Quarter Season Update...Rank the Canadian Teams

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
Calgary is an easy 3rd because they play in the worst division in the NHL. Remember that’s why the Leafs got trashed on. “Weak Atlantic...”

Now the Atlantic is easily the best division in the NHL. So Leafs 1, Jets 2, Calgary 3
Lol. Toronto has yet to play either of Tampa or Buffalo. Calgary has only played 9 intradivisional games thus far. Calgary has beat Toronto, Buffalo, and Boston.

Drytoast

Sep 27, 2017
Toronto has yet to actually play Tampa or Buffalo. Winnipeg has actually played Nashville and Colorado. Toronto barely beat a slumping Jets team early on in close games.

Calgary beat Toronto does that make Calgary the better team?

Toronto may still prove to be better than Winnipeg, but to call them an entirely better class of team is silly.

Well I guess Winnipeg shouldn't have been slumping then, huh?

We have more points.
We play in an entirely harder division.
We beat them twice.

We have had a more successful run thus far and we did that without Matthews and Nylander. How does Winnipeg fair without Laine and Shieffle?

As of mid season report;

Toronto.
than
Winnipeg.

Last edited:

crackdown44

Cold milk cools down hot food
Dec 1, 2017

We have more points.
We beat them twice.

We have had a more successful run thus far and we did that without Matthews and Nylander. How does Winnipeg fair without Laine and Shieffle?

As of mid season report;

Toronto.
than
Winnipeg.

I agree that Toronto has shown to be the better team so far but the divisional argument isn’t really in play yet as divisional games tend to stack towards the end of the season because the NHL wants teams playing meaningful games down the stretch. As was mentioned earlier, Toronto hasn’t even played Buffalo or Tampa yet and I think they’ve split their first two with Boston

SKRusty

Napalm
Jan 20, 2016

We have more points.
We beat them twice.

As of mid season report;

Toronto.
than
Winnipeg.

That's laughable. Toronto has had the easiest schedule of Calgary, Winnipeg and the Leafs.

Winnipeg has not beat a contender yet

Toronto has beat Washington and Winnipeg as it's top teams in the standings. Toronto has not played Tampa, Buffalo, Nashville or Colorado.

Calgary has played and beat Nashville (1-1), Colorado (2-0), Toronto , Winnipeg, Buffalo.

So the playing in a harder division thing is crap. The only divisional teams TO has faced is Ottawa, Montreal, and an injured Bruins team.

Peggy

Aug 6, 2016
Based on what? Flames have a better goal differential, better goals against and same goals for (albeit played 1 more game).

Flames have more PPG players than Toronto has and Gio is only 5 points behind Reilly (24 points which would tie him for 3rd among Jets players), and have 2 more PPG players than the Jets do. Flames are also the only team (or were up until 3 days ago) to have 4 players in double digit goal totals.

I ain't arguing the Flames are the top team, but the Leafs (who have had no playoff success with their core where the Flames have won a series) and Jets aren't in a tier above the Flames, especially since the Flames have beaten both teams this year. I'd rank them all in the same tier. Arguing the Jets above because of last years playoff run is valid, but to say they have a better roster when the Flames are equal to or better in every statistical category isn't valid. Personally I have all 3 at the top in the same tier.

Winnipeg has a better roster , says the rankings last year

Calgary has a more balanced roster right now and they're playing well, but they're counter parts aren't better than Winnipeg's

Last edited:

Fire Treliving

Jan 11, 2014
Winnipeg has a better roster , says the rankings last year

Calgary has a more balanced roster right now and they're playing well, but they're counter parts aren't better than Winnipeg's

Last year, sure. This year, no. I would say they're pretty much equal and the standings would suggest the same.

Isaac Nootin

Sep 28, 2017
That's laughable. Toronto has had the easiest schedule of Calgary, Winnipeg and the Leafs.

Toronto has beat Washington and Winnipeg as it's top teams in the standings. Toronto has not played Tampa, Buffalo, Nashville or Colorado.

Calgary has played and beat Nashville (1-1), Colorado (2-0), Toronto , Winnipeg, Buffalo.

So the playing in a harder division thing is crap. The only divisional teams TO has faced is Ottawa, Montreal, and an injured Bruins team.

So what you're saying is, Calgary has lost to a bunch of bad teams then? Not exactly a selling point.

Reactions: Brock Radunske

Nizdizzle

Offseason Is The Worst Season
Jul 7, 2007
Windsor, Ontario
twitter.com
So, this was my ranking going into the season (Sept. 13 2018):
Winnipeg (Currently 3rd)
Toronto (Currently 1st)

Calgary (Currently 2nd)

Edmonton (Currently 5th)/Vancouver (Currently 7th)

Montreal (Currently 4th)/Ottawa (Currently 6th)

I'd be pretty close with MTL and VAN swapped. I'm still not convinced Calgary is the same tier of team with Toronto/Winnipeg, even with their hot start (and the Jets have fallen short of what I expected of them this year - I expected them to be battling for the top spot). I knew Calgary was better than their season indicated last year, I'll be curious to see if they keep this pace through the season.

Drytoast

Sep 27, 2017

For Calgary to get on our level they would need to outperform us while having removed their top center and their second best winger.

Do that and then we can have a debate. :)

Reactions: Brock Radunske

qwerty

Feb 4, 2007
Calgary
So what you're saying is, Calgary has lost to a bunch of bad teams then? Not exactly a selling point.
Kinda hard to win when you have one of the worst starting goaltenders this season. Smith’s .886 sv% while facing the least shots per game is as bad as it gets.

Also, they haven’t lost to a lot of bad teams either. The teams they’ve lost to are all in the playoffs except:

VGK - 9th in west, SC Finalist
PIT - 2 x Stanley Cup champs
STL - Bad loss
VAN - Home opener, Flames never win home openers, they’ve lost like 9 straight if I’m not mistaken

Uncle Bill

Know it all
Sep 21, 2011
Winnipeg is not a cup contender with Hellebuyck playing so poorly this year.

He is the reason we are losing many games.
He is ONE of the reasons the Winnipeg Jets have lost EIGHT games so far. Too frequent poor team defence is as big a reason the jets have lost EIGHT games so far. Imagine, only two teams have lost fewer games...

The Winnipeg Jets are still very much a cup contender.

tntkid

Fire Maurice & Chevy
Nov 27, 2011
Winnipeg, Manitoba
He is ONE of the reasons the Winnipeg Jets have lost EIGHT games so far. Too frequent poor team defence is as big a reason the jets have lost EIGHT games so far. Imagine, only two teams have lost fewer games...

The Winnipeg Jets are still very much a cup contender.

The Jets have to score 4 or more goals to win a game this season because of our awful goal tending.

That is not sustainable.

Kybb79

Sep 13, 2016
For Calgary to get on our level they would need to outperform us while having removed their top center and their second best winger.

I think the refs evened out that game and the Flames still won.

Uncle Bill

Know it all
Sep 21, 2011

Teams suffer injuries. Good teams overcome injuries. Kudos. Your leafs survived. Still, the leafs have had extraordinary good health this year and last.

Last year the Winnipeg Jets lost more man-games due to injury than all teams save four and still finished second overall.

Don’t gloat.

Uncle Bill

Know it all
Sep 21, 2011
The Jets have to score 4 or more goals to win a game this season because of our awful goal tending.

That is not sustainable.
Lol. Not every game. Fortunately they have the horses though when needed. Climb in from the ledge.

Drytoast

Sep 27, 2017
Teams suffer injuries. Good teams overcome injuries. Kudos. Your leafs survived. Still, the leafs have had extraordinary good health this year and last.

Last year the Winnipeg Jets lost more man-games due to injury than all teams save four and still finished second overall.

Don’t gloat.

don't gloat?

do you not see how upset people are that they have no other Canadian team to toss out there as being better than Toronto at this point?

“Cant have toronto at the top of any list”...

it must really sting.

Last edited:

Uncle Bill

Know it all
Sep 21, 2011
don't gloat?

do you not see how upset people are that they have no other Canadian team to toss out there as being better than Toronto at this point?

“Cant have toronto at the top of any list”...

it must really sting.
No, the leafs are playing very well. They absolutely deserve top ranking. I’m suggesting humility is a better response. Frankly though, you should know sayin’ "Cant have toronto at the top of any list”... it must really sting." is why so many people write *stuff* you dislike.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad