GDT: Quarterfinal - May 23 - Canada vs Switzerland

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
Swiss really showed me a whole new look today.. they aren't the 'soccer style' trap team anymore. They can bring some offensive pain and dominate for stretches. They just played 3 very good opponents consecutively and are battle ready. Canada is Canada and always a Gold medal contender. This is going to be insanely close IMO.

I'm picking whoever wins the shootout.lol

PecnoTrunk

Dec 20, 2014
Semi-Finals on 25 May

Note that this is the first IIHF Ice Hockey World Championship where the semi-final pairings will not be determined in classic brackets but according to the seeding after the preliminary round. The top-seeded semi-finalist will play the bottom-seeded semi-finalist at 15:15, and the second-seeded semi-finalist will play the third-seeded semi-finalist at 19:15. Both games as well as the medal games on 26 May will be held in Bratislava.

Seeding order:
1) Russia (1st Group B, 21 points)
2) Canada (1st Group A, 18 points)
3) Czech Republic (2nd Group B, 18 points)
4) Finland (2nd Group A, 16 points)
5) Sweden (3rd Group B, 15 points)
6) Germany (3rd Group B, 15 points)
7) USA (4th Group A, 14 points)
8) Switzerland (4th Group B, 12 points)

What does this Mean?
If Canada and USA win ?
If Canada and Russia win ?

If Canada loses then I don't really care

Reactions: Bobby G

mirec04

Sep 3, 2018
Slovakia
Swiss has to move to Kosice, I think this could be a big factor that Canada will win this. but it will be tough game for them

Khokhlach86

Jul 8, 2012
Moscow
Semi-Finals on 25 May

Note that this is the first IIHF Ice Hockey World Championship where the semi-final pairings will not be determined in classic brackets but according to the seeding after the preliminary round. The top-seeded semi-finalist will play the bottom-seeded semi-finalist at 15:15, and the second-seeded semi-finalist will play the third-seeded semi-finalist at 19:15. Both games as well as the medal games on 26 May will be held in Bratislava.

Seeding order:
1) Russia (1st Group B, 21 points)
2) Canada (1st Group A, 18 points)
3) Czech Republic (2nd Group B, 18 points)
4) Finland (2nd Group A, 16 points)
5) Sweden (3rd Group B, 15 points)
6) Germany (3rd Group B, 15 points)
7) USA (4th Group A, 14 points)
8) Switzerland (4th Group B, 12 points)

What does this Mean?
If Canada and USA win ?
If Canada and Russia win ?

If Canada loses then I don't really care

If Canada and USA win - Canada will play against the USA in the semi-final
If Canada and Russia win - Canada will play in SF against a team with 2nd lowest seeding order, Russia will play in SF against a team with 1st lowest seeding order

If Russia, Canada, Czech and Sweden win, SF will be Russia-Sweden, Canada-Czech

Northofyu

Nov 12, 2018
To be fair, most Team Cda fans like me prob aren't familiar with your non-NHL players.

At same time, not sure you've played against as big and mobile a D as ours. Chabot, Theodore and yes even Nurse move the puck a bit like Josi! :)

With Pierre-Luc Dubois filling our need for a centre, Team Cda is coming together nicely.

If Matt Murray plays well, think we win a close one.

Last edited:

Retroglyphs

Mar 23, 2018
In the end, Team Switzerland rides Team Canada down with 4:2,. Because Niederreiter, you know. :popcorn:

mosare

Dec 19, 2013
The first 2 lines of switzerland are better;). I expect a close match, but the swiss will win 3:2

DrCanuck

May 16, 2019
TSN is reporting that the IIHF is reviewing Mantha's hit on Colin White yesterday. Certainly possible he may have to sit out tomorrow against the Swiss.

torero

Oct 5, 2007
West Sussex
www.scb.ch
Question to the posters : who did see games by both teams ? and what is your view !! your projection ?

to confess : i didn't watch Canada play. I only watched group B !! I suspect that many of us are in the same position !! therefore if someone saw both, his hindsight would be dear. TKS

Nexon

Apr 18, 2019
I think, Canada will win, and I wish I could say the same about Russia vs USA.

Why are you so afraid of USA, they have second best roster here but among all quarterfinalists they also showed the least. They will just end up like most Russian stars teams in the past... lose because of individual effort only, but that’s not Russias case this year, they can play as team.

Speyer

Sep 23, 2016
Im Wald
Canada's lack of top end Skill (compared to other years with the likes of MacDavid, Tavares and Hall on the roster) is nullified by the fact that they are actually giving a shit this year. They have been very consistent with the exception of the Finland game, where they still had to find themselves as a team. I certainly would have prefered the US as an opponent who look more talented at first glance but have quite a few underlying problems. We definitley need to get everything right to win this one and stay out of the penalty box as much as possible. We need also a better PP, Genoni at his best and the Hischier line to do better than the last few games...

Reactions: NinjaKick

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad