GDT: Quarterfinal • May 12 • Russia 2, Canada 1 • Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jimmy Firecracker

Fire Sheldon.
Mar 30, 2010
Mississauga
Sour grapes. All teams face obstacles, I like the tournament. Hockey Canada just has to start taking it seriously by picking good coaches instead of doing favors to those without a job and by being smarter in the players they choose. Russia has been shaming the Canucks by playing with bigger hearts and having their best players want to play for their country.

Agreed 100%.

TonsofPuppies*

Mar 11, 2010
Toronto, ON
Nash had to be playing with an injury. I've never seen him play that consistantly bad... well, ever. If he was injured, he should have declined to play. Let someone more deserving have the C.

Stad

@Mahomes2Helaire
Apr 22, 2007
Saskatoon
I don't care what tournament it is. Losing to your rivals suck. Whether it's NHL, WJC, WHC or Olympics.

I'm most likely in the minority, but I care how Canada does in this tournament. If we're the best in the world we should be better than what we displayed today.

****ing garbage.

We won the one that matters the most, that is all i care about really.

TonsofPuppies*

Mar 11, 2010
Toronto, ON
Lol @ some Canadian guy saying that Russia had their "almost Olympic" roster against Canada's U23 squad.

I counted 10 players from Russia's Olympic squad, that's less than 50%, I like the "almost Olympic" squad.

Plus Canada had A-level guys like Spezza, Nash, Phaneuf, etc which doesn't fit with "U23" squad somehow.

Even so. That's 10x more olympians than we had. :laugh:

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Nash had to be playing with an injury. I've never seen him play that consistantly bad... well, ever. If he was injured, he should have declined to play. Let someone more deserving have the C.

Yeah, he's usually reliable in this tournament.

Fulcrum

I've said this in the other post, but Canada had it coming. You don't half-ass your way to gold medals these days anymore.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
I've said this in the other post, but Canada had it coming. You don't half-ass your way to gold medals these days anymore.

Well, the less talented teams like the ones back in 2003 and 2004 played with a lot more intensity.

Every player on those teams knew their role and played it effectively.

These guys looked sloppy pretty much all the time.

PeacEnforcer

May 6, 2011
I wouldn't say the Russian coaching was outstanding in this one.

Russia was opportunistic and made the most of their chances.

That's what using your skill level can do for you.

Canada could work hard, but didn't have a lot of offensive creativity out there.

Not enough talent I think.

Grudgingly, but I have to agree with u. I'm amazed at the people who contrived to see "good coaching" on the Russian part?! Opportunistic win it is in many ways, on the one hand, on the other,however, Canada's performance was hardly much better, in all honesty.

octopi

Dec 29, 2004
Love how we scored 1 goal on Russia's backup. :laugh:

I cannot express in words how much I detest this team. I wish hockey Canada would boycott this tournament because all they're doing is embarasing themselves and tarnishing Canada's image with every year.

ummm...its a one game elimination tournament made up from guys playing overseas and guys who teams couldn't make it past game 5 or 6 of the second round.Relax.

llwyd

Feb 22, 2006
Helsinki
They've played like this all tournament.

They weren't exactly lethal for the most part.

Sloppy and disorganized. Not capable of a 60 minute performance.

They still should have won this game, but they didn't pot their chances when they had the momentum and it cost them.

Winning 1-0 against this Russian team wasn't going to happen.

Well, the shots for example were of shockingly bad quality for Canadians and I don't know if I saw one rebound won. Where was the aggression, the tempo? (Actually, it did look pretty good for the first 10 minutes of the game, but then it all vanished.) Strange - good to know that you can still have this bad teams sent over here! (Canadian teams in the WC have been quite lethal for the last 5-10 yrs.)

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Grudgingly, but I have to agree with u. I'm amazed at the people who contrived to see "good coaching" on the Russian part?! Opportunistic win it is in many ways, on the one hand, on the other,however, Canada's performance was hardly much better, in all honesty.

Bykov was better than Hitchcock, and that says something about Hitchcock.

I think all the penalties ruined the flow of the game though, so both teams looked pretty bad, particularly since both PPs were awful.

cheerupmurray

May 26, 2010
Stockholm
It could have gone either way. Barulin had a fantastic game.

I don't really get the posters claiming the roster sucked. Canada had a good team, hopefully you send a even better one next year. Clutterbuck was for example the only forward that didn't have 40+ points in NHL this year (and you don't bring him for the scoring) You could have won it all, but Russia got you this time. Your PP was very bad though.

willie

Mar 3, 2002
Visit site
Lol @ some Canadian guy saying that Russia had their "almost Olympic" roster against Canada's U23 squad.

I counted 10 players from Russia's Olympic squad, that's less than 50%, I like the "almost Olympic" squad.

Plus Canada had A-level guys like Spezza, Nash, Phaneuf, etc which doesn't fit with "U23" squad somehow.

For Canada, Spezza & Phaneuf are B-level guys. Nash was Canada's only A team player.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Strange - good know that you can still have this bad teams sent over here! (Canadian teams in the WC have been quite lethal for the last 5-10 yrs.)

Like I said elsewhere, I'm not surprised if we win and I'm not surprised if we finish 8th.

It really is a bit of a crap shoot because there isn't a lot of consistency.

Our coach changes every year, so the system changes every year, and the players change every year.

There isn't a lot of continuity.

It used to be, it was all Edmonton Oilers that would come but those days are gone. ;)

TonsofPuppies*

Mar 11, 2010
Toronto, ON
Another notch!

All time Russia-Canada:
193 games, Russia won 125, tied 17 and lost 51
according to russian site
http://gazeta.ru/infographics/ih_success.shtml
if anybody has english site stats, please let me know
;)

I wonder how many of those wins came when we had amateurs and Russia had their pros. :sarcasm: You guys are the biggest joke in international hockey. Your last meaningful tournament victory came in 1981. :laugh:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->