GDT: Quarterfinal - May 23 - Russia vs USA

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
Russian PBP guys said that had the challenge failed Russia would’ve been given a penalty. I was going to fly to Slovakia and smack Vorobyev on the head. Thankfully they were wrong

TSN broadcast said the same thing.

I know the TSN guys originally thought the challenge was about a possible offsides on the zone entry so I assume the Russian announcers thought the same. Lost challenges for offsides result in a penalty but the other challenges, like goaltender interference in this case, don't. It's been confusing for viewers with the TSN announcers because they're just guessing at the challenge reason but also because they've barely seemed to understand let alone explain the different rules on challenges during the broadcasts.

Last edited:
Reactions: SanDogBrewin

Name Nameless

Don't go more than 10 seconds back on challenges
Apr 12, 2017
As an Arizona-fan, I must admit I wonder how Keller looked in this tourney? Finding back his mojo?

PecnoTrunk

Dec 20, 2014
Wow I really thought that the USA had a legit chance, but I guess they're in the same boat as other countries at the senior level where unlike the u18 and u20 the players don't spend 80% of the time playing together for a prolonged period of time lol

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
Wow I really thought that the USA had a legit chance, but I guess they're in the same boat as other countries at the senior level where unlike the u18 and u20 the players don't spend 80% of the time playing together for a prolonged period of time lol
Cmon creativity, let's not do this.

MRodman

Apr 15, 2019
Sweden and Russia will be blown out every year after this. Finland will have all that young core with huge amount of junior golds. Rantanen, Kakko, Aho, Laine, Barkov, Kapanen, Jokiharju, Heiskanen and so on will be too good with best coaching stuff in the world. Btw. Usa will outsmart Russia today.

Yes, we saw that Einstein...

Sergei DRW

Nov 17, 2010
Overrating of Russia continues. Telegin, Andronov and Khafizullin are world supermegastars.
You and I know that Telegin would be one of the best shut-down grinders in the NHL if he had the desire to go there.
Andronov destroys the opposing centers in the face-off circle - see the Sweden game.

Gold Standard

Sep 7, 2018
In my household the long awaited dream Canada vs USA final is on hold for yet another year. someday it will happen. next year perhaps.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad