Quarter Season Update...Rank the Canadian Teams

Peggy

Aug 6, 2016
Last year, sure. This year, no. I would say they're pretty much equal and the standings would suggest the same.

Last season is technically still this year

Winnipeg's counter parts are better and have more depth

Winnipeg is struggling and you're saying they're equal. What's that say about Calgary. At least Winnipeg ascended last year

Last edited:

Peggy

Aug 6, 2016
Well I guess Winnipeg shouldn't have been slumping then, huh?

We have more points.
We play in an entirely harder division.
We beat them twice.

We have had a more successful run thus far and we did that without Matthews and Nylander. How does Winnipeg fair without Laine and Shieffle?

As of mid season report;

Toronto.
than
Winnipeg.

No they haven't. Toronto hasn't past the first round in how long?

You know what's annoying. Leafs fans are still using the "we best you in regular season" argument. Laughs.gans have learned nothing. Just the same poop continues to cone out of their mouth every year
This is why no one likes laughs fans

Peggy

Aug 6, 2016
The Jets have to score 4 or more goals to win a game this season because of our awful goal tending.

That is not sustainable.

Maybe they should figure out how to play without vezina goaltending

Last edited:

Drytoast

Sep 27, 2017
No, the leafs are playing very well. They absolutely deserve top ranking. I’m suggesting humility is a better response. Frankly though, you should know sayin’ "Cant have toronto at the top of any list”... it must really sting." is why so many people write *stuff* you dislike.

yes that's exactly why they write stuff I dislike...

AnonoJet

Jul 22, 2013
Jets fan here. I have no problem putting the Leaf's at the top of the list at this point in the season. The "who is best" argument is un-winnable, because fans with vested interests can always trot out an argument that they believe is compelling, but will never convince anyone on the other side. So it always surprises me, how much effort people put into un-winnable arguments.

Re the Jets, if they were dependable in third periods like last year, they would only have three or four losses right now. Shoulda, woulda, coulda, but if Helle finds his game, and they can tighten up when they have a lead, then their relative ranking could change a lot before the season is up.

Naturaledge

Dec 31, 2013
Does anyone actually give a rats arse which Canadian team is the best after some odd 27 games into the season??

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
Does anyone actually give a rats arse which Canadian team is the best after some odd 27 games into the season??
Lol. Only Toronto fans. We apparently need multiple threads declaring the Leafs the best at this or that, despite there being a lot of hockey left to play. The fact is all 3 of Toronto, Winnipeg, and Calgary are separated by very few points, and any one of them could surge ahead in a weak, let alone the remaining 2/3 of the season.

flamesforcup

Sep 5, 2017
If the Flames had a good goalie i would easily put them ahead of the Leafs and right there with the Jets. Until than we will be 3rd.

flamesforcup

Sep 5, 2017
Lol. Only Toronto fans. We apparently need multiple threads declaring the Leafs the best at this or that, despite there being a lot of hockey left to play. The fact is all 3 of Toronto, Winnipeg, and Calgary are separated by very few points, and any one of them could surge ahead in a weak, let alone the remaining 2/3 of the season.
And Toronto has gotten the best goaltending of any Canadian team so far which has masked alot of their deficiency's. They better hope Anderson doesnt get injured/slump or they will fall off a cliff real quick.

Just Linda

Feb 24, 2018
Would love to hear what makes the Flames system bad. I mean it sounds like you watch a lot of Flames hockey.

The Peters system emphasizes positioning on D. Shooters have all the time in the world to shoot and nothing stopping them from getting a solid look. 20 years ago it was effective but shooters nowadays are too good to be given that time to shoot. I caught the game tonight, shooters weren't being made to react and instead folded in to try to block the shot rather than to take away shooting angles. The tight box D Peters uses is out of date.

Drytoast

Sep 27, 2017
And Toronto has gotten the best goaltending of any Canadian team so far which has masked alot of their deficiency's. They better hope Anderson doesnt get injured/slump or they will fall off a cliff real quick.

I guess sparks is the second best goalie then huh?

:sarcasm:

qwerty

Feb 4, 2007
Calgary
The Peters system emphasizes positioning on D. Shooters have all the time in the world to shoot and nothing stopping them from getting a solid look. 20 years ago it was effective but shooters nowadays are too good to be given that time to shoot. I caught the game tonight, shooters weren't being made to react and instead folded in to try to block the shot rather than to take away shooting angles. The tight box D Peters uses is out of date.
Do you take yourself as some kind of professional or something? Because the Flames are a top 10 team in goals allowed and even better since the Penguins woke them up in October. They haven’t even received unsustainable Vezina calibre goaltending to do so. If anything they’ve received the exact opposite with Mike Smith’s poor performance this season.

Reactions: Flames Fanatic

Skolman

Feb 16, 2018
I hate both teams, but I think in a playoff showdown the Jets would beat the Leafs.

This would be incredibly painful, as the bandwagon Jets fans would be out in full force here in MB.

Fishboy*

Jun 29, 2017
Azerbaijan
For so many years there was only ever one clear best Canadian team (changed over time) and now that 3 could claim the spot they feel cheated.

libertarian

Jul 27, 2017
Middle Earth

You know what's annoying. Leafs fans are still using the "we best you in regular season" argument. Laughs.gans have learned nothing. Just the same poop continues to cone out of their mouth every year

As a Jet fan I get you don't like the Leafs. Agree that the Leafs have to translate regular season success with a PO success. Last year the Jets never won a PO game yet made it to the WCF. Who to say that this is not the year the Leafs make the same kind of move in the PO's? They deffinitly have the talent to do so. They have to prove it first but they are proving so far that they have the talent to do it. Leaf fans are Leaf fans that believe their team is ready to take the next step. Some cross the line like every team in the league fans have done but most are just hoping this is the year they win it all. Are they any different then Jet fans that are hoping for the same thing?

Last edited:

Voodoo Child

Jun 16, 2009

And if the Jets beat the Leafs 5-4 all we'd hear is 'lol we beat you!'

Apparently the Leafs beat the Jets, but didn't beat them by enough to 'beat' them.

What trophy does Winnipeg get for winning two rounds? I think the Leafs have the same one.

'The Leafs have had the best goaltending!'...I am shocked that a good team has a good goalie.

Leafs
Jets
Flames

Oilers
Habs

Sens
Canucks

Just Linda

Feb 24, 2018
Do you take yourself as some kind of professional or something? Because the Flames are a top 10 team in goals allowed and even better since the Penguins woke them up in October. They haven’t even received unsustainable Vezina calibre goaltending to do so. If anything they’ve received the exact opposite with Mike Smith’s poor performance this season.

If a team is gonna have two holes, the net and the coach are probably the worst two to have. Peters has never been an effective coach, he didn't magically turn it around he just acquired a good team. I can't for the life of me see Calgary win a playoff series against most teams in the league.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->