Olympics: Quarterfinals talk!

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
upload_2022-2-15_9-26-46.png

Canada is up 5-1 so I'll assume it's them against Sweden. Remember a reseed after this so bracket does not matter at all.

10 minute 3 on 3 OT

I'll pick Denmark, Finland, Canada and Slovakia.

Denmark has been doing great all tournament and only has 1 loss where they were down 1-0 before an empty netter. Very frustrating to play against. Russia is obviously the favourite and could win whole thing and be back to back Olympic Gold medalists which I think would be great for them!
Finland because I think they're the best team in the tourney and the awesome Swiss might be tired (maybe).
Canada because I think they make it to the finals and have intangibles (youth, small rinks, good KHL goalie, great coach). Nothing against Sweden who has been great!
Slovakia because I am bias and cheer for them, nothing against US at all - I think going young, fast and with guys that are good on small ice was genius!

BMann

May 18, 2006
Watford
Unless Russia step it up there is every chance they fall flat on their faces. Abysmal selection, coaching and everything else. Finland are the best coached and strongest team here and it shows.

Reactions: Mestaruus

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
And I was just starting to like you. Kidding of course. Yah Slovakia will be tough. Probably see low scoring grinding games from here on in.
Now that I'm out I can make bold picks.lol It'll be a great game. I think it'll be close. Not sure about low scoring though. Has a 4-3 feel to me.

Reactions: SanDogBrewin

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
Unless Russia step it up there is every chance they fall flat on their faces. Abysmal selection, coaching and everything else. Finland are the best coached and strongest team here and it shows.
Russia goes a little slower during round robins and such. They'll probably come alive at the right time! Would be cool to see them get back to back Gold's.

BMann

May 18, 2006
Watford
Russia goes a little slower during round robins and such. They'll probably come alive at the right time! Would be cool to see them get back to back Gold's.

I find it hard to believe this team has the quality or mentality to do so CB. Even if they squeezed past Denmark they'll not beat Finland for example.

I watched the Swiss-Czechia game. Thought Czechia were very disappointing too. Some nice passing although rarely and rarely getting a screen infront of Genoni and just occasionally throwing the puck on net. No one to pick up rebounds barring the chance one of the Zohorna brothers messed up. Cervenka was great a few decent but the rest pretty poor.

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
I find it hard to believe this team has the quality or mentality to do so CB. Even if they squeezed past Denmark they'll not beat Finland for example.

I watched the Swiss-Czechia game. Thought Czechia were very disappointing too. Some nice passing although rarely and rarely getting a screen infront of Genoni and just occasionally throwing the puck on net. No one to pick up rebounds barring the chance one of the Zohorna brothers messed up. Cervenka was great a few decent but the rest pretty poor.
Swiss outskated and outcoached us. THey did great. They played their role perfectly! We took an older and slower team and didn't mix in younger guys. I was fine with Kovar, Cervenka and Krejci but needed some young guys on the team to inject speed! Jasek, Blumel, Chlapik all come to mind. Get them to replace Repik, Sobotka and Lenc and it might look different.

For the Russians... I think the loss to us really pissed them off. I expect them to come out flying! Good in every position and defending champs. Denmark will need to frustrate the hell out of them and now they've scored a bunch of goals so who knows? Russia is obviuosly the fav.

Reactions: BMann

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
Wait, they re-seed the Semis?
correct!

upload_2022-2-15_11-24-27.png

Sorry, Swiss didn't fit in. They are 10th. Highest vs lowest in Semi's.. eg 1-4 and 2-3

Eg. Finland and Russia are both favs and would benefit from a US loss as it would put them in different brackets in semis and not against each other.

Reactions: BMann

BMann

May 18, 2006
Watford
Still enough to beat Denmark

I hope so ViD. Aside from the cross country team and biathletes and the skaters these Russian athletes seem to lack the right mentality at times. No sign of progress post Sochi. Perhaps at Cortina when the youngsters that may have been inspired by 2014 come through as some are now like Sadreev and the speed skaters in the long track.

Do they still have master of sports science and all that in Russian sport ? Coaches had to be well qualified to train athletes now looking at the coaching staff behind the bench it seems a collection of names. Decent players and a great player in Fedorov but coaching record ? Non existent.

AB13

Apr 29, 2019
I predict wins for
USA
Russia
Switzerland
Sweden
A prediction made a bit with the heart, a bit with the head but mostly based on just vibes

karhukissa

Apr 2, 2019
Finland is usually at their best as underdogs, now when they are favourites alongside Russia...i don't like it. But still i'd say:

Finland
Canada
Russia
USA

MoeTheHobo

Jan 24, 2017
Funnily enough I think Finland learned their lessons of a loss after the win against Sweden. Switzerland shouldn't be too much of a problem but you never know.

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
It will be nice to watch some international hockey and not be "worried" - I am more concerned about the (women's) curling at 8 or the dinner I am going to at 5 - I don't want to go!

It would be nice to see one of the lower seeds pull off a miracle and win it all.

Last edited:

Mestaruus

Apr 11, 2011
USA-SVK
SWE
-CAN
FIN-SUI
ROC-DEN (i placed my bets for Denmark, but can't gamble it on HFBoards)

FIN-SVK
ROC-SWE

In the final I don't know who wins.

Reactions: Czechboy

swissdude

May 18, 2019
Switzerland shouldn't be too much of a problem but you never know.
I really hope that's exactly the mindset of finland but I am afraid that they will not do us this favour and we will be confronted with the usual "sisu"

USA-SVK Actually I preferred SVK but since I want USA in SF...
SWE
-CAN
FIN-SUI obviously a biased prediction
ROC-DEN

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad