GDT: Quarterfinal • Jan. 2 • Sweden vs. Finland

Status
Not open for further replies.

BlitzSnipe

Dec 28, 2014
Russia vs. Sweden - the first game was very close. I have the feeling the Swedes are gonna take that one and win gold. But the Russians played well against them and might come out with the win. Should be a great game.

Scrobble

Jul 11, 2013
By far the worst performance of the tournament by Finland. Too bad it came in the QFs, you just cant take multiple 2min 5on3s on this level. Predicting another silver medal for swedes in this tournament though.

Best performance of the tournament by Finland.

Chimpradamus

Feb 16, 2006
Northern Sweden
In the era of smartphones and multifunctional tools, the best players get... a wrist watch. I lol'd.

Very entertaining game all in all. 1st period was a snooze fest, but when the first goal was scored, the hounds were let loose.

Silent Quacker

Jul 26, 2013
It sure was an entertaining one. Cant win tourneys with crappy PP. Hope we wont see Jortikka next year. 'Grats to swedes

Sigismund

Feb 17, 2012
I don't think you can blame the refs with that PP.

It was an easy penalty that first one, but the second Honka's penalty was not. But oh well. Can't win the gold every year, so let those yellow jerseys try it too. It's pretty cool.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
If Finnish coach isn't sacked for that horrendous PP then he is sacked for playing Husso in this game. I get it that he looked good before this game but any time you bench the last years MVP in favor of the guy that ends up giving 5 goals in less than 30 shots, you will take lots of heat for it.

Being 4th in your Group and getting bounced in the QF as the defending champs can't be considered anywhere near good enough.

Husso has played better than Saros all season.

VictorLustig

Feb 8, 2012
Looking through Erikfromfin's glasses, no there will never be neutral referees.......ever

Sure there will, if the right team wins.

I don't think the refs helped Finland in this one, but they should still have scored on their PP's.

Humppaknight

Dec 5, 2005
New Nylander going to be player to hate several years...

Zero PP-goals, Husso could take 2 goals, we deserve to lose.

Scrobble

Jul 11, 2013
Unhappy? Rantanen missed so many chances that it's bordering fantasy.

Rantanen was easily the best Finnish player in this tournament and the best player of this game along with Nylander. And at least he created chances. And Puljujärvi, Kapanen, Lehkonen etc.. all missed more chances than him. Come on dude Rantanen scored half of Finland's goals.

FlutteringSaucer

Apr 27, 2012
Congrats to Swedes. This weakish Finnish team can't win with so bad pp and pk (and so many penalties). Finland would have benefited if the refs let boys play but it was what it was. Seriously not sure if I've ever seen that predictable power play.

Good luck to Swedes for the semis! I'm cheering for you guys against Canada and Russia (still hate you but you're my third least favourite team :naughty: ) Your 5-on-5 needs a lot of work, the only reason you advanced was the difference in pp and pk.

vippe

Mar 18, 2008
Sweden
Congrats to Sweden and Referees. Good game. 4 minutes of 5on3 game over from penalties over nothing. Every year dance. One year maybe there will be neutral referees. Good luck to semis!

You sound like such a broken record. Every single year. Every single game. Finland had just as many teams chances to score but they failed to do so.

Things I take from this game.

Special teams, probably the best in the tournament all things considered.

Give aways probably the most in the tournament.

Hägg, Wallmark both had their best games of the tournament

Aho.. oufff. That was a really really bad game from him. Almost singlehandely brought Finland back in to the game.

Nylander at some points in the game he was the only player capable of entering the finnish zone without losing the puck. Running the play, still disappears at times and gets overconfident at times. Still our best player. Needs a goal badly, preferably early in the semis.

Slimmy

Jan 3, 2009
GBG
Finland gave me a good scare. Honka and Puljujärvi will be fun to watch in the future. Good game, Finns! Special teams was the real difference here.

Tukka Rask

Feb 1, 2012
I hope Julius Honka plays in Dallas next season, guy is awful on powerplay. Every shot he takes hits the defenders legs. He hogs the puck and takes constantly unnecessary one-timers. This guy is the biggest reason for Finland's bad powerplay on this game.

Michael Hockey

Jun 4, 2012
If Finnish coach isn't sacked for that horrendous PP then he is sacked for playing Husso in this game. I get it that he looked good before this game but any time you bench the last years MVP in favor of the guy that ends up giving 5 goals in less than 30 shots, you will take lots of heat for it.

Being 4th in your Group and getting bounced in the QF as the defending champs can't be considered anywhere near good enough.

Except in Finland of course. Probably will hear the same "oh we are such a small country with a limited talent pool" excuse crap all over again.

Keke

Dec 6, 2011
Helsinki, Finland
It's never easy to lose to Sweden but I have to say I really love our rivalry and how much more important games are against Sweden. Let's hope we get to enjoy similar games in the future but with a different score ;)

And even if it pains me,

Good luck Sweden

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad