GDT: Quarterfinal - May 23 - Canada vs Switzerland

SympathyForTheDevils

Feb 22, 2010
Quebec City
I'm sure of what the standards are, maybe you are new here, you only have 467 posts so there is a possibility you just havent been here long enough to see how it all goes, just a guess on my part but I could be wrong.

They have a load of obnoxious fans too, just look at the thread made today dissing the Stanley Cup playoffs calling it garbage while they say their precious WHC is so much better, that stuff goes both ways.That's the Stanley cup playoffs they are dissing, it's a part of our culture and history here and guys have bled for that, to diss it like that all the time?.....................that's as arrogant and obnoxious as it gets and it's fighting words. There is absolutely no reason to just let them off the hook for that just because they are European fans, I don't see why ours are held to higher standards. If we can be criticized then no reason they can't be.

They get away with loads of bull**** here.

If you went to the effort of looking at my post count, you might as well look up and see that I joined here 6 years before you.

This all seems unnecessarily combative. The Stanley Cup playoffs are the finals of a professional sports league, they are only a part of our history and culture if you take a pretty broad view of the words "history" and "culture" and dissing them is absolutely fine, just like you can diss the SHL playoffs all you like as long as it's within the forum rules. Here, I'll do it: the SHL playoffs suck. Take that, Swedes!

Regardless, I'm sure you would have been very willing to congratulate the winners if it hadn't gone our way. But calling out posters for not congratulating you after a win comes off as petty. That's it. On to the semis!

Reactions: La Bonita

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
If you went to the effort of looking at my post count, you might as well look up and see that I joined here 6 years before you.

This all seems unnecessarily combative. The Stanley Cup playoffs are the finals of a professional sports league, they are only a part of our history and culture if you take a pretty broad view of the words "history" and "culture" and dissing them is absolutely fine, just like you can diss the SHL playoffs all you like as long as it's within the forum rules. Here, I'll do it: the SHL playoffs suck. Take that, Swedes!

Regardless, I'm sure you would have been very willing to congratulate the winners if it hadn't gone our way. But calling out posters for not congratulating you after a win comes off as petty. That's it. On to the semis!
I don't mind if they did not do it if we were not expected to, but of course we are and we always have plenty of fans who do so. I don't see anything petty about pointing that out.

Anyway, this game is over and done with and I don't want to argue about this forever.I am in a tremendous mood, that win was f***ing delicious.

bukwas

Stanley Cup 2022
Sep 27, 2017
Had the game recorded and just watched it. What a crazy ending.
The Swiss are starting to remind me of yesteryear Finland with how their battle level evens the playing field against supposedly superior opponents. Way back in the day they were mainly viewed as an opportunity to run up your stats. How they've closed the gap over that time is certainly something to take pride in.

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
Had the game recorded and just watched it. What a crazy ending.
The Swiss are starting to remind me of yesteryear Finland with how their battle level evens the playing field against supposedly superior opponents. Way back in the day they were mainly viewed as an opportunity to run up your stats. How they've closed the gap over that time is certainly something to take pride in.
It's not just their battle level these days, they just have real good players now, better then they have ever had.

Reactions: BruinLVGA

FastEddie

Feb 22, 2019
There's just not a lot to be mad about as a Canada fan. We've won most best on best tournaments this decade, pretty much. It breeds haters. It especially breeds haters when so many players decline to attend a tournament like this, and the team is still good. It comes with the territory. I actually think these salty Euros and how on HF they seem to be these days has added a lot of juice to the tournament. It's fun. They get salty, we talk some smack, it's all in the game though.

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
I think we had the better chances, except on the PP, and deserved to win.

Having said that, the Swiss team played really well, we missed several good chances in the last few minutes, and were lucky on the tying goal. Not the time, so much as the blocked shot going right back for a second try, and it just squeezing under Genoni's arm.

SaltNPeca

Jan 9, 2017
Köln
Salty Schweizer up in here :laugh:

Thanks for coming out. Good "luck" next year @ home sad and unlucky people.

BruinLVGA

CZ Shadow 2 Compact coming my way!
Dec 15, 2013
Switzerland
Salty Schweizer up in here :laugh:

Thanks for coming out. Good "luck" next year @ home sad and unlucky people.

What's better, being angry about losing a game because of 0.4s or gloating about an OT victory like you are doing? It's not exactly like Canada steamrolled Switzerland.

justanotherfan

Mar 24, 2007
Honestly it was of course a well deserved victory for Canada, a lucky one though.

I thought Switzerland played its worst game of the WC against one of the top six nations. They played way better vs. Sweden and also vs. the Czech (which I both consider just as good as this Canadian team) and even though Russia steamrolled Switzerland in the first ten minutes of their game - the Swiss played better in that game too.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad