Helsinki
Another notch!

All time Russia-Canada:
193 games, Russia won 125, tied 17 and lost 51
according to russian site
http://gazeta.ru/infographics/ih_success.shtml
if anybody has english site stats, please let me know
;)

Well, I was quite happy about your win today - but in all respect shouldn't you count only the games with the best teams? Some of those wins are actually over college and semi-amateur teams from Canada.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
I wonder how many of those wins came when we had amateurs and Russia had their pros. :sarcasm: You guys are the biggest joke in international hockey. Your last meaningful tournament victory came in 1981. :laugh:

No need to get all worked up.

They won this match-up.

There will be others.

PeacEnforcer

May 6, 2011
Bykov was better than Hitchcock, and that says something about Hitchcock.

I think all the penalties ruined the flow of the game though, so both teams looked pretty bad, particularly since both PPs were awful.

PP was abysmal indeed:amazed:, however I don't see how Hitchcock was inferior to Bykov, 'cause our performance was anything but exemplary, to say the very least. Canada did not excel either, but I would not single out Bykov as the better coach based on what we saw in this game: both teams were below par:(

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Well, I was quite happy about your win today - but in all respect shouldn't you count only the games with the best teams? Some of those wins are actually over college and semi-amateur teams from Canada.

People always use the statistics that portray things best from their point of view.

It happens everywhere.

The Big Swede*

PP sucked Hitchcock didn't do much to change it up up until the last 5 min of play

RusskiyHockey

Apr 5, 2008
russkiyhockey.wordpress.com
Another great chapter for the history books of a great rivalry! I'm kidding (but only a little bit). Compared to most other years, this looked like a more focused affair. Goaltender was as crucial as ever. Barulin really surprised me with his stone-cold composure - the polar opposite of the more acrobatic, sensitive Nabokov. It's also good to see Ilya score his first goal - and such a timely one too! This game should've been the final or at least a semifinal, but what can you do?

Fulcrum

ummm...its a one game elimination tournament made up from guys playing overseas and guys who teams couldn't make it past game 5 or 6 of the second round.Relax.

These "guys playing overseas" are the best of the KHL. One of them undressed 2 of the ELITE NHL defenders and scored on an NHL goalie today.

The other guys are Olimpians, and they are only 1/22 reason why their teams couldn't make further in the playoffs.

TonsofPuppies*

Mar 11, 2010
Toronto, ON
It's pretty obvious that the Canadian players don't give it their all in this tournament. Wether it's the coaches fault or the players that simply don't care is hard to say. I'm leaning more towards the players don't care. Which makes it hard for the fans to.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Canada did not excel either, but I would not single out Bykov as the better coach based on what we saw in this game: both teams were below par:(

This is true.

It was actually a pretty forgettable game, aside from the fact that Russia came back in the 3rd, which makes it quite dramatic and exciting from a Russian perspective.

Although, the double minor, the crossbar goal that wasn't, and the pucks hitting people's faces were certainly unusual.

The first period was probably the best period, even though no one scored.

Someguy said:
It's pretty obvious that the Canadian players don't give it their all in this tournament. Wether it's the coaches fault or the players that simply don't care is hard to say. I'm leaning more towards the players don't care. Which makes it hard for the fans to.

It's hard to say.

They certainly had periods of pressure.

I have the feeling that Hitchcock had them on a tight leash and that it made them nervous.

It's the coach's job to motivate the players.

Kuhta

Dec 8, 2006
Helsinki
I wonder how many of those wins came when we had amateurs and Russia had their pros. :sarcasm: You guys are the biggest joke in international hockey. Your last meaningful tournament victory came in 1981. :laugh:

Canadians as classy as always after international loss :help:

You lost. Just live with it.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
These "guys playing overseas" are the best of the KHL. One of them undressed 2 of the ELITE NHL defenders and scored on an NHL goalie today.

It's too bad he couldn't stick with the Senators.

We'd hoped he'd be the 2nd line centre we were looking for.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Canadians as classy as always after international loss :help:

You lost. Just live with it.

Finns rubbing our noses in it as usual.

:help:

Geez, all of you Finns are the same based on this one quote that I've chosen to interpret in a certain way!

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Canada needs to bring superstars to this event.

Unless they're really young, I doubt it'll happen.

Either that, or they become a lot more strict about guys who turn down the call being able to play for the Olympics.

But I can't imagine a Team Canada turning down a Getzlaf for Sochi because he passed on the WCs.

There's no real leverage.

The only alternative is for Canada to host more often, but the IIHF isnt really a fan of that because Europeans don't want to stay up late to watch.

Drij

Mar 5, 2007

The other guys are Olimpians, and they are only 1/22 reason why their teams couldn't make further in the playoffs.

wait wait. Phaneuf and Burns are elite? Bernier a unproven backup is a NHL goalie?

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Another great chapter for the history books of a great rivalry! I'm kidding (but only a little bit). Compared to most other years, this looked like a more focused affair. Goaltender was as crucial as ever. Barulin really surprised me with his stone-cold composure - the polar opposite of the more acrobatic, sensitive Nabokov. It's also good to see Ilya score his first goal - and such a timely one too! This game should've been the final or at least a semifinal, but what can you do?

It should have been Sweden-Russia. :rant: ;)

Next year, the top seeds get to pick their opponent. :P

Canuckommunist

May 2, 2011
Vancouver
Congrats to Russia, a close game but a well-deserved win. As posted in another thread, this is their best year in hockey probably in a long time. It's unfortunate though that even if they swept to 4 straight years of victories in all these categories, it'd still all pale in comparison to the Olympics. They're going to need a really strong showing at Sochi to expunge those demons.

andrjusha

Mar 15, 2008
Fairfax, VA, USA
Sure, lets see those numbers, that is why I asked for
english (NA) site which counts only "important" games :)

Stealth JD

Don't condescend me, man.
Sponsor
Jan 16, 2006
Bonita Springs, FL
Barulin was the MVP of this one.

Kept Russia steady until they got their chances.

Got to think with the Blues' back-up goalie spot available, Doug Armstrong in Slovakia taking in the action, and the fact that Barulin is a 2003 Blues' draftee whose rights are still controlled by St. Louis that there will at least be discussion on bringing him over. Barulin has long wanted assurances of being on the NHL-roster before he'd commit to North America, and with Tarasenko and Nikitin very likely both on the opening day roster there's never been a better chance at getting Barulin to finally come over.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->