'll take it, but mostly I'd be happy for Jukka Jalonen.

Reactions: DaJackal

jaloviina

1-2-3 stars!
Dec 24, 2015
Bunch of Jerks Finland

it's no secret that everyone wanted the NHL players (except the owners ofc.) oh well. atleast there will be skoda cup w/ crowd & some NHLrs (hopefully)

canuck2010

Dec 21, 2010
Nah, we were too young.

I knew we were in trouble from half-way through the Canada game when Canada took us over physically. Then we barely beat Germany and now a loss to Slovakia.

The talent was very noticeable, but so was a lack of poise and general physicality.

Im not surprised at all we didn’t medal.

Agree with all you say. I might be a homer but I thought Canada was a better team than the USA. 5 posts and three soft goals allowed certainly was the difference for the USA.

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
Not a very inspiring game by the Russians. One PP goal on like 10 attempts in two games against Denmark, almost allowed a shortie.

Someone like Kuzmenko would have probably been helpful. It's still mostly Gusev to create any offense, but this time he doesn't have Kaprizov... I love Gritsyuk scores points though.

Svedu

Apr 23, 2019
I don´t trust Säteri, I hope I´m wrong. Neither Vatanen, Pokka nor Hietanen.

Slafkovsky, just wow. Congrats Slovakia!

Svedu

Apr 23, 2019
Swiss white jerseys remind me of Panthers white ones, or vice versa.

Jon Riley

May 2, 2015
Oslo
Finland is obviously the better team and are favorite, there is no need to gift them goals leaving people all alone in front of the crease. pretty pathetic effort by Diaz and Muller

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
Someone like Kuzmenko would have probably been helpful. It's still mostly Gusev to create any offense, but this time he doesn't have Kaprizov... I love Gritsyuk scores points though.
Kuzmenko would not help one bit. He can't create. He would be the same kind of meh as those other wingers. And then he is a whiner and a locker room cancer.

Gusev - Gritsyuk was way too obvious from the beginning.

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011

Everybody in this tournaments will win or lose or whatever because of those rosters. Also the late talent drain to NA affects Russia's roster a lot. It's cyclical. A lot will come back soon, but for now it is what it is.

Reactions: jaloviina

FiLe

Mr. Know-It-Nothing
Oct 9, 2009
Just a heads up, guys: the playoff bracket is not fixed - the top-seeded one of the four teams remaining will face the bottom seeded one in the semi. So it'll be FIN-SVK and ROC-SWE/CAN.

Reactions: jaloviina

Mestaruus

Apr 11, 2011
Slovakia's win over USA was not a surprise. Imo they were the slight favorites before the game. It will be a very tough semifinal for Finland. Slovakia will play better than in the first meeting of FIN-SVK and Finland won't score with that high efficiency the next time. So it will be a 1 goal win for Finland if I have to predict.

Sweden will beat Canada. I won't say easily, but it won't be too hard for SWE either. I think that the A group was just the weakest group. I'd love to see Sweden & ROC in the semifinal, instead of CAN & ROC. I think it would be a good match.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad